Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

PSX Doom/Final Doom TC (Legacy TC, See first post for details)

If the secret is entirely removed, no need to add it. If it's kept but made inaccessible, then it should be fixed -- either by removing it entirely, or by making it accessible again. As long as 100%/100%/100% is possible without cheating or using odd console commands, the bug is fixed.

I'd prefer it was added back. It was one of my only complaints about the original version of this TC, I thought it would have been fixed.

Anyone playing back then would have tried and tried and tried to get that secret, only to give up, carry on, and always wonder what was in there. Even the X-ray vision cheat didnt show it!

Besides, which removed secret do you mean? There's one in the eastern part of the central courtyard, there's the one in the north that leads to a vantage point over the toxic room in the northwest, and the secret rocket launcher hidden in the crushers in the north room (they aren't even crushers anymore).

I fixed some of there color lighting issues.

Canyon - The red door is red all round now.
Catwalk - The light on the red Key platform is red now.
Minnos - blue door is blue all round.
humanbbq - blue door light is now blue
Paradox - fixed the yellow door lighting
the rooms with the blue torches look like there are lacking blue lighting but there is a slight blue tint the room color, it just does'nt show up very well, but thats the way it is in the psx game.

The Death's Domain - secret switch rebuilt

Paradox - The tri color door does not have color light in the psx game but here is what it looks like with it.

fistula - does not have color light at the red door and blue pillars the psx game but here is what it looks like with it.

nessus unobtainable secret - Iv lowered the platform the bfg is on so you can walk onto it, you also get the secret by walking on to it.

Am not sure about adding the color light to these areas since they were not colored in the actual game, although fistula looks cool. What's everyone's thoughts?

Gez said:

Besides, which removed secret do you mean? There's one in the eastern part of the central courtyard, there's the one in the north that leads to a vantage point over the toxic room in the northwest, and the secret rocket launcher hidden in the crushers in the north room (they aren't even crushers anymore).

It was a secret in the middle section, the courtyard. There was a wall compartment that could not be opened (I think its the exact same secret that the yellow key opens in the PC version). Fender removed it originally, but it might have since been added back in, I dont know.

Thanks for fixing the Nessus secret Scott, that always drove me mad on the PS1. As for that lighting, you can always justify it as a "bug fix", as this project might as well be considered PS1 Doom if it could be patched, with the fixes already made.

ScottGray said:

Paradox - The tri color door does not have color light in the psx game but here is what it looks like with it.
Fistula - does not have color light at the red door and blue pillars,

Yeah, you're right about them.

I haven't read through hundreds of posts looking for this so please forgive me if this has been mentioned, but today I did something I've never done in almost twenty years of playing various versions of Doom: I gibbed somebody with the shotgun. And then I did it again. Cool, we can now gib former humans :)

MajorRawne said:

Cool, we can now gib former humans :)

We've been gibbing those plebs since 1993.

Now gibbing them with hitscans, that's special. When I was testing fenderc01's "They Will Repent", I gibbed one of the initial Zombiemen about 4 seconds into the level... with the pistol.

It was excellent.

(I should add that this behaviour is actually faithful to the PSX game too; even the Zombiemen could gib each other!)

BaronOfStuff said:

(I should add that this behaviour is actually faithful to the PSX game too; even the Zombiemen could gib each other!)

Really? I've never seen that, across 10 years on and off PSXDoom.

Damn, as soon as I gib someone with a shotgun, someone trumps it with a pistol :P

I've never seen hitscanners gib anything. I notice it's much easier to gib bad guys in the PSX Doom TC than I remember it being in the original PSX version. Is there some kind of increased gib chance?

Just the TC, although it's inaccessible in the orignal PSX game:
http://www.classicdoom.com/psxmaps/d20ud-m.htm

On the right-hand side of the central courtyard. It should require the Yellow Skullkey to open (as it does in the PC E3M5), despite being completely unmarked in any way (textures are aligned, no clue to it being a door). Inside is a Chainsaw and a Soulsphere.

ScottGray said:

Is there anything else anyone can think of that needs addressing?

Proper reverb for the Final Doom levels, like I mentioned in a previous post (page 11). I can post details here in the next day or two.

