Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
flubbernugget

Heavy Metal With Triads/Chords

Does it exist? Most metal bands seem to only use power chords and tritones in their music. I know this is because the large amounts of distortion in metal greatly reduce the clarity of a large amount of notes played simultaneously, and because power chords just plain sound heavy, but is there any avant-garde music that combines the vocal and melodic playing styles of heavy metal with a rhythm section that emphasizes a texture based on actual chords instead of intervals?

I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for, but I have a special place in my heart reserved for The Red Chord.

Even if they keep getting less creative with each album.

I've noticed doom metal often utilizes minor chords. But with that particular brand of metal, a little sludge is key. I'm not really a metal fan.

Nomad said:

Yes.

Always ignored these guys confusing them with Otep. Big mistake.

Bucket said:

I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for, but I have a special place in my heart reserved for The Red Chord.
Even if they keep getting less creative with each album.

I've been looking more for music with an overall feel more like the bridge of that song. Really good band though, I'll have to look into more of their work.

flubbernugget said:

Always ignored these guys confusing them with Otep. Big mistake.

Haha, I think I may have done that a long time ago myself. The vast majority of their stuff isn't quite as jazzy as that song, but I think they'd still qualify as what you're looking for. Possibly my favorite of theirs:

flubbernugget said:

I've been looking more for music with an overall feel more like the bridge of that song [the Red Chord song bucket posted]

In that case you may be looking for something more post-rock/post-metal! My absolute first recommendation there is going to be Russian Circles!

Also that bridge you speak of (if it's the same part I'm thinking of), reminded me of Isis.

Hope that helps!

flubbernugget said:

I've been looking more for music with an overall feel more like the bridge of that song. Really good band though, I'll have to look into more of their work.

You'd probably love Atheist. Death metal + latin jazz.

Atheist is great. I think I preferred Unquestionable Presence to Elements, but Elements might have been a bit more memorable.

For metal with good harmonic content, I highly recommend Extol or their offshoot, Mantric.

ITT: DoomUK is not amused by your worthless music preferences once again.

What's up with all the petty requirements anyway? I divide this music thing into two genres - like & dislike. You may end up liking stuff you didn't know you'd like this way.

j4rio said:

When my global autocracy is realised, you WILL listen to what sub-genres of metal I tell you to.

j4rio said:

What's up with all the petty requirements anyway? I divide this music thing into two genres - like & dislike. You may end up liking stuff you didn't know you'd like this way.

If you're talking about the OP, I thought he was trying to be petty at first too, but I think he was genuinely looking for something new.

TheEndOfUs said:
Rolling Stones Beast of Burden on Youtube

OK as long as we're linking music that has nothing to do with the thread's topic, have some of this.

j4rio said:

Yeah, just something new. I like lots of metal that is more "traditional" but was honestly looking for new music with sounds I really haven't heard before.

If I like a song it's probably for a certain reason, and I have numerous reasons for liking songs that I like seeing blended in different ways. I personally like to look at songs as to why I like them and don't like them, and look for other music I would probably like from there.

flubbernugget said:

but was honestly looking for new music with sounds I really haven't heard before.

Well...

Bet you haven't heard anything like that before, haha.

I really like the classical influence it has; it's a lot more prominent than most symphonic metal. The vocals are really obnoxious and don't blend well to me though.

flubbernugget said:

The vocals are really obnoxious and don't blend well to me though.

Oh that's just Garm. He's consistently come up with new ways to ruin nearly every album he sings on. Years ago, I tried to get a petition going to have his throat ripped out, but it didn't get too far. At least he's earned some level of pardon with The Sham Mirrors and his recent Ulver work.

Haha, yeah. He was obnoxious on Masquerade, but he was great on Sham Mirrors.

I was listening to Týr today and remembered this thread; thought I'd mention them if you were looking for something that's a little bit more Rock than Metal; they most DEFINITELY apply to your request: