Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonsbrethren

PSX Doom: The Lost Levels - New Pre-Beta Available courtesy of Salahmander2

I'm definitely liking how Grosse looks. Though if they don't get a full Wolf3D makeover, then I suppose you could call them by there censored names (IDKFA, KEEN).

I suggest keeping references to Wolfenstein in the level names. As both were from Episode 1 of Wolfenstein 3D...how about "The Castle" for Wolfenstein and "Escape" for Grosse? (I beleive E1 was Escape from Castle Wolfenstein)

The Castle would also go well with the other secret levels like The Marshes and The Mansion

EDIT: I also really like Grosse that way. Seems a bit small though.

Dragonsbrethren said:

I'd love to test this stuff on the actual engine if anyone ever writes a converter.

BaronOfStuff, you're starting to sell me on these Wolfy edits.

I try! I figured that if certain E2 maps were still made possible on Jag/PSX despite such a lack of matching textures (Spawning Vats is one outstanding example of a map that barely resembles its base), then why not take the same approach to the Wolfenstein maps? Sure they lose the 'gimmick' status without all the Easter Egg Novelty Nazi bollocks, but I've never heard of anyone complaining that they've got more stuff to shoot.

Avoozl, I've never used udmfconvert. Are you sure you don't have to use it on a wad containing a single map?

Nope, you can go so far as converting entire IWADs in one hit if you want. One thing I do really recommend is converting any Doom-format maps into DoomHexen-format first though using ZWADCONV:
http://zdoom.org/wiki/ZWADCONV

Why so? Well I converted the two Wolfenstein maps straight from Doom-format to UDMF using the WAD2UDMF* utility, and the linetypes/triggers were directly transferred as numbers, meaning nothing functioned as it should have. Type 1 (a basic door) in Doom-format was directly transferred to Type 1 in UDMF (polyobject stuff). Thankfully these maps are the opposite of complex and only use very simple actions, but converting anything else and then having to manually set up all the triggers again could quickly turn into a severe headache and a trip to the Recycle Bin.

*On re-reading that you're using UDMFconvert, I have absolutely no idea if it will behave the same way though!

BlueFireZ88 said:

I'm definitely liking how Grosse looks. Though if they don't get a full Wolf3D makeover, then I suppose you could call them by there censored names (IDKFA, KEEN).

That's actually something to consider. Holy shit, needlessly-censored content may have a use yet!

EDIT:

Ragnor said:

I suggest keeping references to Wolfenstein in the level names. As both were from Episode 1 of Wolfenstein 3D...how about "The Castle" for Wolfenstein and "Escape" for Grosse?

Even better. We should definitely do this.

Grosse/Keen/The Escape (let's decide on a name soon) demo coming up shortly. I'm quite happy with how it's turned out so far to be honest.

No more screenshots though, that would ruin the surprise!

EDIT:
Well that was quick.

Uses MAP122 slot, named to "The Grosse Escape". Dohoholololol.
http://www.speedyshare.com/ArW8W/psxgrosse.wad

Have fun, report any issues, all that good shit. "Now, go get 'em!"

Avoozl said:

I just remembered PSXDoom didn't have the E4 maps with the firesky theme, they were just done the same as the original E4 maps with the orange sky, should I stick to this or can I make it with a firesky theme?

I'd stick to the orange sky, personally. Same as the Doom 2 hell maps stuck to the Doom 2 hell sky (as much as I hate that sky, I'm using it in Bloodsea Keep).

BaronOfStuff said:

Have fun, report any issues, all that good shit. "Now, go get 'em!"

I'm not really liking the COMP textures surrounding the upper part of the center courtyard. It feels really out of place.

Since I have a short period of time on a computer which actually is capable of GZDoom (once you turn down most of the stuff), I managed to get a shot at Dis and The Grosse Escape.
Both are just...plain awesome. I didn't know there were levels beyond the PSX version until a couple of years ago, so I haven't waited that long, but some people must have waited 16 years for this project. By the looks of things so far, they won't be disappointed.

As for the E3M1 remake, whenever I loaded the WAD and went to MAP16, I got Hell Gate, just as normal. Am I doing something wrong?

Dragonsbrethren said:

I'm not really liking the COMP textures surrounding the upper part of the center courtyard. It feels really out of place.

Replaced with METAL03 for now until I do some more work on it. I can't even remember why I used COMPTALL to begin with, I think it was a placeholder with a vaguely tech-theme to explain the lights.

But then this is Doom, so explanations for flats and textures be damned.

