Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Waffenak

Doom architecture

Have ever stopped on some hallway or alley and wondered:"this reminds me of something familiar". I mean buildings or enviroments with doom vibe in it. I had this kind of feeling yesterday morning while standing before the university buildings with its night lighting still on early at morning, creating strong light and shadows constrast on its slick stone walls

Not really, but whenever I see green hills I think of Episode 1.

Quake-esque environments, on the other hand, were a frequent sighting whenever I used to explore medieval castles as a kid.

Familiar to Doom? As in Doom and Doom 2?
Don't know how's that possible with so limited and unrealistic architectures.
Although I can see in any place inspiration for scenarios in games.

LkMax said:

Familiar to Doom? As in Doom and Doom 2?
Don't know how's that possible with so limited and unrealistic architectures.
Although I can see in any place inspiration for scenarios in games.

Yes. I meant classic Dooms. Very pure lines in architecture appear also in real life. I meant for instance those box shaped houses with big windows and simple dark corridors

GreyGhost said:

My cluttered garage remind me of the crate maze in E2M2, though with fewer imps.

What happened to them? The Imps in your garage.

Imagine if a Doom map was recreated in real life. Map01 would attract doomers from all over the world. Someone has to build a Doom World -amusement park with various locations from Doom 1-2.

A few years ago I had the idea to get E3M7 recreated in real life, I'd love to live in a place like that minus the blood and rising wall of course. :P

I've had in mind that if someone recreated Map01 for their home, it would go to Believe It or Not! -stories at least.

Avoozl said:

E3M7

I think the only obstacle you have there are the teleports. ))

EvilNed01 said:

What happened to them? The Imps in your garage.

The RSPCA took most of them away, don't know if they've had any luck finding new owners for them. I was allowed to keep one as a pet and have managed to teach it to bark, beg, roll over and play dead, though I suspect few of the neighbors really believe it's a dog, especially when Fido hurls a fireball at them.

ASD said:

I've had in mind that if someone recreated Map01 for their home, it would go to Believe It or Not! -stories at least.

I think the only obstacle you have there are the teleports. ))

Oh right, I forgot to mention those. :P

If I would be millionaire, creating Doom e1m1 as a mansion type thing would be neat. The stairway and little tower with body armor would be bedrooms and the courtyard with acid pool would be swimming pool and the list goes on

Waffenak said:

Have ever stopped on some hallway or alley and wondered:"this reminds me of something familiar".

There's seems to be a fad starting back up because of KDiZD where people think it's okay to constantly "revamp" the original levels, or the levels of the other more notable wads. Other than that, I don't really notice anything usually.

Coopersville said:

There's seems to be a fad starting back up because of KDiZD where people think it's okay to constantly "revamp" the original levels, or the levels of the other more notable wads. Other than that, I don't really notice anything usually.

There's a non-sequitur if I ever saw one.

Occasionally, but they usually are deliberately abstract, "artsy" or unusual architectures to begin with, that just happen to be within the limits of the Doom engine. I usually see such architectures as deliberate design elements in e.g. avant-garde buildings such as uni campuses or some corporate office buildings, but not in ordinary day-to-day houses and offices.

Observing real life environments made me realize how pointless and silly overdetailing is.

DoomUK said:

There's a non-sequitur if I ever saw one.

Huh? What part of "no, the closest it gets is maps reminding me of other maps" doesn't make sense?

I had always fantasized about getting STARTAN3 wallpaper for my house. It's rather ridiculous though and probably doubly harder to obtain.