Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

Black Friday Riot Breaks Out At Walmart

In a Walmart located in the state of Georgia there was a riot over a bunch of cell phones for sale during Black Friday. The cell phones that many people fought over were smart phones and sales for them skyrocketed. Read this article for more information.

Here's video footage of the riot:

Aleaver said:

If only people put this sort of passion into something useful...Then things may not be so bad.

Or simply saved their money instead of buying iGadget v1.22324.0000

Well what you expect from people that think they're saving money by spending it.

Edit: Damn it, Technician.

*FACEPALM* (at your comments)

The whole idea is that yes, they're saving money, by buying the thing they've wanted, at a massively reduced price. It's the organization that sucked; ordering should have been online-only, to prevent any fighting.

Also buying gadgets is pretty damn useful if you know what you are going to do with them, stop pretending you're on a high horse.

Good christ, that old lady who got a face full of hand and her prizes ripped right from her hands.

Man, that'd be so fucking fun to just bring like a bag tear gas 'nades and just roll them under their feet.

NiTROACTiVE said:

Read this article for religious whining.

Fixed that for you. Editorializing like that doesn't constitute information.

Some Canadian news reports talked about how peaceful our Black Friday sales were compared with American variety. They speculated it was a combination of us being nicer (a claim I don't really believe most days) and the fact that Canada has only really just started the Black Friday thing. It's not a holiday here, so far more people show up on Boxing Day.

printz said:

*FACEPALM* (at your comments)

The whole idea is that yes, they're saving money, by buying the thing they've wanted, at a massively reduced price. It's the organization that sucked; ordering should have been online-only, to prevent any fighting.

Also buying gadgets is pretty damn useful if you know what you are going to do with them, stop pretending you're on a high horse.

High horse, eh buddy? They're getting their new toy for the sake of a new toy. My iGaget v.million remark was a jab at the fact that they are buying a product that they probably already own for a slightly more advanced version with a shinny new coat of paint. As much money as they saved on it, I'm confident they will certainly make up for it with digital win-dings.

Does it really need to be explained that it costs more money to buy an iPhone on sale than it does to not buy anything at all?

Lol marketing. I remember last year someone using pepper spray and tazers at last year's Walmart videogames Black Friday sale. Next year, Walmart should purposely put all "valuable" sale material in a giant arena in the middle of an empty section and watch the lulz. I watched another video where people bought an item on sale with tickets, and then sold them right back to other people for a profit.

Oh and massive online ordering is equivilent to a legitimate DDOS.

I worked a few shopping seasons in big box retail and the way people thought and acted both scared and saddened me. As soon as a pallet of something was placed on the sales floor, it was like watching a bunch of hyenas fighting over a kill.

I worked in tech support during a couple of those. It's crazy how many clueless illiterates call tech support the day after Black Friday. The call volume quintuples and they all get to wait an hour to be told they should try pressing enter to log in (no, the people running call centres aren't smart enough to deal with this correctly).

Satyr000 said:

I worked a few shopping seasons in big box retail and the way people thought and acted both scared and saddened me. As soon as a pallet of something was placed on the sales floor, it was like watching a bunch of hyenas fighting over a kill.

It's exactly what it is, but it's worse. Hyenas fight to survive. Humans fight for materialistic gain, so they can walk away with cheaply and unethically made stuff which is probably still overpriced, at mega chain stores that have destroyed the ability to do normal, local business which benefits one's own community.

When the arrangements of society become so perverse, such behavior becomes the new norm. Which part of the Christmas gift giving process is supposed to involve killing people?

Quasar said:

Which part of the Christmas gift giving process is supposed to involve killing people?

Maybe they're re-enacting the Massacre of the Innocents?

Quasar said:

Which part of the Christmas gift giving process is supposed to involve killing people?

The part where people do whatever to get whatever because they "want it" not matter what it takes. No more reason then that. Fuck everyone else.

People who fight over material goods like that are no better than the mindless marketers who produce this tripe over pieces of plastic and silicon which cause people to act like savages.

Idiots.

Aliotroph? said:

Some Canadian news reports talked about how peaceful our Black Friday sales were compared with American variety. They speculated it was a combination of us being nicer (a claim I don't really believe most days) and the fact that Canada has only really just started the Black Friday thing. It's not a holiday here, so far more people show up on Boxing Day.

