Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

Nostalgia Drive looks damn good, Xaser

Gez said:

"The Damned Lands of TNT: Escape from the Singularity Terminus: Revilution on the Horizon Complex: The Official Game of the Movie: Chapter 3 of the Hoopz Doomguy SaGa - Not for TREND. Not for CORPORATE ATTITUDE. Not for STONER. Only true DOOM MURDER-HEADS."

I humbly request that in any official TNT3 release, that that is referenced somewhere in it. Followed by an equally insane ad for the "sequel" I made up for Xaser :p

And on the vanilla bit, ive always enjoyed those more than port specific stuff. Ive even gone back to software renderers these days to better appreciate them.

Xaser said:

Damn you all and your barbed wire "vines." I'll submit a proper texture for it at some point since you're all so stubborn. :P

Dude, this is great news, and I will happily add your barbed wire texture. I wasn't being stubborn, (well, not unusually stubborn anyway,) but I still feel that the redone 'barbvine' texture, while perhaps not being the best possible barbed wire texture in and of itself, is still one of the most iconic tnt textures. And that is the reason that it remains. The other reason I can justify leaving it in is because there are two other barbed wire textures that are in there also, so mappers have plenty of choice in this regard. There is the one that t.v. did for PL2 (or was it PRCP? I get those two wads mixed up in my head all the time.) And there is the new barbed wire texture that I made, based around t.v's barbed wire texture and your rough edit on the original tnt DOBWIRE texture.

But that said, I am totally open to a new barbed wire texture

Ragnor said:

TNT4: Evineution - A Barb in Xaser's Side

I see what you did there.

Xaser said:

In totally-not-vinebarb-related other news:

[image]

Picked up work on Nostalgia Drive. Sometimes I feel that taming vanilla limits is a bit like bull riding. Sure, it keeps bucking me off, but I'll be damned if I'm not gonna last 8 seconds without getting a seg overflow. O:

NOOOOOOSSTAAALLGIA DRRRIIIIIIIVE! *ahem*

Fantastic stuff. That screenie is sure driving my nostalgia. (Worst. Pun. Ever.)

Gez said:

"The Damned Lands of TNT: Escape from the Singularity Terminus: Revilution on the Horizon Complex: The Official Game of the Movie: Chapter 3 of the Hoopz Doomguy SaGa - Not for TREND. Not for CORPORATE ATTITUDE. Not for STONER. Only true DOOM MURDER-HEADS."

Sublime, and I really like how it just rolls off the tongue.

The acronym is pretty snappy too: TDLoTNT:EftST:RotHC:TOGotM:C3otHDS.

Pottus said:

Vanilla encourages good construction opposed to sector soup =)

Never forget, my man, that is it just as possible to make a godawful piece of projectile mapping vomit using few sectors as using many. And there will be many more of these, because they are less time consuming to create than uber-detailed maps.

Yes, 1994, I'm talking to you...

Ragnor said:

I humbly request that in any official TNT3 release, that that is referenced somewhere in it. Followed by an equally insane ad for the "sequel" I made up for Xaser :p

Request noted. :)

Did you send it to "Kyka" or "KiiiYiiiKiiiA"?
Only the latter can get messages.

You know, I think the green on the barbwire texture was either supposed to be transparent or it had a color Doom's palette was incompatible with and the team making TNT din't bother to fix it, so it's easy to mistake it for something else. It can't be vines as it was clearly grey and had white/grey poles, there's also brown which is probably rust on the parts of the poles where the barb wire attaches.

Pottus said:
Map 22 sent to testers.

Map Name: (Don't have a name suggestions? )

Game play time: 30 minutes approx

Additional Credit: waverider - North East corner RedRock1 area

Thanks for giving me credit for my unfinished redrock1 area, even though you really didn't have to. :)

Screens looking good, btw. Will be fun to see later how my area now looks like :)

Might seem strange at first, but since this is 'hell' part and by hellish impurity, physical degradation, suffering can be considered why not Corporeal Warfare for 22.

Well it's an idea, I'd like to hear some more since I'm pretty crappy at naming maps :D

How about Map Of Pain since that is what I was in pretty much the whole time making it lol!

Pottus said:

How about Map Of Pain since that is what I was in pretty much the whole time making it lol!

Pain Generator?

Pottus said:

Mount Pain
Pain Chasm
Fortress of Pain

Or, completely unconnected:
Evisceration

Pottus said:

I'm kinda digging the Pain Chasm actually.

Really? I only put it as a joke, the opposite of Mount Pain.

Pottus said:

I'm kinda digging the Pain Chasm actually.

>digging
>chasm

I see what you did there. But I'd rather you than me, that's one metric fuckton of digging.

Conversely if you are going for a pit/opposite of "mountain" feel, theres lots of names to use instead of chasm. Like say, caldera, the crater left when a volcano blows itself up completely. Or abyss, often used in conjuction with Hell.

Anyway, Ive started on that demo properly. Map01 is extremely good, truly felt like a TNT map. The health seems a bit scarce on UV though. The Soulsphere secret I cant figure out, aside from pressing use on top of the wall to trigger the buried switch.

