Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrewj

More Eureka : version 0.84 is out

I've just released another version of Eureka, the DOOM map editor for Linux (etc). The 0.84 release is dedicated to Dragonsbrethren, whose very useful feedback sparked many of the improvements therein.

Download it here: http://eureka-editor.sourceforge.net/

Main changes since 0.81 :

• multi-select : LMB toggles each object (no need for CTRL key)
  • more intuitive usage of the Texture browser
  • implemented a -merge option for resource wads
  • reload the wad/map after building the nodes (no longer exit)
  • plain MMB now inserts an object (like SPACE or INSERT key)
  • thing panel has radial arrow buttons for setting the angle
  • allow running locally (without a 'make install')

Very nice. I only played around with it for a few minutes, but the usability already seems massively improved over the last version. (Just wish I wasn't drawing a complete blank on map ideas or I'd actually make and release something with this.)

Hi Andrewj, thanks for putting work into the old yadex tree!

I have managed to build and have a working eureka editor on openbsd-current. I am in the process of turning it into a port (like whats on openports.se), i'll post any patches i can if necessary :) cheers!

Hey ryan, cool to see somebody get Eureka working on a BSD system, I'll be happy to accept patches to workaround any OS issues.

Andrew, I have no idea what he means by the selection problem. I'm not a linux guy. The example wad works in prBoom+.

Quote from Tcherobog with sample wad:

Quite nifty. Especially like the built-in nodes builder. Main annoyance is the fact that I keep selecting multiple objects at once and then end up messing with the arrangement of a good chunk of my room. I do not know if that is just me or Eureka causing the problems there though.

http://icculus.org/~hamish/garden.wad

This took about an hour and a half to build and test this using Eureka. It is quite difficult as you have absolutely no cover, so you have to be fast on your feet and make sure you do not get stuck on trees. I have yet to win it past the second skill level.

Have downloaded and will try it out. I am a yadexx user, and I keep modifying it to cope with DoomLegacy special linedefs.

If this is related to yadexx, then some of the patches I submitted to the email list might be applicable. They never got onto their sites, that I know of.

@zZaRDoZz: I guess he is referring to the multi-select feature, which can take some getting used to. The good news is that multi-select can be disabled in the up-coming 0.88 release (the bad news is that there is no preference dialog yet).

@wesley: if you want to send me your Legacy configuration for Yadex, I'll happily incorporate that. See the file ports/boom.ugh for an example of a source port configuration file (the format is very similar to what Yadex uses).

Will do. Is there some method to handle special linedef parameters
in the side1 upper_texture, mid_texture, and lower_texture names ??

DoomLegacy transparent water will put in the upper texture name:
#aaaF : where aaa is decimal (0..255) transparency, and F is a letter code that selects the fog effect ('A'..'G').
I patched yadexx to allow switching to a raw string input for such special linedefs.
All such parameter strings start with '#'.

I still have to fight with fltk as it will not compile on Linux 2.4.
My Linux 2.6 is screwed up by KDE audit problems, it even affects xfce4 at times, so I keep using 2.4.

Eureka allows you to enter arbitrary strings in the upper, middle or lower textures of a sidedef, though they are forced to be uppercase. The water parameter you describe should work fine (I did a quick test just now, saved and loaded OK).

I'm guessing your Linux 2.4 box is pretty old (nearly as old as DOOM, hehe) -- it may indeed be a challenge to build FLTK 1.3 on it. And I doubt FLTK 1.1 would work, I probably rely on some 1.3 features.