Eris: This is because any map in the Lost Level set has level numbers beyond the normal range from the original PS1 Dooms (probably about 90 onward). Use SLADE 3 to confirm.

I'm all for the map names "The Castle" and "Escape!". Those work fine.

BaronofStuff, you clearly need to work on a bigger map. Youve really got the PSX look down, im curious how you'll do with a larger area.

Ragnor said:

BaronofStuff, you clearly need to work on a bigger map. Youve really got the PSX look down, im curious how you'll do with a larger area.

I wouldn't mind messing around with Fear in that case. I've always liked that map for some reason.

...and I guess I could make something out of Cyberden & Go 2 It while I'm in the right frame of mind. I mean someone has to eventually, so how hard can that be?

(Am I being greedy by going for these maps?)

fenderc01 said:

I will work on Fear next.

Fair enough!

Does anyone have feedback for They Will Repent?

Yes. Played it just now, and I like it. Very much so. Feels pretty authentic with the lighting, and has nice use of Nightmare Spectres and that sodding Chaingunner trying to ruin my shit. One minor issue throughout was some sector heights, but as far as gameplay goes I can't complain.

That grosse just blows my mind, i mean it was far more entertaining than the original and the atmosphere is top notch. I can't wait to see what other maps will look like, gonna check the bloodsea right now.

How will Go 2 It work with the PSX Doom monster limitations? Or will this one be a special exception? Every demon/spectre in it should be a nightmare spectre imho.

Ragnor said:

How will Go 2 It work with the PSX Doom monster limitations? Or will this one be a special exception? Every demon/spectre in it should be a nightmare spectre imho.

I've got a few ideas for a smaller variety without ruining the action, but the overall monster count in particular is going to take a severe hit. There are going to be a lot of reductions for just about every skirmish.

I have to say that Grosse turned out really well.

Though I'm still working on it here's what I have done so far: *link removed*
If you have any suggestions I'll be happy to hear them.

Avoozl said:

Though I'm still working on it here's what I have done so far: http://www.mediafire.com/?877g7g2061blxio

If you have any suggestions I'll be happy to hear them.

Pretty good stuff. A few missing textures, but gameplay's fine. A few things I would suggest though are a Nightmare Spectre or two along the way, swapping a couple of Barons for Hellknights, and replacing the Shotgun Guys on the exit column with a Chaingunner. Other than that, I like it!

EDIT:
Converting Wolfenstein is proving to be a real sod (no, not SOD, shut up). I may have to take several liberties to make something good out of it and start with some height variations to liven the place up a bit.

Gez said:

Yes, enemy animations are slower and some enemies are weaker (lost souls dispatched in a single shotgun shot, for example). This was probably done originally so as to make it easier to play with a controller.

Though this is a wonderful achievement for the community to make such an accurate port of the old PSX game, yeah, I'm totally seeing that now and decided to give up on the game. The Revenants actually move in slow motion thus killing any tension & suspense when I see one or hear that scream. In the PC versions, because of their high speed animations they can be truly something to fear, especially in close quarter surprises. Thanks for all the hard work, guys, and while I did make it up to Level 20, I've decided to go back to the vastly faster & more challenging PC versions.

It's just occurred to me that co-op in PSX Doom featured no extra monsters or items/weapons! As such, it's probably a good idea to create filters in DB2 that will:
1) Display monsters that do not have the 'Single Player' flag enabled -- then you can see all of them, and delete them all off the map within a few seconds.
2) Display items/weapons that do not have the 'Single Player' flag enabled -- you can then see all of these and remove the 'Cooperative' flag from them, again within only a few seconds.

I added depth to the beginning of Forsaken Keep:

So here's the third version of the map: http://www.mediafire.com/?9omoakl5qr6slus
Unless I have to edit again when I'm doing Warrens, then it's safe to say that this is the final version of the map. Next one will be Warrens (after I done a map for Memfis for another project), then Slough of Despair.

BaronOfStuff said:

It's just occurred to me that co-op in PSX Doom featured no extra monsters or items/weapons!

I never took notice to this. It's funny, because I just replaced some multiplayer only monsters on Power Control, but I never even thought to look into what was done with the official levels.

I'm gonna guess Doom II's SKY1 is being used for Power Control? Since all other TNT E1 maps used that.

NoneeLlama said:

So here's the third version of (Forsaken Keep)

Looking good! My only nagging doubt is the ceiling (sky) height in the starting area, for some reason it just looks awkward in a 'PSX' level.