I can't speak for Canada, but this kind of thing is just unheard of in Britain. I just can't imagine the Germans, or the Japanese, or the Australians, or whoever else literally fighting over a new model of phone, either.

Look, I love America very much for a variety of reasons, not limited to it's peoples, but as a nation it's the epicentre of consumerism and materialism which affects certain people's rationality and common sense, as is patently evident in this story, albeit an isolated incident.

Doesn't this shit happen every year? I know we had a thread about some sales-fuelled violence last year and probably the year before as well!

Phobus said:

Doesn't this shit happen every year? I know we had a thread about some sales-fuelled violence last year and probably the year before as well!

Every year and more often then not many times through out the shopping seasons. Store employees being trampled to death and people using pepper spray are pretty common.

There's a reason why I do 90% of my holiday shopping online, and the other 10% on Monday-Wednesday daylight hours if possible. Oh, and never come within 150 ft. of a Walmart (it seems kind of bizarre that 90% of these stampedes/riots/brawls/etc. happen at a Walmart) entrance between Thanksgiving and January 2nd. I'd rather not deal with the insanity out there.

Also, re: criticizing people for taking advantage of sales... okay, I get it, they don't need that upgraded cell phone with the 4G network, space heater and holographic nude Lady Gaga, but they're going to buy it anyways. I think scolding them for this is sort of missing the root of the problem here, and it's not going to fix anything.

In the good old days when there was a limited supply of something it was given out in a first-come first-serve basis and people stood in line and took their turn.

Those that wanted to be disorderly or act like craven savages could be arrested.

Now it's more like throwing slop to the hogs. Occasionally the farmer falls in and gets eaten, and nobody cares. Especially not the hogs.

There was a headline in the newspaper last week that the employees at walmart were threatening to go on strike on black friday. That would have been a nightmare. The mob mentality of those people I think is less about the savings and more about knowing that being within that huge mass of freaks, you're pretty much impossible to suppress.

Here's mark dice. He makes anti-"illuminati" and anti-alex jones videos too. Maybe alex jones' niche was rabble rousing to gain popularity at any expense, purposely having antics for others to attack. Then people like mark dice can attack those antics as a tactic to seem like a rational person to listen to in comparison. But he talks about a lot of the same stuff; buying gold/silver, federal reserve printing money. Maybe they all work together in a big organized full spectrum attack against critical financial structures to bring the country down. They're both religious too. Maybe all this crap is christianity's weird response and counter-tactic to richard dawkins' memetic spread of atheism, trying to keep christianity alive by fusing it to new memeplexes like 911 truth and what have you. Riiiiight...

Aleaver said:

If only people put this sort of passion into something useful.

EXACTLY! Like into ensuring that the new trilogy of Star Wars will turn out to be exactly what most of us want for it to be rather than turning out as a heart-breaking disappointment.
Or like they should've done back in 2002 and 2003 to ensure than DOOM3 really would've been a sequel rather than a useless reboot with a false name.
Or like they should've done when the DOOM movie was in production.
Now that would've truly been useful.

I thought i lost faith in humanity when i was dubiously tricked into clicking on a link which opened up an animated gif of a man making chocolate milk in his butt with nestle quick. i do believe this tops that.

I have never even attempted shopping 'Black Fridays' due to the fact that they show the horrid viscous outcome of such events on the evening news following them. who would want to put them self's through that? for a $199-299 laptop that they are only going to have 5-10 of per store? with a crowd line wrapping around the building at 5 a.m.?

And this has been going on for years. one year a major shopping mall in my area had to close early due to the crowds and riotous conditions that began shortly after they opened their door's.

You want a good deal? scour the internet. there is always good deals to be had. black friday 24/7.

I'm jealous of your American Black Fridays, but not jealous of your pious reactions after the fact. Stay out of the mosh pit if you aren't expecting at least a couple of cracked ribs.

A number of years ago, a friend of my sister was visiting the UK from a recently de-communised country. One of his comments will always stick with me because I think it sums things like this up quite nicely:

"I can't believe that your shops are so full of stuff that nobody needs and that people are buying it."

No doubt it's the same in his country now.