Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom 4 should have...

Well, after recently playing through a bit of Doom...

I don't think Doom 4 can really be exactly the same and still work, but it can still take elements from the originals that most games no longer possess.

Like complex map structure full of secrets and a combat style that focuses more on keeping on your feet to avoid attacks, as well as making sure that there's good reason to do your best to avoid being hit in the first place instead of just regenerating to full health without any consequences after a few seconds.

However, if they just copy and pasted the mechanics of the original... Well that would probably be quite lazy and indicate a failure to take advantage of the greater technology that is now at their disposal.

I would expect monsters to behave more intelligently and move faster than the original Doom games, generally they should exhibit more complex behaviors and not walk into walls so often. I would expect the maps to take advantage of the superior engine and so on.

And the demons should seem well and properly threatening of course, in all of their behaviors and appearances.

idSoftware981 said:

If anyone is reading this.

Oh my God, I'm dying here. Seriously, why... ooohh myyy goooddd...

Why would you... start off your post like this? Like it was the last audio log of somebody dying in the wilderness? 'If anyone is reading this.' Ha ha ha ha... I can't breathe...

idSoftware981 said:

I just love blasting Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, The Who, and Rush while playing Far Cry 3!

:D

Aaaand the retard tape has finished re-winding! It's back at the beginning, with BLASTING METAL AGAIN!

Caffeine Freak said:

I'd honestly have preferred there being no human conspiracy behind the invasion at all.

I don't think he is a real human, I think he is just a disguise of the hell ruler or something.

Caffeine Freak said:

It's back at the beginning, with BLASTING METAL AGAIN!

Fuck yeah \m/

Caffeine Freak said:

It's back at the beginning, with BLASTING METAL AGAIN!

As long as the metal music isn't implemented lamely like in the later game of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. francise (Call of Pripyat) for example.

Avoozl said:

As long as the metal music isn't implemented lamely like in the later game of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. francise (Call of Pripyat) for example.

CoP had metal?

What? Where? When?...

DoomUK said:

CoP had metal?

What? Where? When?...

I recall it played either metal or rock during gun fights at times.

DOOM 4 should be everything DOOM represents.

Loud rock/metal music blaring on levels where there's hordes of demons.

Tons of blood and gore

Centered weapons

Running 100000 mph

Bunnyhopping

Rocketjumping

Satanic imagery

Killing demons!

Ambient music on the approtiate levels.

Tons of blood and gore

Centered weapons

Running 100000 mph

Bunnyhopping

Rocketjumping

Satanic imagery

Killing demons!

Ambient music on the appropriate levels.

idSoftware981 said:

Tons of blood and gore

Centered weapons

Running 100000 mph

Bunnyhopping

Rocketjumping

Satanic imagery

Killing demons!

Ambient music on the appropriate levels.

No fucking way!? How many times have you actually said this now?

Satanic Imagery, Killing Demons? No shit! Like a DOOM game is going to be anything but..

Fuck's sake!

Han shot first! They're demon's not mutants! Mario's overalls are red not blue! Etc.

I hyperbol-ize, but all kidding aside, the most important aesthetic element of Doom for me is the demonic stuff. It's so refreshing in an age where most shooters are going for realism.

idSoftware981 said:

Tons of blood and gore

Centered weapons

Running 100000 mph

Bunnyhopping

Rocketjumping

Satanic imagery

Killing demons!

Ambient music on the approtiate levels.

*Facepalm*

What I would really like to see is complex and varied demon behaviors, including interactions and infighting between demons and different types.

Pinkies should probably be almost mindlessly aggressive predators, tearing apart anything they can get their mouths on. Including other demons. Of course there should also be barely "tame" Pinkies found in the company of smarter demon variants as their handlers.

Imps should always be minions, but I think they would work well as clever or at least cunning minions capable of working in concert with one another and utilize various tactics as a pack. Maybe even trying to ambush the player and flank you when they get the chance. But really, they would still just be Imps. Nothing too threatening or intelligent, just a bit of basic cunning. Well, unless they're being commanded by something else...

