Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Well i knew pilbugs had legs but i based my "slugs" on them visually because i find pillbugs really sinister for some reason. The legs probably wouldn't work on a sprite of such small resolution..

Added legs to my wallbugs, but now that their shells don't move the whole thing looks strange. What do you guys think, which version should i keep? I'm leaning towards the legs version, partly because the original had the dumbest looking soft orange underbelly and now it has proper creepy leg things, and also the stretching felt too cartoony and flash-animationy for doom.

Unfortunately they are completely harmless. The worst thing they can do is creep people out or get in the way (they are fully solid).
I admit i sort of wanted to have some of them surprise the player by jumping off the wall and attacking, but this shape doesn't really work for sprites when it's horizontal, and besides i have no idea how it would even attack.

Edit: actually i could probably make it work, but i really have no idea how they could attack.

Have them explode in a small acidic blob when touched. That'll keep the player on his toes. A little bit of damage from the initial explosion and a small spray of acid projectiles that use the poison damage effect from HeXen's flechettes would be pretty nice. Also make them die the same way and you've got a decent alternative to barrels in organic areas.

That's actually the exact thing i was thinking of having them doing, that or have the wall-crawling ones burst and drop some eggs on the floor or something. Although i really like them as the purely aesthetic thing they are now, and the whole thing sounds like too much effort.

That, and personally for me they seem a bit creepier when they don't do anything as opposed to being clearly agressive like everything else.

I'll save my effort for other new stuff i think. I've got more crap to keep the player nervous both done and planned.

Both are cool. First ones might seem a bit silly if you stop and look at it closely for a second. Second ones might look like a contraption rather than an organic being if you're not giving them your full attention. It'd make sense to me to pick one based on what your wad is going to be most focused on, exploration or fighting.

Their vertical movement is a bit more random than the looped gifs would lead you to believe, i'm hoping the fact that they can stay still a bit longer sometimes or suddenly go faster or stop mid-climb will make them look a bit more organic. I like the 2nd variant's legs so much more than the mushy bright pillow that the 1st guys have that i think i'll settle with the legs. Maybe at some point down the line i'll figure out a way to animate them better without too much work.

Eh, that doom comic version with ponies are kind of fun...

And sure that pony loves apples!

Without jokes good shots here guys!

Their vertical movement is a bit more random than the looped gifs would lead you to believe

The movement seems fine to me even in those gifs. What I meant to say is that the moving part, the legs, are tiny compared to the immobile part, the shell. If I'm looking straight at the one on the foreground, most of what I can see from the second one is the shell with a few pixels on the left, which could be anything, and as a result it feels like something mechanical; and those are pretty close distances, I can only imagine in a real game situation where I'd be busy dodging imp fireballs and looking at the imps rather than the scenery all the way across the room, if I noticed them at all I'd see nothing but the shells.

This is not a criticism by the way, just a clarification on my earlier POV. Higher contrast makes sense for action-oriented levels, but higher detail can be more sensible in atmospheric wads.

Phml said:

What I meant to say is that the moving part, the legs, are tiny compared to the immobile part, the shell.

I got that. What i meant to say that maybe their somewhat erratic vertical movement could offset the feeling of mechanicalness that the unmoving shells instill. So if the player notices them from a distance he still can assume it's something (mildly) alive and not a robot/mechanism/whatever. However i realise that because of my poor animation skills even if people get that it's a bug immidiately, it still could've been animated a lot better. Well, as long as i don't lose the model file, i can always come back to them later and enhance the animation a bit when i have an idea how and also the will to do it. :D

Obsidian said:

Dem bugs creep me out, I won't deny it.

Hooray! Happy to hear that :)

Jimi said:

I think you should have some movement in the carapace even if you have the little legs.

I aim to do pretty much this before the project is released (in other words, i have a lot of time to get better at this whole thing and improve the animation).

Thank y'all for your feedback on my creepy crawlies, guys. :D

Yeah, those bugs are cool/creepy. Remind me a tiny bit of Snarks. I miss those little guys :D

Nice photobomb by the marine on the left. That guy is not pulling his weight.

What map is this from?

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Nice photobomb by the marine on the left. That guy is not pulling his weight.

What map is this from?

It's a dummy map. I made it just to get a few screenshots. And thanks to that Marine, the cybs won. D:

TNT2 map 17.

The slightly bumpmapped brown texture on the walls, Do people think it looks good or it sucks?

I think it looks pretty neat actually. It looks like a molded cement material or something, but sometimes what I think looks good and what actually looks good may or may not be the same thing.

Thoughts?

Looks a little bit like cast iron plates, only a little rusted.

I think it fits in alright.

KYKA: "Doom" and "bump mapping" are two things I never thought would work well together in a sentence, let alone a screenshot, but that one looks alright. It actually fits the aesthetic, and isn't too jarring.

I'd say you're on the right path.