Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lippeth

Difference between IWADS from DOOM 95 and IWADS from Steam

I've had DOOM 95 on my dad's old computer since forever, and last year I nabbed the wad files to use with these newfangled source ports. I notice that a lot of people use the wad files they bought off of Steam, and I was wondering if the same differences apply to the wads as the exes like a higher visplane limit, or are the wad files the same? If they're different, then should I bother buying the Steam version or should I stick with 95? I do sometimes have problems with Zandronum online due to wad compatibility, so it says. I've been wondering this for a while with no help from Google. Maybe I should have posted this in WADS and MODS but it's not really project related.

Your terminology is incorrect - "Doom 95" is just the name of a source port. What you probably mean is that you had some old original Doom install CDs - some of the later releases included installers for the Doom 95 source port.

The IWADs should be identical if you're buying just the classic games (these ones). It's possible also to get the classic IWADs by buying Doom 3: BFG Edition, but these do have some changes. In general the changes are pretty minor but they're slightly inferior nonetheless.

Things such as visplane limits are strictly in the engine. You won't get a bigger visplane limit in Doom 95 by using a different IWAD.

For all questions about IWAD versions, see the Doom Wiki. If you want, you can use the IWAD Patcher to make sure you have the latest version.

fraggle said:

Your terminology is incorrect - "Doom 95" is just the name of a source port. What you probably mean is that you had some old original Doom install CDs - some of the later releases included installers for the Doom 95 source port.

The IWADs should be identical if you're buying just the classic games (these ones). It's possible also to get the classic IWADs by buying Doom 3: BFG Edition, but these do have some changes. In general the changes are pretty minor but they're slightly inferior nonetheless.

I suppose what I mean is: Are the IWADS in DOOM Collector's Edition the same as the Steam downloads? Sorry to sound silly, I know all source ports are different, but what about the IWADS themselves? I think you answered my question, so thank you, and happy holidays!

Gez said:

Things such as visplane limits are strictly in the engine. You won't get a bigger visplane limit in Doom 95 by using a different IWAD.

For all questions about IWAD versions, see the Doom Wiki. If you want, you can use the IWAD Patcher to make sure you have the latest version.

I've used the IWAD patcher and it said it was all up to date, no need to patch, but I still have compatibility issues when trying to play Zandronum online. Common sense and computer programs are sometimes over my head.

Since Zandronum is, essentially, based on ZDoom, therefore some differences are to be expected.
After all, the developer(s) of ZDoom is(are) only concerned to make the gameplay enjoyable by
eliminating many of the limitations of the original, and expanding the game engine into areas
which are suited to a mapper's imagination.

Lippeth said:

.... but I still have compatibility issues when trying to play Zandronum online.....

Have you checked the compatibility options in the OPTIONS menu?

Explain "compatibility issues"

What error are you receiving? Are you sure the server is running the latest version of doom2 (that ISNT the BFG version)?

Vulture said:

Explain "compatibility issues"

What error are you receiving? Are you sure the server is running the latest version of doom2 (that ISNT the BFG version)?

"Level authentication failed."
"Please make sure you are using the exact same wad(s) as the server, and try again."

This is after I download whatever wad is required on the server.

Tried Zandronum with some friends a while back, and for some reason the only way anyone could join the server was if we used ZDL to launch the game. No clue what difference that made, but it did.

Nomad said:

Tried Zandronum with some friends a while back, and for some reason the only way anyone could join the server was if we used ZDL to launch the game. No clue what difference that made, but it did.

Sadly, none of my friends play doom so I'll just have to stick with good ol' IDE for now. But I have to say, ZDL is the most convenient launcher I've ever seen.

Lippeth said:

I suppose what I mean is: Are the IWADS in DOOM Collector's Edition the same as the Steam downloads? Sorry to sound silly, I know all source ports are different, but what about the IWADS themselves? I think you answered my question, so thank you, and happy holidays!

Yes, exactly identical (thought I made that clear in my previous post).

fraggle said:

Yes, exactly identical (thought I made that clear in my previous post).

Just making 200% sure, and then making more sure. Sorry to waste time.