Which could be the perfect role for Hell Knights, as they could make ideal field commanders for hell's armies, able to get lesser demons to perform more complex tasks and work together in different ways as well as carry out more intelligent tactics. Also, it would be nice that if they would crush or brutally beat any minion that accidentally hit them if they were close at hand. Or maybe just pick them up and toss them at the player.

You know, stuff like that. Archviles should basically behave as even higher up in the chain of command, serving as sort of demonic priests or something and preferring to utilize its minions in ways that made full use of its abilities. Which would of course include being able to resurrect them.

Things like Masterminds and Arachnotrons should probably show evidence of using those brain bodies of their for more than shooting guns at things. I'm not exactly sure how but they should show off their technological adeptness and intelligence in some way. And they should fight smart too and seem more controlled and analytical than the other demons. I imagine they would probably be closer to Hell's equivalent of scientists and researchers than proper warriors but they could still use an assortment of technology to be just as dangerous as any if not more so.

That's just my opinion, but still. I would like to see a whole variety of unique interactions between all of the demon varieties and having them behave differently in combat depending upon that. I want them to seem like they're actually a part of some army with distinct roles and purpose, not just a random assortment of monsters just wandering about aimlessly until you come along to kill them all.

JarHed said:

*Regarding Monster Behaviour*

You know, that's actually a pretty neat idea, I wouldn't mind seeing this.

Pinkies should probably be almost mindlessly aggressive predators, tearing apart anything they can get their mouths on. Including other demons. Of course there should also be barely "tame" Pinkies found in the company of smarter demon variants as their handlers

Similar to RCTW's Lopers. In Doom 3, they were apparently used as food by the higher demon's, as you could see them hanging from the ceiling in Hell, so maybe we could see the process of that fight happening.

Imps should always be minions, but I think they would work well as clever or at least cunning minions capable of working in concert with one another and utilize various tactics as a pack. Maybe even trying to ambush the player and flank you when they get the chance. But really, they would still just be Imps. Nothing too threatening or intelligent, just a bit of basic cunning. Well, unless they're being commanded by something else...

I think they could just get away with keeping it like Doom 3's imp, an agile spider-like humanoid. If they were used significantly less they would make a good bitch demon.

Which could be the perfect role for Hell Knights, as they could make ideal field commanders for hell's armies, able to get lesser demons to perform more complex tasks and work together in different ways as well as carry out more intelligent tactics. Also, it would be nice that if they would crush or brutally beat any minion that accidentally hit them if they were close at hand. Or maybe just pick them up and toss them at the player

I'm not too sure about picking up demons and throwing them, but they could also be the handlers for the pinky's as you suggested earlier. Who knows, maybe if pinky's are larger this time round, the Hell Knights could ride in on pinkyback!

You know, stuff like that. Archviles should basically behave as even higher up in the chain of command, serving as sort of demonic priests or something and preferring to utilize its minions in ways that made full use of its abilities. Which would of course include being able to resurrect them.

They really need to toughen back up the Arch-Vile, D3's was way too easy, and I the original flame attack could look very neat under newer graphics.

Things like Masterminds and Arachnotrons should probably show evidence of using those brain bodies of their for more than shooting guns at things. I'm not exactly sure how but they should show off their technological adeptness and intelligence in some way. And they should fight smart too and seem more controlled and analytical than the other demons. I imagine they would probably be closer to Hell's equivalent of scientists and researchers than proper warriors but they could still use an assortment of technology to be just as dangerous as any if not more so.

Doing spider things would be a good start, they could use metal wire as a web. Perhaps an Arachnotron could winch in from the ceiling using this wire. And send out a noise of some sort to signal some Trites to come in too.

See, idsoftware981? That's how you make a good post.

Eris Falling said:
I think they could just get away with keeping it like Doom 3's imp, an agile spider-like humanoid. If they were used significantly less they would make a good bitch demon.

