Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craigs

WarZ: Scam of the Year

If you don't know what WarZ is, it's essentially a blatant rip off of DayZ that you have to pay for, has a cash shop, and is even more buggy.

Anyway, they recently came under fire for lying about the game's features on the Steam store page. They recently went back and changed things around a bit to say that they are "upcoming features"
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-war-z/1226980p1.html

tl;dr edition: It's not our fault we lied about the game's features

Prepare to die of laughter.

Craigs said:

tl;dr edition: It's not our fault we lied about the game's features

After reading most of the interview, it seems more along the lines of 'well, it depends on how you would define x, would you define it as A)x, orrrrrr would you define it as B)something like x/it may be x/may be something in the range of x/but it's not necessarily x? I mean, of COURSE it would be B, right? RIGHT?'

Sounds more like GameSpy has decided to pick on the game at any cost, and point "flaws" even if it has to bend or stretch the meaning of claims.

Sergey Titov Over 100 sq km' falls in '100 to 400' right?

Gamespy: "ZOMG WTF".

What next?

Sergey Titov The Blue Whale is the largest living mammal and marine animal

Gamespy: Well...it's not THAT big...

They even copy-pasted EULA from LoL without changing anything, even the link to the LoL's website. Lazy fucks.

re Caffeine Freak & Maes: No.

Regardless of what WarZ is or isn't, it had blatant false advertising on its Steam page (which has now been changed). Among other things it promised the following, of which none are currently in the game:
-Private servers
-Skills for your characters
-Multiple maps of 100-400 sq km in size. The game has only one map which is said to be in 75-100 sq km range.

There's other stuff too, but I can't be bothered to find all of the crap.

Also, the screenshots of the game shown in the Steam page look nothing like the game itself. This is what they show. This is what it really looks like on max settings.

The evidence for this being a slipshod, rushed POS has been out for a while. I don't feel sorry for people that don't do their homework on games and then buy crap like this.

Jodwin said:

Also, the screenshots of the game shown in the Steam page look nothing like the game itself. This is what they show. This is what it really looks like on max settings.

So, no third-person butt-level view? I can understand the rage for this one ;-) Gamer's Manifesto Point 2, I think we have a new champion ;-)

Coopersville said:

It's off Steam now I think.

Then that pic of Zombie-butt girl will live on as a testament of what it could have been (yet another Fallout 3 lookalike?), and will certainly inspire some Rule 34 artwork...so not everything is lost ;-) I'm sure the modeler of that scene has a lucrative career in front of him.

Coopersville said:

It's off Steam now I think.

Yep, also Steam's apparently giving out refunds like candy.

Props to Valve for their response.

I hope the DayZ launch goes better than this. But if not, I always have the mod which has already made money hand over fist. And I've already put over 700 hours into it this year.

DayZ is pretty much my GOTY hands down.

Maes said:

Then that pic of Zombie-butt girl will live on as a testament of what it could have been (yet another Fallout 3 lookalike?), and will certainly inspire some Rule 34 artwork...so not everything is lost ;-) I'm sure the modeler of that scene has a lucrative career in front of him.

lol

Ohhhh yoou.

I just managed to catch this story about two hours ago, technically this was a recipe of a Ponzi Scheme.. Even though i've never heard of this game until today.

The devs deserve to go out of business for lying, releasing a buggy unfinished piece of shit and being scummy fucks in general...

One more thing, this.. Sergey fella. He seems to have turned into the Uwe Boll of the video game industry.

that's all I have to say I guess even though it wasn't too constructive, hopefully this one added a chuckle.

I feel bad for the customers.

Shaikoten said:

Props to Valve for their response.

Barely. At this point they didn't really have any choice. What they really should have done is actually validating the game itself before releasing it on Steam. Valve is kind of notorious for not letting some relatively quality games on Steam while allowing some absolute garbage. Especially if the said garbage is being published by companies that already have other titles on Steam.

Jodwin said:

Barely. At this point they didn't really have any choice. What they really should have done is actually validating the game itself before releasing it on Steam. Valve is kind of notorious for not letting some relatively quality games on Steam while allowing some absolute garbage. Especially if the said garbage is being published by companies that already have other titles on Steam.

