Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phml

Accents in SLADE 3?

While I can type them just fine, after saving and loading all accents end up as gibberish characters. Google, SLADE wiki, etc. haven't been helpful. Perhaps I'm not looking at the right spot, but I don't know where to look. Is there a way to have accents in SLADE 3, or is it just something I have to learn to live without?

Probably some issue with UTF-8.

That said, I can't replicate the issue. The effect I do get is that it fails to save certain odd characters, turning the lump into a marker.

All those characters are fine:

éàêèëïöüçÀÈÌÒÙÿâôûîäùÉ
ÀÁÂÄÃÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖØÙÚÛÜÝÜ
Þßàáâãäåæçèéêìëíîïðñòóôõö
÷øùúûüýþ

Those characters (and probably more) result in the lump being saved as a marker.
ĀāĂ㥹ĆćĈĉĊċČčĎď
ĐđĒēĔĕĖėĘęĚěĜĝĞğĠġĢģĤģĤĥĦħ
ĨĩĪĪīĬĭĮįİıIJijĴĵĶķĸĹĺĻļĽľĿŀŁł
ŃńŅņŇňʼnŋŊŌōŎŏŐőŒœŔŕ
ŖŗŘřŚśŜŝŞşŠšŢţţŤťŦŧ
ŨũŪūŬŭŮůŰűŲųŴŵŶŷŸ
ŹźŻżŽžſƀƁƂƃƄƅƆƇƈƉƊƋƌƍƎƏƐƑƒƓƔƕ

That's because lumps require exactly 8 bytes, but non-US characters are usually understood in Unicode (more bytes per character!) or any of the ambiguous extended ASCII scripts (western, central European, baltic, cyrillic etc.). Basically, you either have to choose between an extended ASCII script that might look wrong in a non-western computer, or use something like UTF-8 and limit lump names with diacritics to lengths shorter than 8 bytes. In short, don't bother.

Sorry, I explained my problem pretty poorly; rather than lump names themselves, I meant to say I could type accents within text lumps (i.e. commenting decorate) and save, but then it turns to gibberish after reloading the wad or deselecting and reselecting that particular lump. Would that be the same issue, or something different?

That's the main point, Phml.

Windows 9x used mainly Code page Windows-1252 for 8-bit characters (in "ANSI Strings"), NT based Windows versions (incl. 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8) still do (despite a better support for 16-bit characters in "Wide Strings"); DOS instead (and the original DOOM is a program for DOS) used "OEM Code pages" like 437 (US), 850 (Western European), 852 (Slavic, Eastern European), 865 (Nordic European)...

In Code page 437, half of the extended character set (128-255) is used for block and line-drawing characters, not for readable text characters even.

CP 437:

CP 850:

Just in to report a bug. I hope it's not platform specific, but whatever. I'm using Slade r1378 for OS X (it exists!) and I've just tried editing a text lump that initially contains only standard ASCII characters (the ones you can type from the US keyboard alone). I replaced a character with another that's not even from the traditional "western" set (ș). When I saved the lump, the lump contents got destroyed, and it became a "marker" (0-length bug)! Then I wrote one that's not from the US keyboard, but is western: î. That didn't break it. Isn't this (lump deletion) a bug? I hope you can reproduce it.

Wouldn't it be better to assume UTF-8 support for viewing lump as text, instead of Windows/DOS mumbo-jumbo? That would also fix Phml's problem of text mutating, because that's precisely what happens when you change the encoding locale from "western" to another region. Optionally let the user choose non-default legacy encodings if text has already been written assuming western or OEM.

That's what I was talking about earlier in the thread: some accent characters cause the text lump to become a marker lump.

I'm not sure exactly what causes this, because if I could fix it I'd be happy. This has annoyed me several times.

However, I can't replicate the bug as described by Phml, where characters turn to gibberish instead.