Anyone care if we bump all of the status bar offsets down by 8, eliminating the black border at the bottom? It's a part of the original status bar graphic, but I don't see much point in keeping it when we've already lost vertical resolution over the original PSX renderer.

I'm not too bothered myself, although I would probably get rid of it if it was up to me. There's keeping a level of accuracy, and then there's utterly needless insanity; keeping a black border which offers nothing is the latter.

Well, I don't know whether I should post it here, or in the "Lost Levels" thread, but...

Did I understand correct that TC would benefit from original maps for it (I mean - created in PSX-style, while at the same time being absolutley original/non-copying any original Doom map)?
If so... well, you see - a few months ago, on iddqd.ru we had a "freak-mapping" contest, and one of the participants, BeeWen[B0S] made a PSX-style map. Even although his map (as well as others' participants) hasn't been released yet, I got BeeWen's permission to offer his map here. Would someone play/test it, and review it, in case it may be useful to this project?

Here's link to it:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6tnauv

Also, I must mention that it uses resources from the old version of PSX TC. But if this map is suitable - then it's possible to replace it's resources with more "freshier" ones from 2.0...

I don't think there are any current plans for this, but I'm all for the idea of mapset expansions that use the TC, although the maps might have to use unconventional names/slots (e.g. "EXM01") to set them apart from the 'official' maps and avoid possible naming conflicts with any other mapsets being developed.

It should be entertaining to see what sort of new maps crop up if something like this goes ahead.

Here is the info about reverb that I promised:

There are 3 different effects that are used in the PSX version, depending on which level you are on. I used 3 different effects in GZDoom that closely resemble those from the PSX version. I used 14 0 (Alley), 5 0 (Stone Room), and 7 0 (Concert Hall). Alley has the shortest reverb and is typically used for smaller or close quarters levels. Concert Hall has the longest reverb and is typically used for large or wide-open levels. Stone Room is somewhere in the middle. I can't say for sure if these rules apply the all levels, but it seems to be a good guideline to follow.

Also, like I mentioned before, there are areas with a ceiling that do not have reverb and areas with a sky that do have reverb. For areas that need to be isolated, close off the entire area using linedef action number 121 (Line Identification) and set flag 1 (Sound boundary). Add a sound environment thing to the closed off area if applicable.

Here is a list of maps from the original PSX Doom using each reverb effect:
Alley: 3, 5, 8, 11, 23, 26, 28, 35, 39, 49, 52, 53
Stone Room: 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 13-16, 18, 19, 21, 22, 24, 25, 27, 30, 32-34, 38, 40-42, 44-48, 50, 51, 54, 55
Concert Hall: 1, 2, 12, 17, 20, 29, 31, 36, 56-59
None: 37, 43

I will add the Final Doom maps to this list once I go through and figure them out.

Quick question about controls, I'm using a PS3 Pad to play this and the controls seem a little off, I have set it up with the same button configuration as the original games:

Move forward: D-Pad up
Move backward: D-Pad down
Turn left or right: D-Pad left or right
Strafe on: X Button
Open Doors and Activate Switches: Circle Button
Fire weapon: Triangle Button
Run: Square Button
Strafe left or right: L1 or R1 Button
Weapon down: L2 Button
Strafe up: R2 Button
Automap on/off, brings up Menu when Paused: Select Button
Pause game: Start Button

But both the run speed and turning speed don't seem to match. Has anyone else played with the settings to get the feel more authentic?

francis247uk said:

Quick question about controls, I'm using a PS3 Pad to play this and the controls seem a little off...both the run speed and turning speed don't seem to match. Has anyone else played with the settings to get the feel more authentic?

What do you mean? They don't seem to match the PSX run/turn speed? That's to do with the playerclass settings in the PK3 itself, although it'll never match the feel of the original game completely because it's a completely different platform.

I appreciate it won't be the same, I meant with specific regards to settings for a PS3 pad in controller settings:

If necessary could the player class settings in the PK3 be adjusted then?

francis247uk,

Try configuring the D-Pad to be a POV instead of being an x and y axis in the MotioninJoy config program.