They could, but I'd really like to see a more organized sort of functional army of hell with a purpose aspect to the demons. I could see Zombies and Imps being used as a sort of slave labor and cannon fodder for higher level demons and when on their own Imps could work well hunting in packs. As well as exhibiting all of that agile spider-like behavior so we can have packs of imps ready to strike from all sorts of directions.

I'm not too sure about picking up demons and throwing them, but they could also be the handlers for the pinky's as you suggested earlier. Who knows, maybe if pinky's are larger this time round, the Hell Knights could ride in on pinkyback!

Really, that all depends upon the relative sizes of the creatures involved. The throwing demons they were pissed at towards you was just a random idea. As in, I don't think they should be completely distracted from their original target all the time. Basically they could pick up some lesser Demon they were pissed at, ready to tear it apart before shaking off its rage, glancing back at you and realizing who the true threat is and just tossing the poor imp right at you.

Anyhow, I would like to see several demon varieties handling chained up tamed demons, Hell Knights likely being tough enough to just pull them around like a large dog and Imps basically having to work together and perhaps under supervision to drag one around with them as well. With Imps probably having to use multiple chains from all sides so that they can keep it from mauling them all. And maybe Archviles would just be able to... Hmmm... Use their freaky magic stuff to alter Pinkie behavior? I just imagine that the presence of something like an Archvile might be able to prevent infighting and keep other demons in line by being a sort of reminder of their purpose and well, being a creepy demon priest thingy.

They really need to toughen back up the Arch-Vile, D3's was way too easy, and I the original flame attack could look very neat under newer graphics.

Oh I agree, aside from the aforementioned idea that they could more or less religiously inspire other demons to work together more efficiently they should also be able to call upon whatever power the forces of Hell worship for other things. And that's what they should seem like they're doing, not projecting flames or plasma with their hands but rather calling upon a greater power to smite their foes with fire or raise the dead.

Or whatever hellish "miracle" they need. I think they could have more varied abilities but I would like it to seem like they're sort of representatives for a greater power that they can call upon. Oh, and it would be nice seeing them preside over human sacrifices and other rituals.

Doing spider things would be a good start, they could use metal wire as a web. Perhaps an Arachnotron could winch in from the ceiling using this wire. And send out a noise of some sort to signal some Trites to come in too.

Well I was thinking that they should probably have an arsenal of experimental weaponry and defenses and stuff of that nature.

Anyhow, I'm not sure how it would be designed to make it all work, but I would like to have levels where the Demons are actively working towards some goal instead of just sitting in a base waiting to be cleared out. I want to see Imps roaming around and hunting down survivors. Pinkies feasting upon corpses regardless of their state of animation, or just eating the still living and running down anything edible. Hell Knights directing their "troops" towards some strategic goal. Archviles presiding over tasks of great unholy purpose. And things like Arachnotrons being involved in weapons research or taking over human bases with their technical expertise as well as working out the greater demonic strategies and logistics. Or whatever. It would be interesting to see them hack into your bases defenses, turn everything against you and lock you in.

They should all seem to be doing interesting things other than just waiting for you. And perhaps what they're doing should have an actual plot related purpose, like trying to find or steal something. Or open more portals. Or exterminate the surviving pockets of humanity no matter where they might be hiding. Just something more than standing around or trying to kill exactly one Marine and failing miserably at it.

I wouldn't mind seeing the process of creating Revenants. And if they're half-human like I think I've read somewhere, the creation of the Mancubi could potentially be a very sickening scene.

Protagonist-wise, I'd like to think the first Doom 3 guy returns, would make nice continuity.

And the Icon of Sin would look insane today, and who knows what we'd find if we turned on NOCLIP and went inside it...

Stilliw mit, em llik tsum uoy, emag eht niw ot.

@AgentBromsnor: Seconded.

Well, I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed to not be a sequel to Doom 3 so his return would only confuse the continuity to the point of total confusion. That may have been a bit redundant.

