Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Eviltech demos [-complevel 2]

Note that some maps in this wad will not work correctly (with any -complevel) due to Zdoomisms (and there could be other problems), so any recording on this wad should be viewed as experimental until each map has been verified.

That sucks. I'll try to convince the author to fix zdoomisms, or at least get permission to make prboom-friendly version.

Memfis said:

That sucks. I'll try to convince the author to fix zdoomisms, or at least get permission to make prboom-friendly version.

I'll make the compability fix version soon!

On MAP32, how am I supposed to get out of the secret sector 589 after picking up the berserk and killing the keen?

Looks like a zdoomism. But there is a solution: you need to cross linedef 2920 when the sector 588 is not "active" (otherwise that linedef's action will not work and you will not be able to trigger it again because it's a W1 action).

te32keen.zip

Ah thanks. Another "solution", which however I wouldn't dare to try, would be to get some monsters standing there and blocking the lift.

Another ZDoomism I found is on MAP13. It is not fatal, but makes the yellow (if I remember) key trap much easier under vanilla settings, as a few sergeants are trapped in a ceiling.

Heh, MAP32 is non-maxable even in ZDoom if you play it under Doom-strict compatibility. The reason: when inside the sector 1254 you need to activate linedef 7198 (tag 100, skull switch) in order to get out. This just doesn't work. Is it due to adjacent sector heights? No idea. I'm out of the awkward idea of recording on this map for good now.

vdgg said:

Heh, MAP32 is non-maxable even in ZDoom if you play it under Doom-strict compatibility. The reason: when inside the sector 1254 you need to activate linedef 7198 (tag 100, skull switch) in order to get out. This just doesn't work. Is it due to adjacent sector heights? No idea. I'm out of the awkward idea of recording on this map for good now.

I remember that secret, It's a zdoomism, due to two tagged linedefs being too much close one from the other, I did't know that fact when editing at that time.

Nicolas, I know I'm harsh with my comments, but it's because I care. I like many maps a lot, you surely put an enormous effort in the concepts and layouts, and then... I see minimum effort put into playtesting which is a pity. You can always count on me as a playtester if you happen to release any WADs in the future.

vdgg said:

Nicolas, I know I'm harsh with my comments, but it's because I care. I like many maps a lot, you surely put an enormous effort in the concepts and layouts, and then... I see minimum effort put into playtesting which is a pity. You can always count on me as a playtester if you happen to release any WADs in the future.

I know, I think that is because it's my first megawad and it was fomerly tested under zdoom, many aspects of the port compatibility were ommited due to inexperience at that time too, by the way I was conscious all the time that I'm better in desing than in gameplay, but I'm looking foward to learn more about gameplay issues to make good enjoyable maps. Another point is that I wanted to finish it on time, like an stupid goal, a need of publishing it and taking an editing-recess perhaps without making the last touches of perfectionism. I'm not editing maps at this time, maybe in the future, I love mapping but life interpose sometimes!

As I recorded two ZDoom (2.7.1) demos this week, I decided to continue and make a max on a really nice map, MAP13 (San Juan). The time is 19:03. This time, the demo does *not* play back with 2.6.1 fully.

The reason why not PrBoom+, well, you can finish the map with this port, but the yellow key trap loses its teeth, some monsters were stuck in the ceiling if I remember well.

te13-1903.zip

vdgg said:

As I recorded two ZDoom (2.7.1) demos this week, I decided to continue and make a max on a really nice map, MAP13 (San Juan). The time is 19:03. This time, the demo does *not* play back with 2.6.1 fully.

The reason why not PrBoom+, well, you can finish the map with this port, but the yellow key trap loses its teeth, some monsters were stuck in the ceiling if I remember well.

Nice demo, it seems you remember where all the secrets are. If you liked map13 I think you liked map15 too, the midi track is from "Charly Garcia - Raros peinados nuevos" just in case you wanna know!

nicolas monti said:

the midi track is from "Charly Garcia - Raros peinados nuevos" just in case you wanna know!

Ah, thanks for that :)

Awesome song, one of the best in eviltech. :) Cool to know its origin. A bit of offtopic but can you please write the names of all songs that you know? I think you picked some really nice ones. I only recognized these:

02 - Maniac by Michael Sembello
05 - Das Boot movie theme
10 - Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
11 - TNT Evilution intermission/map31
13 - you've just told us
19 - Osiris.wad intermission
24 - Terminator movie theme
27 - chris3.mid by Christopher Wilkins
29 - Blade Runner movie theme
30 - Lullaby by The Cure

Also very nice to see a new demo for this wad, gonna watch it tomorrow for breakfast. :) Now I want to record some more too.

07 - Equinoxe 4 by JM Jarre
16 - Big in Japan by Alphaville
19 - Osiris, right, but originally in Doom Invade1.wad I think and it came from...?

the remaining are:

map01/34: ? (I desperately want to know since 1995 when I played smiley safari e1m1)
map03: nirvana - verse chorus verse
map04: nirvana - mexican seafood
map06: ? (smiley safari e1m6 I guess and found on ep4b wad, my second favorite)
map08: nirvana - love buzz
map09: ? (another smiley safari midi)
map12: paralamas do sucesso - track track (fito paez cover)
map14: sailor moon - makenai
map15: sailor moon - death moon circus theme
map17: soda stereo - entre canibales
map18: los abuelos de la nada - lunes por la madrugada
map20: babasonicos - los calientes
map21: charly garcia - adela en el carrousel
map22: charly garcia - estoy verde
map23: amistades peligrosas - me quedaré solo
map25: nirvana - dive
map26: ? (anothet smiley safari midi I guess)
map28: depeche mode - stripped
map31: soda stereo - zoom
map32: soda stereo - nada personal
map33: patricia sosa - el mar mas grande que hay
intermission: sailor moon - amazon quartet theme

I didn't know about the origin of the map27's music, thanks!
I guess the track of map19 remains unknown.

Thanks for the lists!

By the way, I think it might be a good idea to use ZDaemon for recording on "limit removing" wads with zdoomisms. It actually has an awesome demo system with almost instant rewind\skip forward (this comes at the cost of filesize though) and you can freely fly around the level as spectator. AND it takes demo compatibility very seriously, even 1.0 demos (more than 10 years old) still play back fine. Some ZDoom wads will work in ZDaemon too though it doesn't support all features.
If I understand correctly, you can't record local games so you have to start your server and connect to it in order to get recording working. Perhaps dew and TimeOfDeath could elaborate on this.

For me MAP13 is slightly broken, MAP32 is seriously broken (see posts above), the rest is OK, but you never know...

Map 26 UV Max in 4:21

EDIT: 24 seems like a no-go for this WAD.
Some barrel stops an area from lowering that you're supposed to get out off.

te26-421.zip