• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom OG

Castle Doom - Some screens

LOL @...

"Registered just to make one post

(And waited five years to do so!)

Looks pretty nice with the HI-RES textures a couple of things, the first shot the level boundary looks very flimsy like paper needs some more geometry and height's. Also the white rock floor in the first screen looks strange because of the high res texture which causes a flat looking effect with the stones. I noticed lower/upper unpegged not set in some screens make sure you do this for alignments sake. Other than that it looks pretty interesting especially all the HellKnights standing around like it's a tea party lol!

I agree with the post below me just need to address some of the points I mentioned =)

Looks pretty good so far. I once had an idea probably just like this which was a full megawad of all castle levels. This seems so far to be exactly what I wish I could've made.

Cool, I hope you will like it then.

I actually started the first map in 2008, but then grad school happened and I forgot about it. Now I'm up to 18 levels over the past few months.

I really think this has potential. I like the theme, and the screenshots look very impressive. Two questions:

1. About how many maps do you think you'll include?

2. Are these just gonna be a bunch of varied somewhat random maps with castle theme, or are you going for more of a "this is a HUGE castle with a bunch of levels within it" kind of a thing?

Anyway, looks nice, and I can't wait to try it!

VylePhinder said:

I really think this has potential. I like the theme, and the screenshots look very impressive. Two questions:

1. About how many maps do you think you'll include?

2. Are these just gonna be a bunch of varied somewhat random maps with castle theme, or are you going for more of a "this is a HUGE castle with a bunch of levels within it" kind of a thing?

Anyway, looks nice, and I can't wait to try it!

32 levels, all in the same castle, more or less, except for things like "you just got teleported to the bottom of an outdoor chasm and have to climb back to the castle" sort of thing.

I hope that (somewhat like Diablo) the level progression sees a gradual descent into Hell with a slowly changing aesthetic along the way...

DHRP?

Oh, is that the heretic textures? If so, who do I ask? I just found them online somewhere...I'll be glad to ask.

Aha, I figured it out...Doom High Resolution Pack.

Those textures aren't in my wad. I use Risen3D to run Doom, so they must be included in Risen3D?

PS

Serious question...do people still play without high resolution textures??

Could you take some screenshots without the high-res textures?

marysson said:

Aha, I figured it out...Doom High Resolution Pack.

Those textures aren't in my wad. I use Risen3D to run Doom, so they must be included in Risen3D?

PS

Serious question...do people still play without high resolution textures??

The DHTP and most other hi-res texture attempts have changed the appearance of the textures pretty significantly, usually completely lacked any sort of consistency between textures that were supposed to match each other, and have generally looked incredibly ugly and amateurish to me. So, yes. I wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole. It's pretty uncommon to see someone using them to post pictures of their own maps, because they change the appearance of a map pretty significantly: it's not just the same textures a in higher resolution.

Reinchard's and NiuHaka's hi-res textures are by far the best attempts that have been made so far to create accurate and attractive hi-res texture replacements, but they're nowhere near complete sets yet.

Interesting.

I prefer the high resolution ones by far. I don't enjoy playing with the vanilla doom textures at all, they are just so dated, in my opinion. I don't think I would play Doom without the high resolution textures (not to mention 3d models), but that's just me.

esselfortium said:

The DHTP and most other hi-res texture attempts have changed the appearance of the textures pretty significantly, usually completely lacked any sort of consistency between textures that were supposed to match each other, and have generally looked incredibly ugly and amateurish to me.

We're all amateurs here professionals get paid for their work =)

Can you take some screenshots in vanilla/Chocolate Doom/PrBoom+?

Edit: I overlooked jute's post ;/

Looks good. You state that you are using Risen3D. Will the megawad be for all limit extending ports or will this be made just for Risen3D i.e. 3D Floors, Slopes, Ambient Sounds, Skyboxes etc. ?

hawkwind said:

Will the megawad be for all limit extending ports or will this be made just for Risen3D?

O lawd, I hope it's not just for R3D. For some reason I just can't get to grips with that port, something about it seems 'off'.

No, it doesn't use any Risen3d specific functionality. I've loaded it in ZDoom (not played it through) and it seemed to work fine.