Really, my only stable opinion on who the protagonist should be is some sort of Marine who can keep up a decent pace and run for prolonged periods of time without quickly becoming exhausted. Real humans are practically designed to keep running for hours on end, something we're capable of so long as we're physically fit. Maybe not at top speed, but much faster than a walk.

But yes, I would love to see some demonic surgery going on with the cyborgs that they have. Preferably without anesthesia and performed by the Brain Spider guys.

I wish DOOM 4 would just be everything DOOM 1 was. I understand all the hate on me. I understand everyone bashes me. What I've been trying to fucking say is that DOOM 4 should be completely different from DOOM 3 and be more like the Classic DOOM's we all played...

It should be like DOOM 1.

Also, if your going to do anything new maybe have a dynamic weather like it will change from sunny to foggy to raining to nighttime to sunny.....

Oh and also I really wish id Software could get SLAYER to help write the music and sounds (ala what Trent Reznor did with Quake.)

Do you know that doom 4 was already released and can be purchased online now? In addition, it's almost everthing you wanted it to be. Just don't be mislead by weird font on the webpage that makes "doom 4" look like "doom 1".

idSoftware981 said:

Also, if your going to do anything new maybe have a dynamic weather like it will change from sunny to foggy to raining to nighttime to sunny

What music do you want playing as the weather changes? SLAYER for rain and BLACK SABBATH for night, presumably? Or would that totally not be like DOOM 1?

idSoftware981 said:

Also, if your going to do anything new maybe have a dynamic weather like it will change from sunny to foggy to raining to nighttime to sunny.....

Oh man, in addition to lighting, iron sights and the other revolutionary features you listed above, I'm sure a weather system will totally make it the game to top all other games! And so much like Doom 1 as well!

idSoftware981 said:

1) I wish DOOM 4 would just be everything DOOM 1 was. I understand all the hate on me. I understand everyone bashes me. What I've been trying to fucking say is that DOOM 4 should be completely different from DOOM 3 and be more like the Classic DOOM's we all played...

2)Also, if your going to do anything new maybe have a dynamic weather like it will change from sunny to foggy to raining to nighttime to sunny.....

3) Oh and also I really wish id Software could get SLAYER to help write the music and sounds (ala what Trent Reznor did with Quake.)

1) One if you understand all the hate on you, why are you still posting, you aren't helping your situation.

2) What Caffiene Freak said. Every fucking game does this..IIRC, Battlefield Bad Company 2 had one level with thunder, then the next level immediately after was sun...
CoD 4, first and second level too.

DN3D E4L1 and E4L2!! That was 16 years ago!

3) If he did Quake and initially Doom 3, how about they just use Reznor for Doom 4.

Agentbromsnor said:

They should hire Cannibal Corpse to do the soundtrack, they're so brutal!! :D:D:D Amirite??

H0w ab0ut w3 g3t m1ch43l j4ck50n t0 d0 z0mb33 s0undz, l0l CWATIDIDTHAR.

GOD DAMN IT LISTEN TO ME FOR ONCE!

I mean dynamic weather in REAL fucking TIME! Also, just cause I want heavy metal in DOOM 4 doesn't mean I'm retarded or what-not. I JUST WANT GOOD OL FUCKING DOOM! IS IT THAT HARD TO ASK OF?! I'm sick of all these liberal politically-correct video games.

WE NEED A HARDCORE FIRST-PERSON SHOOTER OUT THERE ON THE MARKET!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LVccqydSbQ

idSoftware981 said:

GOD DAMN IT LISTEN TO ME FOR ONCE!

I'd rather not.

idSoftware981 said:

I'm sick of all these liberal politically-correct video games.

You know what I'm sick of? Games that use shitty heavy metal music to provoke some sense of action. I'm sick of games that use arbitrary bullshit like iron sights just because every other FPS game has been doing it. I'm sick of games that use stupid gimmicky graphic features like bloom and motionblur that add fuck all to the core gameplay and are only there to either agrivate you or benchmark your videocard (or both).

Also, you bitch about political correctness? Didn't you mention somewhere that you're 15 or something? Get a damn life.