Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Acid

Nintendo introduces the WiiMini

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the implication that goes along with all the pictures you posted was that before the iPhone, smartphone designers were all intently focused on imitating the Blackberry. Nokia's series of Internet Tablets, beginning with the n770 and ending (mostly anyway) with the n900 show that's obviously not true. Apple didn't invent the "big touchscreen display on the front" model. Like pretty much everything else, they stole it. I'm not against it, but I think it sucks when fanboys trot iPhone design out as proof "the iPhone changed everything, everything after it just imitates" when it was just one of a number of touchscreen phones released that year.

Ultrabooks/thin notebooks aren't new at all. Google the Sharp MM10.

High DPI displays aren't new at all, I think IBM even made some super high DPI CRTs.

Etc Etc

Csonicgo said:

AMOLED was being developed long before Retina ever showed up. That's being dishonest. If anything, everyone is using INTEL and SHARP Tech.

Things being developed doesn't put them into your hot little hands. A 3840×2400 monitor existed in 2001. So?

Apple's high margin on hardware, and people willing to pay the "Apple tax" on first generation products – Multi touch, Thunderbolt, MB Air, Retina MBPs – means that they are essentially subsidizing innovative new technologies for both themselves (how they make stacks of cash >=2nd gen) and everyone else.

Csonicgo said:

And tell me when Apple is accepted in Space. That's still IBM and Lenovo's territory.

Wait 10 years?

DoomUK said:

Heh, some of it's games looked quite interesting.

Didn't expect anything different, really. Just like the Jaguar, 3DO, 32X and the CD32(X) (and, pardon me Amiga fans, even the CD32), the developers for these platforms all seemed to be caught between the worst of the 16-bit and 32-bit worlds, for some reason.

Most games were either rehashes of 16-bit titles with a few enhancers, or fell into the "multimedia hype" trap of the era, and degenerated into depressing, unplayable FMV shitfests. Ironically, the 16-bit rehashes were among the most playable.

Ah right....there were 3D games too. These too seemed to range from simple shaded polygon engines, to early texture mapping, which for some reasons seldom reached PC-like performance, in any aspect: screen resolution and size, frame rate, texture and model variety etc.

I think the problem was that most such systems combined a vast medium (CD-ROM) and inflated expectations (32-bit or even 64-bit, so it MUST be BETTER and ENHANCED, right?), a disproportionate attention to FMV (Multimedia Video was all the rage, right?) but had sub-par hardware when it came to RAM, 3D acceleration etc. (or even none at all, e.g. 32X and Pippin just went by brute CPU force, which made them just as "good" as a dual-cpu 486 or a first-gen Pentium, at best).

The Sony Playstation seems to be the only console from that era which somehow got the balance right.

What is the point of restricting this to Canada? You know people are gonna import that shit into the states and Europe..

Mr. Chris said:

What is the point of restricting this to Canada? You know people are gonna import that shit into the states and Europe..

I think Nintendo's trying to create an artificial demand for something that has already sold in the 30 millions(?). I guess there is still some demand for the Wii. I was surprised that 300,000 Wiis were sold over the Black Friday madness.

I suddenly want to set up my Wii just to see if people are still playing Super Smash Bros Brawl online although last time I check population has been getting low during the past year but theres still people here and there more often during the weekends. Also need to go play some old NES and SNES games too.

HWGuy said:

I think Nintendo's trying to create an artificial demand for something that has already sold in the 30 millions(?).

Try tripling that.

You can also see a rather interesting boost in units sold during the last quarter of each year even up to 2011. Of course there's no numbers for this year yet, but those Christmas sales have been really good even for Wii.

Anybody confirmed if it's crack-proofed yet? I'd be really surprised if they changed to a new hardware configuration and did not fix the boot loader firmware strcmp glitch.