Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Rage DLC "The Scorchers" incoming this Tuesday!

Just a shame its rather irrelevant by now and will hardly fix an already broken game (people still experience graphics issues and whatnot).

Personally I think id should release it for free. I don't see them getting a lot of people buying it after this long. If its free it might get a few people back into the game and maybe a few buying it on a sale or whatever. But still, it just feels a bit too late.

Well, since they managed to resell Doom a dozen times under different packagings, and even give Doom 3 a second chance, sure they can pimp up Rage.

I always wondered why they never released DLC for the game. I figured because it was a commercial disappointment. This probably would have been released a lot earlier if it was a popular game. This has probably been finished for some time now.

This probably would have been included in the original game or in one of the patches if not for the "i'll buy this new mount for 25$, the price is fair" crowd.

Yep, nailgun as a DLC for an id game...

This is hell
This is fate
But now this is your home and it's great
So rejoice
Pop a cork
Honey, everyone's coming to modern video game industry!

Harmata said:

This probably would have been included in the original game or in one of the patches if not for the "i'll buy this new mount for 25$, the price is fair" crowd.

This theory doesn't work when what you are buying is far more then just a gun, and the package is only $5. You are over-reacting.
Edit: And it's being released over a year since the original release of RAGE.

Well, you can't go wrong when we're talking 5 dollars. New levels, enemies and a gun for just 5 dollars seems very reasonable plus we have no proof that the Nailgun was actually cut, they might have made it just for this DLC.

Quake 4 received Nailgun in a patch, if i remember correctly.

we have no proof that the Nailgun was actually cut, they might have made it just for this DLC.

And we will never receive that proof, only producers will decide what will stay in the game, will be given out for free or sold, not you, not even developers, not anymore. People who say that couple of skins, maps and a gun is a fair amount of content for 5$ forget that in the late 90s-early 2000s we received such content and more for free.

And it's being released over a year since the original release of RAGE.

They could've make a whole fucking expansion pack in that time.

Well, it's your money people, but you are killing the whole industry just for couple of hours of entertainment. Can you imagine super shotgun for Doom as a DLC for "only" 0.99$? Bizarre.

Harmata said:

Your memory does not serve you well.

Harmata said:

I wasn't aware that you have worked with mega-textures before. Can you show me some of your work?

Harmata said:

And we will never receive that proof, only producers will decide what will stay in the game, will be given out for free or sold, not you, not even developers, not anymore. People who say that couple of skins, maps and a gun is a fair amount of content for 5$ forget that in the late 90s-early 2000s we received such content and more for free.

Well, it's your money people, but you are killing the whole industry just for couple of hours of entertainment. Can you imagine super shotgun for Doom as a DLC for "only" 0.99$? Bizarre.

But there are new levels. You're focusing on one small part of it and pretending the rest doesn't exist. People are buying new levels, the nailgun just comes with them. Like how the super shotgun came with Doom II's new content, which sold for an awful lot more than this expansion.

Harmata said:

Well, yes BUT back then stuff was much easier to make, especially maps. Looking at the level of detail in RAGE, where every texture is unique, it takes a lot more time and effort to make even one room whereas you can make a good Doom or Quake map in just a few days so yeah, I think 5 dollars is very reasonable considering what we get for it. Other companies release skins for 5 dollars (BioWare)

esselfortium said:

But there are new levels. You're focusing on one small part of it and pretending the rest doesn't exist. People are buying new levels, the nailgun just comes with them. Like how the super shotgun came with Doom II's new content, which sold for an awful lot more than this expansion.

Yeah, I very much agree with this. I don't even consider Doom 2 to be a true sequel because it had far too little new stuff in it and one new weapon and a few more monsters doesn't count, even if they are great resources for maps. FFS, they even REUSED tons and tons of sprites and textures oh yeah and aesthetically, it didn't progress at all, in fact it was a step backwards from Doom 1 and I don't care if the gameplay is much better, we're talking Id Software here and my standards are incredibly high when it comes to them. So yeah, why didn't people compain about Doom 2 when it was released, I find this very odd? Just to be sure, I don't want to incite anyone with this.

Your memory does not serve you well.

Can you be more specific?

I wasn't aware that you have worked with mega-textures before.

Well, yes BUT back then stuff was much easier to make, especially maps.

Emmm, but i thought megatexture technology was supposed to make things easier for designers? It sure was marketed as such. Also, they are a team of professional developers, it's their work.

You're focusing on one small part of it and pretending the rest doesn't exist.

No i don't.

I don't even consider Doom 2 to be a true sequel

Which is wrong, because it continues the plot. But yeah i understand what you mean. Still, much more better than DLCs.

Harmata said:

The Nailgun was always in Quake4. I needed to explain that to you? Honestly.

Harmata said:

Emmm, but i thought megatexture technology was supposed to make things easier for designers? It sure was marketed as such. Also, they are a team of professional developers, it's their work.

I don't think you understand what you are talking about. The technology behind idtech5's mega-texture rendering is the fact that it exists in the first place. It's a texture streaming engine. It's not marketed as "making things easier for designers", except in the sense that they no longer need to worry about texture budgets (and apparently something to do with being able to easily change texture geometry, which makes sense). Either way, this doesn't suddenly mean you can just make an entire game's worth of content (or something even close to that), QA test it and push it out in around a year.

Harmata said:

The Nailgun was already in Quake 4, it was the Napalm Launcher which was added through a patch but it was meant for Multiplayer in the new maps.

It was never marketed as "making things easier for designers"

In the first ever Rage video, at some conference or some shit, Carmack told how designers can edit textures on the fly, can "add their name on a texture".

except in the sense that they no longer need to worry about texture budgets.

Which makes things easier for the designer.

Now if they could finally release the editing tools.

Not until they milk people with DLCs.

Harmata said:

Well, yes! I remember John Romero said it took him one day to make a map for the new Thy Flesh Consumed map pack. I seriously doubt it takes that little to make a new map in RAGE. I imagine there has to be a collaboration between at least a dozen level designers artists and choreographers for each level and since each texture is unique, they practically have to paint every pixel.

Another example: Let's say a doom fan makes a Doom 1 episode of Id Software quality (or better) in one month. If you want to make a Doom 3 mod that reaches Id Software quality (or surpasses it) you have to spend YEARS to complete it and you can't do it by yourself. Just look at Doom 3 Phobos and you'll see what I mean.

Harmata said:

Which makes things easier for the designer.

Not necessarily "easier" .When they said that, they probably meant that because they don't have any limits anymore, realizing their artistic vision for a room is a lot less frustrating because they don't have to worry about texture tiling or repetition anymore. So yeah, in this way, it IS easier but since they can do a lot more, there is also a lot more work to be done.

"Can you be more specific?" question was towards Edward850 and the "patch-gun" for Quake 4 discussion.

I seriously doubt it takes that little to make a new map in RAGE. I imagine there has to be a collaboration between at least a dozen level designers artists and choreographers for each level and since each texture is unique, they practically have to paint every pixel.

You are stretching it too much.

If you want to make a Doom 3 mod that reaches Id Software quality (or surpasses it) you have to spend YEARS to complete it and you can't do it by yourself. Just look at Doom 3 Phobos and you'll see what I mean.

I'm pretty sure that Phobos is not the only mod for Doom 3. Again, "YEARS" and "id software level of quality" are vague presumptions.

since they can do a lot more, there is also a lot more work to be done.

The discussion was about difficulty of work, not amount. Also, presumption again.

Wait, are people genuinely saying that a mini-expansion pack released one year after the game for $5 is "milking" and "killing the industry"?