Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

SLADE3 installer doesn't work [unless explicitly "run as administrator"]

I'm trying to use the non-portable EXE installer for SLADE3, downloaded from its homepage, but I get this error.

Does it lack the privilege to write within Program Files (x86)?

If I click Ignore, it will show the same error for each file, until the installation "completes". But actually, no SLADE3 folder appears within Program Files (x86).

I already have a SVN build of SLADE3 unzipped to C:\SLADE3, but I want to be a better behaved citizen this time.

Why not just install it to a different directory? I put mine (even though it doesn't work) into C:\Users\(my name)\DOOM

Make sure that your current version of SLADE3 is not open. Right click the installer file and check if it is being "blocked". Try "Run as administrator". If that fails then try to install outside of /Program Files/. Also, make sure you're on an admin account.

Out of interest, what's wrong with using the portable version? :)

Nothing. But the installer might do some nice stuff like associating WADs with SLADE3 (not sure if it was really happening in this case), as well as put the program in the correct Program Files folder along with the other Windows programs. I know I can do it manually, but why so when it can be done by installing.

Gez said:

There is an installer? Things I learned in this topic...

Sure. See here: second row

EDIT: Looks like indeed I had to run it as administrator, which is odd, because I am one. It didn't associate WAD files with it, but I still got a nice button in the Start screen. So yeah, here's a benefit of using an installer.

printz said:

Nothing. But the installer might do some nice stuff like associating WADs with SLADE3 (not sure if it was really happening in this case), as well as put the program in the correct Program Files folder along with the other Windows programs. I know I can do it manually, but why so when it can be done by installing.

Simply because you had difficulty installing. Glad to have helped resolve that though.

printz said:

EDIT: Looks like indeed I had to run it as administrator, which is odd, because I am one. It didn't associate WAD files with it, but I still got a nice button in the Start screen. So yeah, here's a benefit of using an installer.

That sounds like User Account Control (id set up UAC bases on Windows vista and after). It can be disabled from Control Panel so you never get hassle from it or from programs requiring admin rights, but that's not recommended of course. If that's not what it is then somebody chime in and correct me.

As for association with wad files: "open with"...

Evolution said:

That sounds like User Account Control (id set up UAC bases on Windows vista and after).

No, it wasn't because UAC was on. My UAC is currently off.

Well, the doom builder 2 installer worked. I wouldn't rush to think that my system is compromised. I guess I'd better reactivate that UAC thingie.

Might be that what I used to build that old installer doesn't properly support windows 8 or uac, or something like that. I'll probably use something different for the next version.

Probably just needs an appropriate manifest embedded. Nullsoft Install System takes care of that shit for you, so long as it is properly instructed.

Agentbromsnor said:

Everytime I use SLADE I just get reminded at how much I miss XWE...

... pooping all over your wads?
... messing things up?
... being a pain in the ass to work with?