Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

December 21st - Doomsday

December 21st: Doomsday - By a bad author

No-one believed in the Apocalypse, we all laughed it off as some made-up piffle. Which is why we were all so unprepared when it came. Huge gateways opened up in every major population centre across the globe.

And then they came...

The demons slaughtered millions, and sure, the world's armies did a good job slowing them down, but it wasn't enough. Because no matter how tough the tanks are, an Imp will open the hatch and crawl inside. No matter how fast the fighter jets are, the Pain Elementals and their minions will always catch you.

I was the only human left within two hundred miles. There were talks of a resistance going, a cult of people who had encountered these beings deep underground, that only the governments knew of... These people were known as the Doomers.
I just happened to have a shotgun locked away in the cupboard. If I could find the Doomers, I knew I would be safe, and could help them fight this evil, and eradicate them from this world.
I loaded the shotgun, and walked outside. I heard a faint growling, and I saw 4 bright lights rushing towards me.

As they grew closer, I saw that it was a creature, running on all-fives, it had two heads. In a panic, I loaded two shells into the shotgun, and fired one into each head. The creature collapsed and died.

Before I could load the shotgun again, some screeching came from behind me, and I was knocked to the floor, my throat was slit and I was dead.

BUT HOW ARE YOU WRITING THIS THEN???

Well, that's not the end of the story. A lost soul came, and absorbed itself into my body.

And then I was a zombie.

The End.

It definitely might've been something good. Well, that's a 95% of a quite well-written stuff, its throat slit by a bloodthirsty and merciless demon Mehscrewthatinolongerfeellikewriting. But I don't say you should continue against yourself either.

Eris Falling said:

The demons slaughtered millions, and sure, the world's armies did a good job slowing them down, but it wasn't enough. Because no matter how tough the tanks are, an Imp will open the hatch and crawl inside. No matter how fast the fighter jets are, the Pain Elementals and their minions will always catch you.

This raises an interesting point: how the fuck DID the demons overpower the world's collective armed forces?

None of the monsters in Doom II are any match for the military hardware we have (and conceivably still have in the future), even considering the manpower losses. There must be some undisclosed weapon on Hell's side that is capable of taking down fighter jets and warships and nuclear submarines. Either that or the demons figured out how to operate them.

DoomUK said:

This raises an interesting point: how the fuck DID the demons overpower the world's collective armed forces?

The events in Doom 3 give a credible answer: they can teleport nearly anywhere they want straight from Hell (within limits), even "through the walls", or, in any case, close enough to bypass any mid and long range defenses. It's pointless setting up a huge system of trenches or an anti-missile shield waiting for them to come through a frontal attack (though that's how they would behave in a Doom map), nor is there a "demon country" to bomb with a preemptive strike.

It's also no use having the best hardware if they can simply teleport a squad of pinkies and imps right in the mid of each of your soldiers' barracks, your airports, or onboard your ships, or even down into the ground, inside your missile silos (which you would aim where, anyhow?). Using your own troops against you as zombies is also a devastating tactic, plus they have nealy unlimited supplies of "soldiers", and nearly all monsters except zombies are devastatingly superior to any human in physical strength and endurance.

In modern tactical parlance, hellspawn would be the ultimate in "asymmetrical warfare" and "terrorist tactics", if you wish. Imagine fighting an entire army made up of fearless special forces units, all striking at the same time, without warning, and already planted WITHIN your own lines. I doubt many armies could handle something like that.

I thought even zombies were tougher than most humans. Using Doom 3 as a base (since it's probably more realistic damage wise)... I would guess that humans have somewhere between 20 and 25hp.
Let's face it, Doomguy can take a suspiciously high amount of damage, and still be standing.

As an average of my previous figures, I'll use 22.5hp to represent the average human, and see how basic civilisation would survive in the event of demon attacks. This is assuming the values given on the Doom Wiki are the only possible values.

Monster Attack - Damage - Hits to kill person

Imp claw - 8 - 3
Imp leap - 8 - 3
Imp fire (no splash) - 12 - 2
Imp fire (full splash) - 17 - 2

Maggot claws - 6 - 4
Maggot leap - 16 - 2

Wraith claw - 8 - 3

Tick bite (min) - 5 - 5
Tick bite (max) - 10 - 3

Trite bite (min) - 8 - 3
Trite bite (max) - 12 - 2

Lost Soul, either attack - 12 - 2

Cherub claw - 5 - 5
Cherub leap - 12 - 2

Demon NomNom - 10 - 3

Revenant claw - 16 - 2
Revenant missile with max splash - 20 - 2 // 2 rockets? slightly flawed perhaps?

Cacodemon bite - 20 - 2
Cacodemon fireball with max splash - 17 - 2

Arch-Vile Claw - 12 - 2
Arch-Vile fire - 20 - 2

Mancubus blast with max splash - 40 - 1
Mancubus pummel  - 40 - 1

Hell Knight claw - 25 - 1
Hell Knight bite - 30 - 1
Hell Knight fire with max splash - 75 - 1
So with none of those numbers going over 5, I think the demons could take on civilians easy just by a frontal attack. The military would be harder to deal with, but towards the bottom of the code field. I think just 4 hell knights would be able to take down an entire base alone.

Oh, and this excluding RoE and bosses.