Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

PSX Doom/Final Doom TC (Legacy TC, See first post for details)

I would love to see "E4M5: They Will Repent" and "E4M7: And Hell Followed" PSXDoom-ized, mostly the latter. :)

The Lost Levels sounds amazing, PSXising all the IWAD levels. Ultimate challenge: No Rest for the Living PSX

I hope the Jaguar Doom copypastes get some restorations, some were cut TOO much.

I also sincerely hope Sewers and Betray from the Xbox Doom 3 port gets PSXised, they kind of count as official levels now and sorely need a facelift :p

Glad to see motivated people to convert maps to the PSX version :)

As others, I'd prefer to keep the original PSX maps order, and make new maps list with new episodes.
Or maybe it is possible to both, for instance different episodes on the same game: "Ultimate Doom, Ultimate Doom PC, DoomII, DoomII PC", ect...

A little suggestion about converting maps: each person should post 1 converted map as a mock-up, and for discussion with others, this maybe could help to keep a common line of conversion ?

Here's Hell Keep (PC): http://www.mediafire.com/?2azdm7taz5qzclz
Replaces MAP16 for now.

Dragonsbrethren said:

You guys give my Well of Souls conversion a try yet? Working on Bloodsea Keep right now.

I think it's fine, except for the starting area, it's way too dark IMO (maybe replace the sector colors with a brighter blue like Light#232, but only the sector with Tag 1).

I'll mess around converting Dis if it's not taken. It's short, easy, and I should have more than enough time to get a working version out soon-ish.

NoneeLlama said:

I think it's fine, except for the starting area, it's way too dark IMO (maybe replace the sector colors with a brighter blue like Light#232, but only the sector with Tag 1).

I was actually thinking the same thing myself, thanks for the suggestion.

I just gave your Hell Keep a run. I liked the retexturing. I think you should fix the moving door tracks, since the id guys seemed to take care of minor things like that for JagDoom.

I nearly finished Bloodsea Keep yesterday, not sure I'm happy with how the lighting looks in a couple areas, so I'll probably play around with that a bit today, trying to get it looking a little better, if I have the time.

BaronOfStuff, I put you down for Dis.

PSX TC bug report: MAP08 is called "Phobos Anamoly". The name is correctly spelled as "Phobos Anomaly" in the original versions, both PC and PSX.

Likewise for MAP09 Deimos Anomaly.

I've only just found the latest version and it's excellent!

Would it be doable to make this some kind of iwad so that it can be supported fully by ZDoom? It would be great to see other add ons being made for it (like the Lost Levels). A new flavour of Doom is a great thing in my mind.

Lunick said:

Is there a setting to fix the muzzle flash doing that on weapons?

Afraid not (or at least not in terms of getting the exact behaviour of the PSX version). It's an issue regarding visual authenticity, but only a trivial one.

BaronOfStuff said:

Afraid not (or at least not in terms of getting the exact behaviour of the PSX version). It's an issue regarding visual authenticity, but only a trivial one.

Dang, it just makes it feel weird :/

Since this project has matured, is there an "official" place we can host it? Then we could post a link to the webpage which would have all of the downloads. Just a thought.

The normal exit in The Mansion is a secret exit, too.

Also, there are two inaccessible (and empty) sectors that are marked as secret. They are the blood sectors at the south of the hell knight cage, behind the legitimate secret with a green armor. (The sector that surrounds the hell knight cage, and which doesn't have anything useful or inaccessible in it, is also marked as a secret, by the way.)

MAP45: Tenements: two imps are stuck behind the wall in the inaccessible cage on the left at the beginning.

This bug in MAP54, a Mastermind triggered a line and got stuck on the stairs, I could kill it with just a fist afterwards. Don't recall ever seeing this in the original PSX game.

Eris Falling said:

This bug in MAP54, a Mastermind triggered a line and got stuck on the stairs, I could kill it with just a fist afterwards. Don't recall ever seeing this in the original PSX game.

How the hell did you manage to stop the Barons from triggering those teleporters?

Gez said:

MAP45: Tenements: two imps are stuck behind the wall in the inaccessible cage on the left at the beginning.

It was like that in the original console version too. Chances are that the cage sector was drawn differently when ported to the PSX, and the imp's positions weren't changed from the original PC version.

BaronOfStuff said:

How the hell did you manage to stop the Barons from triggering those teleporters?

-blank stare- :o

In all honesty, I don't know. Some barons definitely teleported, I was just circle strafing with RL, Plasma and SSG like I always used to.

fenderc01 said:

Since this project has matured, is there an "official" place we can host it? Then we could post a link to the webpage which would have all of the downloads. Just a thought.

I could throw up a site for it. Give me a couple days.

Here is Version 2.1 or 2.0.1 what ever you all want to call it?
http://www.mediafire.com/?cg4s263ke2jlmp9

-Anamoly is now Anomaly.
-The Mansion has been straightened out.
-The 2 Imp's at the back of the left hand cage at the start of map45 are no longer stuck.
-Integrates Sodaholic's PSXGFX.WAD with the main PSXDOOM.PK3 as requested. The COLORMAP and PLAYPAL lumps are in there but am not sure how this affects the graphics it looks the same to me but it would be good to here from sodaholic but the dudes banned. Anyone got anything to say about this?

I haven't address the spider demon problem on map54 yet, iv never seen that happen before.

Most of the resources in the TC are in png format, so the palette would only have an effect if you tried loading it in ZDoom. It'll still apply to any Doom format graphics in GZDoom, though.

so they need to be kept in doom format. Will the COLORMAP and PLAYPAL lumps actually be loaded being placed in the root of the PSXDoom.pk3 ?

The palette should be. We don't really need to worry about the colormap since we're using GZDoom. It's fine to use png for resources as long as the original graphics were using the right palette when converted; I believe all of the graphics in the TC were, but you can take a look at the Doom format rips if you're concerned.

Am I the only one who thinks that there is a timing issue with the BFG? It seems to have a mysterious delay between the muzzle flash and lobbing the projectile compared to the actual PSX. I know I'm not imagining this/getting mixed up with the default PC timings, because:

http://youtu.be/3Df57sCef1U?t=1m30s

You can see that there's no delay at all here, not to mention the firing rate is faster too.

There may also be a difference with the Plasma Rifle firing rate too, although I'm entirely sure on that one.

Is it possible to have two HUDs (one for Ultimate Doom / Doom II and the darker one for Final Doom) loaded at one time?

BaronOfStuff said:

There may also be a difference with the Plasma Rifle firing rate too, although I'm entirely sure on that one.

Do you mean the firing rate of it PSX -> PSX TC or PC -> PSX TC? PSX Plasma was significantly slower than it's PC counterpart.