Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. T

The Hobbit

Anyone seen this?

I went to watch it at the local IMAX 3D in 48FPS. I enjoyed myself. Lol! I'm pretty sure that was Peter Jackson who discovered the jewel at the beginning.

There are a LOT of movies I need to catch up on. Only Lord of the Rings thing I watched was with my father and his black friend as a little twerp.

I've heard that there's a scene where it shows Bilbo (I think thats his name) packing for like 50 minutes?

I just saw the movie the other day. I thought it was good. They added a bit that was not in the book and changed some minor things that were different from the book. I wish they would have used less CGI for the goblins and orcs. I like the way they did the goblins and orcs in The Lord of the Rings more. I am reading the book again and coincidentally the movie ended at the chapter I am currently at.

I think that peter jackson needs an editor and dwarves are intrinsically unfunny. Also, why do hobbit pubes stretch all the way down to their ankles and if I want to fuck bilbo does that make me a pedophile?

Saw The Hobbit (3D HFR) yesterday. I liked that it isn't so hasty with the plot. It was my first experience with 3D movies, and I think it was really cool. Although in some action scenes, my eyes had some difficulties to keep up with the combination of fast flickering camera and fast objects. It sure is one of the movies you have to see.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Critics are apparently having fun shredding up the film (65% on RT). Don't listen to them, not that we should base what movies on what the critics say anyway. The movie's pace is slow, but works for what Jackson is trying to achieve. I loved it and pretty much the only beef with the film is the CG overload but it isn't on a George Lucas level so it's manageable.

I know next to nothing about the 48 FPS debate going around. I watched it and it looked normal so it must have been the 24 FPS version. Don't know what the fuss is about, I guess I will see when I see it in 3D or if I get the 48 FPS version.

Overall I recommend it, doubly so if you are a fan of the book and/or LOTR.

Looper said:

It was my first experience with 3D movies, and I think it was really cool.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. But I can't resist going off on a little rant about this:-

Of course, any serious film critic will tell you that the cinema is where films are intended to be seen and therefore the ideal place to watch them (straight-to-DVD releases notwithstanding), not only for the technical liberations but because the audience that you're amongst is part of the film-watching experience. But this 3D trend in it's current incarnation is turning films into amusement park rides. The spectacle of a fantasy or sci-fi or action movie should speak for itself; what reason do directors and studios have to make the spectacle even more (supposedly) spectacular, except to double the ticket sales and make even more money? If 3D was so intrinsic to the experience, why did it ever go out of fashion in the first place, only to be brought back decades later when James Cameron et al suspiciously decided it might be cool?

Finally, and irrespective of the genre, if you can't watch the same film on your 20" screen at home with no surround sound or 3D glasses and enjoy it just as much, you're not watching a good film. If I'm looking for recommendations I always pay little attention to people's opinions when they've just walked out of the cinema and they're full of adrenaline.

....Oh right, The Hobbit. Haven't seen it yet. Heard it's good.

I saw it last night, in 48fps 3D.

I don't know if there was some problem with the projection equipment but there seemed to be some really weird visual effects during fast moving scenes. It made people and objects look like they were moving at the wrong speed. Almost seemed like the projector wasn't running smoothly. My theory is that either the projector was broken or there's some kind of odd visual or cognitive interaction between the 3D effect and the higher frame rate. Did anyone else experience a similar effect? (EDIT: Sounds like Looper had the same issues I had. I almost wished I had watched it in 2D instead.)

As for the actual film, it was okay. These new films are always going to be in the shadow of the LOTR films, which are a really tough act to follow. I don't think this was anywhere near as good as those were, and I suspect people who haven't seen those films (if there are any?) probably won't appreciate it.

Having read the books there was a lot of obvious padding. The Radagast part was one example, and the one-armed Orc King was another. It seemed like they dialed up the action in the film to 11, which was a bit of a shame because the book is a lot more relaxed than that. All of these are things that have obviously been done to try to make it a better film, so I don't want to be too harsh - what works in a book doesn't always work on screen.

The film ends about half way through the story, so presumably the next film will be the second part. But apparently there's also a third film in the works, and I'm a bit curious as to what exactly it's going to contain. The Wikipedia article says that it will be based on the appendices at the end of Return of the King, but I don't really understand how they're going to make that into a movie.

The original lord of the rings movies were homosexual undertone laced boredom. This video is more about underlining the essence of what the movies already are rather than a parody:

The only thing that would make them slightly watchable is a mystery science theater 3000 overlay. Its a mainstream movie so naturally they don't do anything right. The whole thing should have been edited down to about 1/50th the length where anything that doesn't trigger interest/surprise to short attention spans is deemed boring and removed, like "the whore church vol 1" on youtube. Now that's a movie!

Saw it. Liked it. If you liked LotR you'll like this as, essentially, it's more of the same (not a bad thing). Critics not liking it? Screw them. I liked it and it will be a success with or without them.

It does take Bilbo a long time to get off his arse and say "yup, I'm up for the trip" but he fannied around like that in the book too. Both in the film and the book I just wanted him to "man up" and go. I mean, we all know that he is going to go - otherwise it wouldn't be much of a story - so get the objections and "humming and heying" about it over already!

