Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Back to Saturn X E1: 1.1.6 bugfix

pizzabob18 said:

The level names and wad title are all songs by indie rock band "Guided By Voices".

Heh, I'm looking forward to playing "Game of Pricks."

EDIT: "Blatant Doom Trip" has got to crop up somewhere too.
EDITEDIT: Man, there are some great Doom related song titles in their catalogue. Great choice guys!

glenzinho said:

"Blatant Doom Trip" has got to crop up somewhere too.

I'm pretty sure *CENSORED FOR CONTENT*

Yeah, just googled GBV song titles (I've heard of the band but I think I only know Teenage FBI) and there's 1,869 on the database I found. Plenty of titles that could work as map names too, you just picked the wrong ones :-p

At least I get the reference now.

glenzinho said:

EDIT: "Blatant Doom Trip" has got to crop up somewhere too.

Read the text file carefully.

There's at least one other GBV song title hidden in the story blurb, too.

On an unrelated note, I was browsing through the textures in SLADE 3 and saw DOORBGA and DOORBGB as 128x96 textures filled only by a single 96x96 patch. Isn't that something that crashes vanilla, when a texture has empty columns?

Gez said:

On an unrelated note, I was browsing through the textures in SLADE 3 and saw DOORBGA and DOORBGB as 128x96 textures filled only by a single 96x96 patch. Isn't that something that crashes vanilla, when a texture has empty columns?

That's a mistake on my part; I originally had the missing space filled in with a neutral color until I redid those textures a couple weeks ago. Fortunately it doesn't seem to be crashing Chocodoom or vanilla, but it is still incorrect and I'll make a note to fix it in a future update.

Gez said:

That used to error Eternity on startup actually (maybe not any more?)

printz said:

That used to error Eternity on startup actually (maybe not any more?)

Not since SoM's new texture system went in.

esselfortium said:

That's a mistake on my part; I originally had the missing space filled in with a neutral color until I redid those textures a couple weeks ago. Fortunately it doesn't seem to be crashing Chocodoom or vanilla, but it is still incorrect and I'll make a note to fix it in a future update.

Empty columns will crash Vanilla when it tries to render them.

The session has begun. Get in here! Server holds up to 30 spectators on top of 20 players so there's plenty room. US sesh starts at 20:00 EST if you can't make Euro.
xx

Guest DILDOMASTER666

purist said:
U.S. Mustard Company

For some reason every time I see this I always think "man, this is such a RottKing map name" and then I realize ... yeah

MAP07 linedef 1249 has special number 9. This must be a typo or something.

Is there any chance of getting the MIDIs for these tracks? I'm assuming they're in MUS format in the wad. And do the tracks have names?

Everything I've played so far has been very impressive. I'm looking forward to the next two episodes.

Just started playing it today. It's pretty impressive stuff, but maybe a bit cramped sometimes. The music was cool, but I had to turn it away, it was too distracting. Maybe I listen to it later when I don't need to concentrate on shooting and dodging stuff.

Currently at level 7.

jute said:

Is there any chance of getting the MIDIs for these tracks? I'm assuming they're in MUS format in the wad. And do the tracks have names?

They are actually in MIDI format, because people are now aware that vanilla Doom includes Dave Taylor's MIDI2MUS code and will convert MIDI to MUS automatically if needed.

The MIDI tracks have names, except for the title screen song. It's all listed in the text file (and in the WADINFO lump):

01 Esselfortium - Entering
02 Esselfortium - Phobophobe
03 Stewboy - Drilling By Night
04 Esselfortium - Clonk
05 Jimmy - Atmospheric Pressure
06 Darkhaven - Nanonucleonic Cyborg Summoning
07 Jimmy - Conductor
08 Esselfortium - Waiting
09 Jimmy - Untilted
10 Jimmy - Coal
11 Jimmy - Yaw
12 Jimmy - Liquid Luck
13 Jimmy - Escape Velocity
14 Stewboy - 24
15 Jimmy - Quicksilver
16 Esselfortium - Waiting
17 Esselfortium - Dirt
18 Sirjuddington - Untitled
19 Jimmy - The Cry
20 Jimmy - Heliotrope
21 Esselfortium - Womp
22 Esselfortium - Waiting
23 Jimmy - Within Reach
31 Jimmy - Atomic

Stats Screen: Jimmy, Essel, and Xaser - Back to Saturn X
Story Screen: Darkhaven - BTSX Intermission

Stewboy apparently at some point stopped trying to name his songs and just numbers them now, hence "24". Sirjuddington couldn't remember the name of his track when I asked, so it's just untitled until further notice. Jimmy's "Untilted", on the other hand, is the real name and not a typo. ;)

I'm glad people are generally digging the music. We put a lot of work into it, and I love the soundtrack we came up with. I had hardly done any composing for general MIDI instruments before BTSX, started on a whim, and ended up writing a ton of stuff in the past 6 months because I was having so much fun with it. Well, I say "a ton" by my standards -- Jimmy has me beat by a few hundred thousand songs :P

I thought 24 was a play on his music pen name of 42.

Who did the title screen song?

Jimmy did it. I forgot to list that when I threw together the txt... hopefully for 1.0 there'll be a longer text file with more detailed credits, and authors' comments on the maps and music.

There's no cyber on map11 apparently.

Btw, there are some 3d starts in the maps that apparently crash vanilla (even if all difficulty flags are disabled). Myk said you can change it from type 32000 to type 0 and it won't crash. You can still use it as a camera but the thing doesn't follow you.

Pottus said:

Cyber problem Map11 stuck

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/coop20121213185543.png/

Happened on the ZDaemon server

Lawl. I'm guessing this was with the random respawn stuff that was added for the second runthrough on there?

TimeOfDeath said:

Btw, there are some 3d starts in the maps that apparently crash vanilla (even if all difficulty flags are disabled). Myk said you can change it from type 32000 to type 0 and it won't crash. You can still use it as a camera but the thing doesn't follow you.

Really? CSonicGo did some testing in Doom2.exe and never mentioned this to my knowledge. None of us testing in Chocodoom encountered it either. I'm pretty sure there are un-flagged 3D starts in every map I worked on at all, and probably most of the others.

Pottus said:

Cyber problem Map11 stuck

1) open btsx_e1 map11 in your editor of choice
2) look up thing type 16
3) stare at the number 0 for a while
4) go yell at the person who ran the zdaemon session for using stupid random respawn settings instead of bothering us

UGHHHHH. like i'm not mad enough from them even running that stupid setting alone.

esselfortium said:

Lawl. I'm guessing this was with the random respawn stuff that was added for the second runthrough on there?

Really? CSonicGo did some testing in Doom2.exe and never mentioned this to my knowledge. None of us testing in Chocodoom encountered it either. I'm pretty sure there are un-flagged 3D starts in every map I worked on at all, and probably most of the others.

Maybe so, I have not played ZDaemon since 2009 so I was ignorant of server settings.

esselfortium said:

I don't know from experience, I just remember that discussion with Myk (just in vanilla, not choco).

dew said:

1) open btsx_e1 map11 in your editor of choice
2) look up thing type 16
3) stare at the number 0 for a while
4) go yell at the person who ran the zdaemon session for using stupid random respawn settings instead of bothering us

UGHHHHH. like i'm not mad enough from them even running that stupid setting alone.

I never bothered you, you bothered yourself by writing such ignorance.