Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang

21st December, do you believe about the Apocalypse?

In terms of it happening by supernatural forces; no. If there is going to be any apocalypse it's going to definitely be man made, and with all the recent and horrific events I'm thinking SOMETHING might happen. Doesn't mean I think it will succeed though.

zap610 said:

In terms of it happening by supernatural forces; no. If there is going to be any apocalypse it's going to definitely be man made, and with all the recent and horrific events I'm thinking SOMETHING might happen. Doesn't mean I think it will succeed though.

I think it's pretty much been said already in this thread, if not SOMEWHERE on Doomworld, but any apocalypse, successful or not, is going to be caused by people kicking off because they THINK there will be an apocalypse.
Neat little circle if you ask me.

Avoozl said:

Also what timezone is it supposed to be in?

Zulu time :P

baronofheck82 said:

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!

Of course we are, though I doubt it'll happen on the 21st - unless we're clobbered by an unidentified rogue asteroid.

I'll wake up on the 22nd and be laughing hysterically.
At some point throughout the following years I'll probably witness how the North Pole becomes replaced by an East Pole, and how the South Pole becomes replaced by a West Pole. Will be some fun times, yo.
Cheers to the good times!

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:
So how about you guys? If you believe it, what you hope to do for these "last" few days?

While I see no evidence for anything the 21st, we can take it as a popular culture metaphor for the state of the economy in the West and the effects of global warming.

Comments saying stuff like "I'll laugh the 22nd" seem to imply an underlying doubt. Why gloat at something so obviously false?

lol if we "managed to survive" ** till 22nd, then it will be a great joke for the Mayans, thus proves that it's just a fake silly joke. I don't really think 21st disaster will happens.

zap610 said:

Man made? What about cosmic? What about Earth losing its magnetic poles?

myk said:

Why gloat at something so obviously false?

I'm sure there's a percentage of non-believing people whose rational part their brain is overpowered by their imagination and the nagging "What if?" question.

But for the rest of us, what else can be done or said that hasn't been covered by scientific wisdom, except to make fun of it? The only other option for people is to sink into a state of depression over how ridiculous the idea is, and to mourn the absence of common sense.

DoomUK said:
But for the rest of us, what else can be done or said that hasn't been covered by scientific wisdom, except to make fun of it?

Mostly ignore it.

I probably would make fun of it if someone were to try to do something practical with these notions, but less so just because of the ideas. The world is full of silly, stupid or insane ideas, and in many senses they are expected. They are in part real reactions to situations and conditions that the subjects may not be in a position to escape. Trying to "shake them out of them" may not be of any use. At least in relation to them. It may be of use to us for ourselves.

Ridiculing them as if we were necessarily much better may be a sign we aren't ready to understand humanity. The category of "the insane" is in part a form of dismissal of weird and indirect behavior that is itself natural and subject to being understood in one way or another. Is it possible to respect the mentally disabled and unbalanced, or other people much unlike us, or treat them sensibly or reasonably, when we're always categorizing crazy shit in a derisive way?

Although, keep in mind I didn't suggest people should necessarily stop ridiculing it. Because of my interest in the mind, behavior and human nature, I mainly pointed out that the act of ridiculing it comes from being "moved" by the silly ideas. Making fun of things makes them harmless or inoculates them. Assuming we are especially entitled to make fun of them doesn't change that, and you can still make fun of such things while being aware of what I'm saying. I was more interested in adding something people weren't addressing, although 188DarkRevived did a bit with some humor by pointing out the irony of ridiculing the prediction but noting it may more or less come true later somehow.

printz said:

Man made? What about cosmic? What about Earth losing its magnetic poles?

There'll be a lot more cancers for a while, then the magnetic fields will restabilize. Happened several times in the past, wasn't end of the world.

Posting an image not strictly adhering to Doomworld's image posting guidelines ... PENDING

Looper said:

Doesn't work against telefrag AFAIK :-D We are doomed!

Quick, set health to 99999 with dehacked. The fate of humanity depends on it.

Nevan said:

I'll be expecting London riots to happen again on the 21st.

I'm getting the hell out of London on 21st, then. (That's actually true.)

Protective Pentagrams work against telefragging, unless the telefragger has one too, which would result both getting gibbed.

I was thinking I'd stay inside that day, just in case there were any stupid people going nuts that day.

The world ends for everyone one day, but not for everyone at the same day by magical invisible robotic ponies.

PS: Topic needs poll with "yes / no / impse".

LkMax said:

The world ends for everyone one day, but not for everyone at the same day by magical invisible robotic ponies.

PS: Topic needs poll with "yes / no / impse".

"21st December, do you believe in the Apocalimpse?"

printz said:

What about Earth losing its magnetic poles?

That happens regularly (althjough by our standards, it's far between the instances). I don't recall the time frame, but every now and then earth shifts it's magnetic field, and in between that shift, the magnetic field is lost having a lot of fun stuff happen as a result. Mostly regarding the ozone layer iirc. Where it will fall apart and cause lots of UV radiation to leak through.

Anyway. I don't recall that stuff very well, and I didn't bother to look it up to refresh my memory either.

EDIT: Here we go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal

What if everyone stopped thinking at the exact same moment, and kept not-thinking for a while?

Jimi said:

What if everyone stopped thinking at the exact same moment, and kept not-thinking for a while?

This generally happens during the Olympic Games and election seasons.

Gez said:

There'll be a lot more cancers for a while,

Yeah, well, that's still bad and scary.

kristus said:

That happens regularly (althjough by our standards, it's far between the instances). I don't recall the time frame, but every now and then earth shifts it's magnetic field, and in between that shift, the magnetic field is lost having a lot of fun stuff happen as a result. Mostly regarding the ozone layer iirc. Where it will fall apart and cause lots of UV radiation to leak through.

The hilarious bit is that, while this is a real phenomenon, the nutcases all seem to believe in a physical pole reversal. As in, the Earth is going to flip upside down somehow.

printz said:

Yeah, well, that's still bad and scary.

It's not a sudden process, though, we'd adapt. There's no hard evidence linking pole shifts to mass extinctions, and most of the cosmic radiation would still be stopped by the atmosphere.

It is a load of rubbish;
still it's a good excuse to get absolutely slaughtered, I wonder how many "end of the world" parties have been organised :P

The good thing about a circular calendar is that once you make it once and finish it you never have to work on it again! Well, why didn't we think of that? But now we got computers to make calendars to 9999 for us anyway.

December 9999      
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa  
          1  2  3  4  
 5  6  7  8  9 10 11  
12 13 14 15 16 17 18  
19 20 21 22 23 24 25  
26 27 28 29 30 31
Doomsday is on a Friday (on my day off too!). And my birthday is on a tuesday.

I'm not a believer but don't like wasting money either, so I'm waiting for the weekend before finalizing my Christmas shopping list.

Dragonsbrethren said:

most of the cosmic radiation would still be stopped by the atmosphere.

Solar flares are another matter, without a functioning magnetosphere they'll wreak havoc on electrical and electronic equipment.