Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyka

SMMU port question [demo walkcam]

So I was browsing the Doom wikia today, and I 'discovered' the port 'SMMU' (Smack My Marine Up.)

And as I was reading, I noticed it had this feature.

'e.g. the ability to walk around demos while they are playing.'

And I thought to myself what an awesome thing to be able to do.

Now SMMU is long since abandoned, but was this feature ever implemented elsewhere? It seems like too good a feature to just let die. And could it potentially be incorporated into ports such as PrBoom and ZDoom?

Just wondering.

Actually, I'm surprised that something like that isn't already present in ZDoom especially. That seems like it would be a really neat feature.

Demo walkcam has been present in Prboom+ for many years. In 2004, OnyxStar made a hack of regular prboom with this feature, and soon after Andrey added it in -plus, together with a chasecam. Combined with Prboom+'s ability to vary playback speed, this made it possible to see pretty much any piece of action you felt like in a demo.

I think Eternity has also had the walkcam feature for a long time. Maybe natively, inheriting it from SMMU?

Rayzik said:

Actually, I'm surprised that something like that isn't already present in ZDoom especially.

ZDoom has a sort of freefly mode, activated by the console. Then again, it's not particularly demo compatible....

Grazza said:

I think Eternity has also had the walkcam feature for a long time. Maybe natively, inheriting it from SMMU?

Yeah, and it was updated/upgraded with r2125 from August 12 this year, after Quasar improved Eternity's camera code.

Gez said:

Yeah, and it was updated/upgraded with r2125 from August 12 this year, after Quasar improved Eternity's camera code.

Primarily, it now has the ability to fly.

It's particularly fun in multiplayer. Grab GothicDM from /idgames and spectate around during those intro demos.