Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
djvero

Gate Door?

How can you create a 'gate door' in Doom Builder 2? For example, in Map25 from Alien Vendetta there is such a door. So what I mean is a door which you can look through, but can't pass (because of a gate for example) unless you open it.

Here's a picture of what I mean (from AV):

I've tried recreating it, but I fail

If you are aiming for a source port that has BOOM's transfer heights special, you can make the door a normal sector and then make it invisible with the transfer heights feature. That gets rid of the HOM.

I don't know exactly what you mean with source port, but if it is what I think it is I'm using Zdoom (Doom in Doom format). But it's barely visible, so I'm just gonna leave it at that.

To get rid of the HOM with self-referencing sectors, instead on using something like that:

|         |
|---------|
|---------|
|         |
use something like that:
|         |
|/-------\|
|\-------/|
|         |
(| is 1-sided line at the side of the gate).
No walls neighbouring with s-r sector = no HOM.

With your chosen source port, you could also have used 3D middle textures attached to a dummy sector. Have that dummy sector work as a door, and the middle texture will move up and down accordingly, allowing to pass above or below it freely but not through it.

Gez said:

With your chosen source port, you could also have used 3D middle textures attached to a dummy sector. Have that dummy sector work as a door, and the middle texture will move up and down accordingly, allowing to pass above or below it freely but not through it.

He said he used Doom format though, don't you need Doom in Hexen format to use dummy sectors and such?

Not at all. You could make dummy sectors with the Wolf3D map format. It's just a sector like any others, which simply does not need to be connected to the playable area.

Eternity is still only compatible with the Doom map format, not Hexen format or UDMF, and it has attached 3D midtex doors and elevators. Try De Kerker and Ogro Power Facility.