I saw it last week (opening day, I think) and I was a little cautious about watching it as it was turned into a trilogy, but I really liked it a lot. I thought the scenes that were added in were done well and that the film flowed smoothly. I have plans to go watch it again at some point in theaters.

fraggle said:

The film ends about half way through the story, so presumably the next film will be the second part. But apparently there's also a third film in the works, and I'm a bit curious as to what exactly it's going to contain. The Wikipedia article says that it will be based on the appendices at the end of Return of the King, but I don't really understand how they're going to make that into a movie.

The third film will probably be about Gandalf and the Elves driving Sauron from Dol Guldur.

darknation said:

I think that peter jackson needs an editor and dwarves are intrinsically unfunny.

One of my biggest issues with Jackson's blockbusters is his editing. LotR and King Kong, especially, are long to the point of being obnoxious.

Technician said:

One of my biggest issues with Jackson's blockbusters is his editing. LotR and King Kong, especially, are long to the point of being obnoxious.

LotR's running time I never objected to. Even in the extended cuts there's plenty of stuff unfolding on the screen to keep me entertained. Compared to the books they're pretty terse, at any rate, and in my humble opinion they tell a better story.

King Kong was a mess, though. You could cut an hour's worth of footage out of it and you'd have a better movie. Not that a story about a behemoth ape being captured and running amok in New York is in any way original, but the flabby side story wasn't instrumental in creating the "epic" that Jackson intended.

Saw it today. I will need to see it 2-3 more times to analyze it in more detail, but overall it was great. With flaws, certainly, but at least as good as the LOTR movies (which have far more problems than many seem to acknowledge).

HFR is amazing. Sure, it exposes problems with the production and acting, but that's no different from improvements in spatial resolution.

About the length, if anything, I found it rushing a bit too much. I would have liked 30-60 more minutes of character and atmosphere building to ground the action sequences. The extended version should be good.

Krispy said:

It was OK. Not entirely true to the book, but whatever.

To be fair, I think that deviation from the books (or rather, inclusion of other material) has been part of the plan for these movies right from the start. No movie is true to the book anyway. The two types of media are very different and being true to the book would not necessarily make a good movie.

I watched this today!!!!
It was quite better than I expected, actually. Despite the fact that the ending was a cliffhanger and the dwarves didn't yet make it all the way to their intended destination.
I guess a second movie wouldn't hurt. But if they stretch it out to more than two movies, that would really be pushing it.

My favourite scene in the whole movie was the one where that funny forest-dwelling wizard kept riding around in circles on a sled pulled by rabbits, distracting the pack of orcs from attacking the dwarves...
Eventually, that funny wizard had disappeared just as suddenly as he had appeared. And for the rest of the movie I was left asking: "Where's the funky dude with the rabbits? Where did he go? Will I ever see him again?"

I hope I see him again in the sequel. That dude made my day. LOL

darknation said:

I think that peter jackson needs an editor and dwarves are intrinsically unfunny. Also, why do hobbit pubes stretch all the way down to their ankles and if I want to fuck bilbo does that make me a pedophile?

Ugly middle-aged fat guys who are three and a half feet tall are still ugly middle-aged fat guys.

I saw this in the theater yesterday. God damn it is a fucking long-ass movie. The book itself (unlike its sequel) was a rather concise, tightly-structured novel so it's really annoying to see it puffed up like this. There seems to be way more emphasis on Radagast, the Council of the Wise, Dol Guldur, etc. than I remember (and the bird shit on Radagast's head is really a bit much).

Thorin Oakenshield looks dumb, he doesn't even resemble a dwarf.

The action scenes were way too hard to follow with the constant cuts and blurry visuals. Remember the days when in action scenes you could actually see what was going on?

The CGI was way more obvious than in The Lord of the Rings. Azog in particular looks ridiculous. The colors seem to have been manipulated to do that stupid orange/blue contrast thing that everybody does these days.

Overall, I think the movie is pretty good but it will never be a great movie like the LOTR trilogy was.

Yeah, I saw it last night and I liked it. I've read the book more than once and felt any differences were mainly good for the film. (And I still hold these stories play off better on Jackson's screen than on Tolkien's pen, however creative he may have been.) I learned with the LOTR films that it's better not to read the books before seeing the movies, anyway, because the comparisons are like a technical distraction, rather than an enhancement.

I've only watched two 3D movies and curiously at about half-way through I kind of forgot it was 3D (glasses notwithstanding). But I think this is actually a good thing, showing the 3D effects and other aspects of the movie where done well enough to just improve the view and feel of the film, instead of standing out as constructs. In the other 3D movie I had watched, Hugo, that didn't happen, as I had noticed too many instances where the 3D planes were too obvious.

Woolie Wool said:

The CGI was way more obvious than in The Lord of the Rings. Azog in particular looks ridiculous. The colors seem to have been manipulated to do that stupid orange/blue contrast thing that everybody does these days.

The original LOTR trilogy is probably the first time I remember seeing a lot of digital color grading...

I loved it approximately six times more than the LOTR movies, although my date wasn't too impressed. I've got real high hopes for this series.

Mr. T said:

The original LOTR trilogy is probably the first time I remember seeing a lot of digital color grading...

O Brother, Where Art Thou came out before that, didn't it?

some of the silliness was a bit cringeworthy (trolls, troll king), and the rampant cgi was kinda weird looking (mostly that pale orc, forget his name). but overall solid film. After leaving I kinda wanted to make a Doom map like the goblin town :D