Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

The Psy Gangnam Style Phenonemon

Damn, Psy Gangnam Style is catchy as all hell. I replayed it a good 10 times without realizing.

@buttspit: You are in the same situation like me: I don't think it is ridiculous anymore, after watching it 10 times. It is just awesome! Also: he seems to be a little bit angry about something, but I can be wrong. I'm confused :-P!

Janizdreg said:

The mashup combining Gangnam Style with the Cheetahmen theme needs more love. It used to be on YouTube as well, but apparently PSY's record label DMCA'd it.

Huh, I actually made a mashup just like that last month. Though personally I think mine sounds a bit better, too.

Somehow it got blocked everywhere except Japan and South Korea soon after uploading, but I just recently made and uploaded a new tweaked version of it:

Also I have download links to both the original and new version in the description if your interested.

I recently watched the music video and I have to say that it's pretty cool. The tune is catchy, the music video is nice and the dance is creative. I also still wonder how the music video from South Korea became so popular with so many people besides me. Either way, I hope it beats Justin Bieber's "Baby" to one billion views.

Interesting. I hate silly copyrights and their abuse as much as the next guy, but it is worth noting that even these guys do do this, as discussed earlier in the thread. Though apparently less than the biggest jerks in the business.

Current.

Hellbent said:

This video gets about 10,000,000 views a day

Did you post this video in it's own thread on a forum that gets about 10,000,000 viewers a day? If so it's your fault.

Janizdreg said:

Interesting. I hate silly copyrights and their abuse as much as the next guy, but it is worth noting that even these guys do do this, as discussed earlier in the thread. Though apparently less than the biggest jerks in the business.

Current.

Well, South Korea is America junior...

I still have absolutely no clue how this video got so popular. It's a mildly entertaining song with a mildly amusing music video. I watched it about twice and the novelty died off. It's sort of like Angry Birds, where I played it for about an hour, got bored, and now all of the sudden there are Angry Birds plushies and merchandise and shit.

And the views are still climbing at a pretty fast rate. 983,876,959 today. That's about 10,000,000 since yesterday. It should only be a few days before it reaches 1,000,000,000!

Perhaps that's what the ancient Mayans were really predicting?

Enjay said:

And the views are still climbing at a pretty fast rate. 983,876,959 today. That's about 10,000,000 since yesterday. It should only be a few days before it reaches 1,000,000,000!

That's what I thought too! If the end of the world was never their prediction then maybe the most popular song of all time being revealed was what they were counting down to.

yukib1t said:

video

Heh, I've been to Whitby and the Goth festival there a few times.

Enjay said:

There apparently actually have been predictions tying Gangnam Style into the Mayan apocalypse including fictional predictions from Nostradamus. heh

Don't have a link handy though (don't really want to go digging for it), so take that however you will.

NiTROACTiVE said:

I also still wonder how the music video from South Korea became so popular with so many people besides me.

The Internet and Katy Perry (25 million followers read this twit). Take some goofy, funny video, put it on the Internet at a place where millions will see it (like in a celebrity's twitter feed), and let mere virality propagate it further. After a while, it's self-sufficient: people will look at it just to finally know what the fuss is about, and they might become converts too.

InsanityBringer said:

There apparently actually have been predictions tying Gangnam Style into the Mayan apocalypse including fictional predictions from Nostradamus. heh

It's a joke which kooks took seriously as usual.

Gez said:

The Internet and Katy Perry (25 million followers read this twit). Take some goofy, funny video, put it on the Internet at a place where millions will see it (like in a celebrity's twitter feed), and let mere virality propagate it further. After a while, it's self-sufficient: people will look at it just to finally know what the fuss is about, and they might become converts too.

That's an interesting way for a music video from South Korea to become popular.

Also, Gangnam Style just reached over one billion views! You'll have to look up the original music video to believe it!

Heh, I saw that earlier and was thinking of posting it here myself. I was surprised at how feminine they all look doing that flicking sideways thing. In fact, the Imps standing up straight like that just look oddly feminine next to that Hell Knight anyway, with their pronounced hips and pushed-out chests compared to his ridiculously ripped upper body. Male and female of the same species, perhaps...

Also worth noting how the Hell Knight's big toothy grin does look like he's rather enjoying himself :P