The exit room is an awesome reference, well done on that. I IDMUSed Last Call's theme for the whole map, naturally.

Gez said:

Mount Pain --> Torture Peak --> Golgotha

I always loved the name "Dismal Oubliette" which was the name of one of the levels from quake1.

Also, the word 'grief' has its uses.

Mount Grief, for example.

Ragnor said:

Anyway, Ive started on that demo properly. Map01 is extremely good, truly felt like a TNT map. The health seems a bit scarce on UV though. The Soulsphere secret I cant figure out, aside from pressing use on top of the wall to trigger the buried switch.

The exit room is an awesome reference, well done on that. I IDMUSed Last Call's theme for the whole map, naturally.

Soz Ragnor, could I get you to clarify something for me? There is no soulsphere on map 01, so I just wanted to see which map you are referring to when you say health seems a bit scarce. And I am curious to know which secret you are referring to that you couldn't figure out. All good, I am happy to make changes, just wanna be sure we are talking about the same thing.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Whoops, I meant invisibility sphere.

Working on map 2. Starts off so-so (yellow key THAT fast?) but then it shows off real good lighting use. It even has bits that remind me of Habitat! Ammo seems REALLY scarce, but then again I doubt your supposed to be continuing from map 1 (about that, I also PMed you some additional details)

The blue key room killed me because HOLY CRAP AMBUSH *millions of zombies and demons with practically no ammo left*. Im playing on UV with a Xbox 360 controller on ZDoom btw, if this is relevant to anything.

[QUOTE]Ragnor said:

Anyway, Ive started on that demo properly. Map01 is extremely good, truly felt like a TNT map. The health seems a bit scarce on UV though. The invisibility [/edit] secret I cant figure out, aside from pressing use on top of the wall to trigger the buried switch.
[QUOTE/]

...Pretty much how it was intended, now that I understand what you mean.

Working on map 2. Starts off so-so (yellow key THAT fast?) but then it shows off real good lighting use. It even has bits that remind me of Habitat! Ammo seems REALLY scarce, but then again I doubt your supposed to be continuing from map 1 (about that, I also PMed you some additional details)

The way that map came about. Melon had three maps that were half done, and I combined them into a single larger map. The first map ended where you go into that first dark tunnel, hence why the yellow key is relatively close to the start. I will probably leave the yellow key there, I mean I would just replace it with a switch anyway.

The blue key room killed me because HOLY CRAP AMBUSH *millions of zombies and demons with practically no ammo left*. Im playing on UV with a Xbox 360 controller on ZDoom btw, if this is relevant to anything.

I am guessing you mean the red key room. Yeah, I totally hear you on this one. Would you believe, it has been reworked several times. Still not there I guess. Even just since I sent you the demo, I have changed it again, so there is more health. I think I will remove some of the monsters, even on UV.

Thanks for the feedback, I am off to check this PM.

Whoops I totally did miss your post. Got it now though. :)

The invisibility secret, I kept lowering the portal first, after seeing a tint bit of switch earlier and wondering if I hallucinated. Maybe the switch could be raised a very tiny bit more? Its devious, I'll give the designer that.

Yeah, it was the red key >_> Im mixing things up by posting mid-level while Doomed up, sorry :p

I had to load an earlier save and chainsaw everything in the imp/demon/lost soul room before the waste pools open up just to have enough ammo for that ambush. Theres just TOO many monsters, I got pinned down and died far too quickly. About that room, could you consider raising a step to get out the way you came in after its all done with? Maybe the same switch that lowers the rifle. Its annoying to have to loop around to the plasma rifle tower everytime.

How on earth do you get that automap? (nevermind, as I typed this my brother came in and pointed it out. I feel stupid) The soulsphere secret was random, no idea what opened that room up. Also, I found a minor bug. The courtyard by the start, one of the walls doesnt show up on the automap.

The highlight of this map is definitely the dark corridors, where your first priority is finding that zombie that woke up in the distance. I'd give it a B+

Now onto map 3, ie the barbed wire map.

Sorry if im getting in the way with my posts, Pottus

Oh, just my long feedback posts drowning your request. It was resolved while I was typing that anyway, so its all good.

Okay, I just completed the third demo level. That was insanely long and very confusing. An Archvile is placed in a cage in one area where he cannot fight back at all, that might need an edit. In the area where the barbed wire fence has a hole leading to armour and medikits, near the hole is a piece of unbroken fence you can walk through, thats definitely a bug. The secrets are very well hidden, I only obtained three of the seven, also missed a monster and an item. One of the secrets must be the backpack on a ledge with Revenants and Chaingunners near the cage the near-helpless Archvile is in. The others I have no clue about. The dark corridors that lower into a dark pit filled with monsters (including an Archvile) was the highlight of the map, it has a great lead-up to it that plays on your sense of dread. The new textures were nice too. I think I'll leave the secret finding for the full release and move on to the last map. 400 monsters, attacked from all sides right by the start? Hoo boy, this ones going to be difficult.