Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Do do lots of people hate D_RUNNIN?

I don't hate the song "Running from Evil" (D_RUNNIN) and I think it's an addicting song. The reason people hear the song so much is probably because most custom WADs have their map start on MAP01 and the song is not replaced with something else. But I still think it's a great song and one of the best songs in the Doom soundtrack.

I do do not dislike D_RUNNIN, but music would usually be the last thing on my mind to be finalized (if I ever finished a map), and as such I'm testing the map to D_RUNNIN all the time. Too much of a good thing can wear out its welcome.

Enjay said:

It's not over used. Replacements are under used. :P

I don't hate D_RUNNIN but I guess after the thousands of times that I have heard it, I do like to hear an alternative in a WAD.

exactly this. one would think that replacing d_runnin with whatever halfway fitting midi is quick and easy, but it's still the standard, boring map01 song.

Shadow Hog said:

I do do not dislike D_RUNNIN, but music would usually be the last thing on my mind to be finalized (if I ever finished a map), and as such I'm testing the map to D_RUNNIN all the time. Too much of a good thing can wear out its welcome.

If I was testing my maps I'd have the music turned off for sure! Hearing any of the songs over and over would drive you bonkers. :P

IMO, "Running from Evil" is great but overused. It's better than "At Doom's Gate". I prefer something like Speed of Doom map01 music style or some classical-like as the first level music.

Yes, I'm tired of RUNNIN. I almost always IDMUS07. It's such a doom-laden track and is, after all, a riff on a SLAYER track.

Yes, that Slayer:

Tommy Vance:
"Well I'm not saying Slayer are in league with the Devil, but I suspect that if he wanted to pop round for a cup of tea and a scone, it is to their house he would go."

Hmm I think I just had a "revelation": is it just me, or is it true that placing a map on a different slot or episode (e.g. E1M5, E2M1 etc.) due to the music alone was much more common in Doom and Ultimate Doom, rather than Doom II?

There seem to be far more Doom PWADs that DON'T start on E1M1 (starting on different episodes was obvious), than Doom II maps that DO start on MAP01. Now, maybe most map authors felt D_RUNNIN was OK or, most likely, that the rest of the tracks in Doom II were just not up to par to be worth a map relocation.

Maybe the episode selection forced players to read the damn text file so they'd know whether the map was in E1M1, E2M1, E3M1 or E4M1. And then they'd find out it's actually in E2M6. But with Doom II, there's only one "New game" possible.

Also maybe they've discovered they could include music tracks with the appropriate name?

Gez said:

Also maybe they've discovered they could include music tracks with the appropriate name?

When talking about id tracks however, there always was/is this grey area: was it illegal or not to re-include id resources with your map (including music)?

That notwistanding, some might simply consider it pleonastic to include what was already there: just ask the lazy bum of used to idclev there ;-)

cannonball said:

It does get overused as many wad authors don't put in new (different midis).
I prefer it to "At Dooms gate" IMO

That is blasphemy!

I don`t Know, I plays Doom 2 long time ago the Ost never boring me. and this one of my favourites songs It is legendary, it feels like a beginig of a long journey...For me... for exemple d2inter is really repetitive too but I really love it... my fabourites are d_countd, d_dead2, d_in_cit. ALL THE OST OF DOOM 2 IS GREAT...

I like it quite a bit, but that could be because I rarely hear it. If I'm working on a level, I usually turn off the music until I'm ready to add my own, or will have already replaced the music.

I think it's much better than d_e1m1. It has many different phases while d_e1m1 is basically just one short theme repeated in multiple ways.

Just like most of the people (as I read), I bore it, because I hear it almost all the time when I start a WAD.

But overall, it's a good song. Just think about the origin:

D_RUNNIN is a very nice, classic midi. Suitable for a map named "Entryway" imo. The thing that gets people, I think, is when somebody makes a one-map PWAD (usually for MAP01) and doesn't put other music in. Still, I don't ever get tired of hearing it.

Scypek2 said:

I think it's much better than d_e1m1. It has many different phases while d_e1m1 is basically just one short theme repeated in multiple ways.

I think that one is epic, too, but hey, everybody has different opinions. ;)