Plenty of companies have a choice and choose to dick their customers over. Valve chooses not to, as much as humanly possible I think. I don't disagree that their whole greenlighting process is flawed, but it's a work in progress still. The amount of employees they have versus how many games they release on the platform is pretty low, to keep overhead down. So a game like War Z gets on because it has a big hype train riding off of DayZ's coattails. DayZ was not (and is not) highly polished, but it never once promised to be. War Z probably wouldn't be in the hot water it's in now if they didn't falsely advertise all they did, and could probably still get released. I guarantee there are more blatantly terrible games sold on Steam. The problem was the text and screenshots attached to the game, rather than the quality of the game itself (which is still bad but probably releasable) and that's a problem with the copy checking system, not the greenlighting system.

tl;dr: The problem isn't with greenlight, it's in the marketing department.

Shaikoten said:

Plenty of companies have a choice and choose to dick their customers over. Valve chooses not to, as much as humanly possible I think. I don't disagree that their whole greenlighting process is flawed, but it's a work in progress still. The amount of employees they have versus how many games they release on the platform is pretty low, to keep overhead down. So a game like War Z gets on because it has a big hype train riding off of DayZ's coattails. DayZ was not (and is not) highly polished, but it never once promised to be. War Z probably wouldn't be in the hot water it's in now if they didn't falsely advertise all they did, and could probably still get released. I guarantee there are more blatantly terrible games sold on Steam. The problem was the text and screenshots attached to the game, rather than the quality of the game itself (which is still bad but probably releasable) and that's a problem with the copy checking system, not the greenlighting system.

tl;dr: The problem isn't with greenlight, it's in the marketing department.

I didn't know I was talking about Greenlight! Thanks for letting me know!

Speaking of Greenlight though, that's pretty much a scam in itself. Steam obviously doesn't have any quality control over the games they let through, but for some reason indie devs need to pay 100$ to be allowed into this run of the gauntlet popularity contest in the hopes of possibly getting let on to Steam.

vinnie245 said:

The devs deserve to go out of business for lying, releasing a buggy unfinished piece of shit and being scummy fucks in general...

SEGA seems to be doing OK.

kristus said:

Speaking of Greenlight though, that's pretty much a scam in itself. Steam obviously doesn't have any quality control over the games they let through, but for some reason indie devs need to pay 100$ to be allowed into this run of the gauntlet popularity contest in the hopes of possibly getting let on to Steam.

Well, the 100$ cost is to prevent fake games being entered, or games being entered by someone else than the developers. Even for an indie development 100$ isn't that much of money, you're likely going to spend much more than that just on making the game, either directly or indirectly (coding instead of working a day job, etc).

However, it seems that there are quite a few games being entered on Greenlight that most probably would have got into Steam even without it. For example, Giana Sisters, which is a fantastic game, was added to Greenlight even though a game of its quality would have definitely got on Steam even through normal means.

Jodwin said:

re Caffeine Freak & Maes: No.

Regardless of what WarZ is or isn't, it had blatant false advertising on its Steam page (which has now been changed). Among other things it promised the following, of which none are currently in the game:
-Private servers
-Skills for your characters
-Multiple maps of 100-400 sq km in size. The game has only one map which is said to be in 75-100 sq km range.

There's other stuff too, but I can't be bothered to find all of the crap.

Um yeah, I was agreeing with the premise of it being false advertising. Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

Craigs said:

So apparently swearing isn't allowed on the forums.
Incidentally

oh shit he said faggot everyone get your offensive hats on.

Anyways, sin't the same guy from Big Rigs? Or was that just a joking rumor? I don't normally look at the credits for games unless it has some neat music.

Yes, he is the Producer/Programmer of Big Rigs as seen here

Sergey Titov: Producer/Programmer

Mr. Chris said:

Yes, he is the Producer/Programmer of Big Rigs as seen here

That man is a GENIUS! He knows that in the end, the "cult" and "so bad it's good" status will prevail.

It's like those bling-laden chinese-made appliances: you know full well that they are cheaply made pieces of crap, yet you can't resist buying one...and the chinese sweatshoppers know it all too well, that's why they keep pumping them out by the millions.

Craigs said:

So apparently swearing isn't allowed on the forums.
Incidentally

The War Z Producer Swears At Players

Not that how this is a big deal isn't laughable, but technically he didn't swear at them. He referred to them by a (subjectively) offensive term.

Besides, Big Rigs and it's creators have been called worse things than faggots. What goes around comes around, etc.