Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Devalaous

Where have I heard that MIDI!?

Does anyone find it amusing when they recognise a seemingly random midi track in a wad? Yesterday I had to stop all gameplay because a background tune suddenly felt too familiar...turned out to be a midi-ised Magmoor Caverns from Metroid Prime (I love that theme). In the same wad I also heard something from Castlevania, Bloody Tears iirc. Another wad (A high profile one!) used the final boss music from Final Fantasy VI, and it completely killed the feel of the level.

I prefer midis to be nothing ive heard before from another non-Doom engine game, what about you?

Sometimes it kinda kills the mood or feel of a level, but personally I love recognizing music. That's why I MIDI-sequenced "Under the Waves" specifically for Jenesis. :P

Its even weirder in reverse. I absolutely loved a track from Agent Spork's Simplicity, and would often load the wad JUST to IDMUS it.

Then I bought Duke Nukem 3D on XBLA and found out it was a track from Episode 2...I was rather floored.

The reverse of this phenomenon led to me liking a few IRL songs I had heard in midi format first. However, there's nothing like playing an 90s deathmatch wad and hearing a bunch of Metallica, NIN, and eurodance midis. Especially NIN.

Bashe said:

The reverse of this phenomenon led to me liking a few IRL songs I had heard in midi format first.

This is exactly why I like Metallica IRL. Sounds to me like 90's Doom, only remastered. :P

Xaser said:

This is exactly why I like Metallica IRL. Sounds to me like 90's Doom, only remastered. :P

Same for me with a fair bit of thrash metal. Mostly pantera.

Would it be wrong to say that I thoroughly enjoy Megadeath's Hangar 18 JUST because it sounds so much like Doom?

When composing for MIDI, if I have to pad a song by a minute or so, I often throw in some familiar melodies or chord sequences. For the sake of due effort, I hide it in the mix or come up with a new arrangement.

After all, writing a solo note-for-note in piano roll isn't as easy as it sounds.

I was very amused to hear a Michael Jackson song as a MIDI in Kama Sutra (amongst other equally unlikely songs). I tend to prefer to hear the BGM as a bit of enjoyable music (like the metal tracks in Doom and Doom 2) than as an atmospheric piece. This is almost entirely due to how I play the game, where faster, louder, more upbeat music fits my Rambo approach to shooting things.