Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doomworld: An odd error message

Every now and then, when trawling through Doomworld, I get this message popping up.

Yet it does absolutely sod all when you get rid of it. So what is it supposed to be?

EDIT: Well I'm guessing it's some sort of Javascript, but that's all I can work out.

Looks like some sort of advertising site/tracking cookie (a.rfihub.com). Try clearing you web cache and cookies and see if that helps.

Thanks, I've done that. Although I guess there's not much way of knowing if it worked because it happens so rarely. Weird..

Not that it helps at all, but I've been seeing this message from time to time too.

I assumed it had something to do with the low profile advertisement at the bottom of the forum's pages and me ignoring the last Java runtime update, making something not work properly. Hopefully it's nothing more malevolent.

Best I can tell (from a bit of quick research) is that it's tracking and attempting to report your web browsing activities.

Yes, Doomworld is nice with NoScript. So is the rest of the web. Sometimes you have to spend a couple minutes figuring out which domains to whitelist to get something to work, but everything else loads faster.

DoomUK said:

...me ignoring the last Java runtime update, making something not work properly...

That would have nothing at all to do with a JavaScript error message.

Java is a strongly typed object-oriented language similar to C++ which is compiled into bytecode ".class" files and then interpreted when loaded by a heavy-weight virtual machine distributed by Oracle as a stand-alone application.

JavaScript is a weakly typed, purely interpreted hybrid of object-orientation and functional programming (Scheme + Self, with C syntax), which is loaded into the browser either from independent text files or inline with HTML/XML, and is compiled for execution just-in-time. Support for the language is implemented inside the browser itself.

Other than the name, which was chosen by Netscape Corporation purely for marketing value, they have almost nothing in common.

I haven't been getting this message. Running updated chrome; neat to hear though about this though. Community kinda relays related information to eachother, which is good.

Quasar said:

Other than the name, which was chosen by Netscape Corporation purely for marketing value, they have almost nothing in common.

You learn something every day.

I haven't seen that message in a while. I have an "If it ain't broke..." attitude towards my computer. I know how take precautions and fix stuff (or in cases where I don't, I know how to find out), but I'm just too lazy half of the time. I don't advise anyone to follow my lead.

Doomworld runs as 'untrusted' in NoScript for me, meaning that all active content either on the site itself or anything it references is blocked.

The site's own content is fine but I found that's there's too much shit being injected by the site hosts.

As a nice side effect, Post Hell won't make any noise. ;)