Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RTC_Marine

Programming tools used by source port developers

Subject is self-explanatory. Share what tools/compilers/ides/platforms etc you utilize for development of the source port(s) you work on.

For me:
* Odamex
* Windows 7 pro 64bit
* Codeblocks for the ide
* tdm-gcc 4.7.1 (32 and 64bit compilation)
* cppcheck for static analysis
* tcl for running tests
* drmemory (as of tonight) for a valgrind-like windows tool

For me:
* PrBoom-Plus
* Windows 7 64bit
* MSVS 2005 for the IDE
* Intel Compiler 10.x for compilation (releases)
* Integrated to IDE PVS-Studio for static analysis (once or twice)
* Intel VTune for performance analysis (sometimes)
* Far Manager for command-line, files managment, etc

I make my work on Mac OS X 10.7.5 and Windows 8 Pro (on different computers) using Xcode 4.5.2 and Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate respectively. I wish I could use 2012 Ultimate, but (with default settings) it won't build Windows XP code, and that's a killer criterion. Other than that, I've been unprofessionally relying on non-metric analysis to verify my code. I understand that even Automatic Wolfenstein will need more precise performance tests, because lots of stuff are happening during a tic, related to bot thinking. I also need a static analyzer that can test C++ code (on my Apple computer).

I've had a couple of setups, here's the one I use right now:

* Eternity Engine
* Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
* Codeblocks/VC++ 2008 Express (the VC++ debugger is muuuuch better)
* (g)vim
* grep
* ctags (though not recently)

Previously I've used Slackware, Debian, CentOS and OpenBSD, and I've cross-compiled Windows binaries on CentOS using MinGW. EE has pretty good memory tracking tools, and I've used them in conjunction with memcheck (valgrind). I suppose I could throw in Subversion or Mercurial too.

All my EE development is currently done with:

• Visual Studio 2008 Pro
  • UltraEdit-32
  • SLADE
  • upx EXE packer
  • TortoiseSVN
  • WinMerge
Things I've used in the past for EE and for other projects:
  • Visual Studio 6.0
  • Visual Studio 2005 Express
  • IDA Pro Disassembler w/Hex-Rays decompiler
  • Dev-C++
  • MinGW
  • DJGPP
  • nasm Win32 assembler
  • SlumpEd
  • Wintex
I would LIKE to be using Visual Studio 2010 so that EE can start using C++11 features. I do not feel giving up our SVN builds to be a worthwhile cost yet, though.

• Visual Studio 2008 Pro
  • IDA Pro Disassembler w/Hex-Rays decompiler
  • SLADE
  • Deepsea
  • gDEBugger
  • TortoiseSVN
  • TortoiseGit (For other projects)
  • Notepad++ (For Javascript)
  • DevkitPro (For Doom64 DS)

Quasar said:

I would LIKE to be using Visual Studio 2010 so that EE can start using C++11 features. I do not feel giving up our SVN builds to be a worthwhile cost yet, though.

Why do the DRDTeam SVN builds have to be done with Visual Studio 2008?

For 3DGE development, I use the following:

MinGW, gcc (cross-compile)
Visual Studio 2008 Express (compile, IDE, error logging, debugging)
Notepad++ (for writing and searching, I only write code in N++)
EMUS (to do specific mod stuff relevant to EDGE)
RapidSVN (for commits & changelogs)
Beyond Compare (compare between source files)
TortioseSVN (apply patches, occasional updates)

I used to use Eclipse, but the only real reason I use an IDE now is because of the debugging options. If it weren't for that, I'd be Notepad++ and MinGW only. The rest of the things on the list come from working on the Q2 Source, where I was sort of forced to learn it. I like it better that way, thankfully.

For Doomsday Engine development I regularly use:

IDEs:
* Qt Creator
* Visual Studio 2008 Express
* PHP Ed

Compilers:
* VS 2008
* gcc

Programming Tools:
* Git Bash & GUI
* ExamDiff Pro
* AQTime
* Python Env
* WiX Toolkit
* HxD (hex editor)
* Smart FTP
* PuTTY
* Doxygen
* vim

Misc Tools:
* DOSBox
* Doom Builder 2
* Photoshop
* Chrome
* Dropbox
* Google Docs

Heh, some people use a lot of different stuff. I'm not exactly a *source port* developer, but:

IDE/Compilers:
- Visual Studio 2012 IDE in windows (using the 2010 compiler since 2012 didn't have winXP support - I think it might now though)
- Codelite IDE in linux/osx
- GCC compiler in linux/osx

Source Control:
- TortoiseSVN
- VisualSVN plugin for VS

Misc:
- Notepad++
- Dropbox
- Paint Shop Pro X4

DoomLegacy

I have other tools, but this is what I have used for years now.
By having multiple consoles open, it is like having four machines.
There is no limit to what system tools I can use to search with.

I usually have JED editing with 10 files open, put in some test line (marked with DEBUG comment), then switch consoles to compile, switch to X to test, and then switch back to JED to UNDO the test code.

Linux 2.4, Slackware, running on Athlon.
- Two console terminals open, one editing, one compiling.
- X-windows open for testing.
- JED editor, with a few patches for key binding.
- GCC 3.6 compiler
- grep, diff
- code repository on SVN at SourceForge
- MAKE, with option to build DEBUG version on demand (no fullscreen)
- gdb

Wads
- Yadex wad editor with patches for DoomLegacy linedefs
- zennode
- xwadtools
- GIMP

Linux 2.6, Slackware, running on Athlon
- JED editor
- GCC 4.2 compiler

Win98
- MinGW

I fiddle about with a few things in my spare time but here's what I use almost daily:

• MSVC 2010/2012 Express
  • Sublime Text 2
  • SmartGIT
  • SmartSVN

Due to the specialized nature of my port, my toolbox is a bit different:

• Eclipse Java IDE (used on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS on occasion)
  • Sun/Oracle JVM on Windows and Mac OS, OpenJDK on Linux, JRockit for Windows/Linux on occasion. Final compilation/packaging and compatibility testing is done using Sun/Oracle tools, though.
  • Dev-Cpp for browsing C/C++ ports for -ahem- inspiration and code translation.
  • Code::blocks for the same task, when not on Windows.
  • Notepad++ for misc scripting/log file viewing.
  • Doombuilder and XWE for test maps and WAD resource debugging.
  • Hexplorer for gorier binary WAD resource debugging.
The bulk of the work is done on Eclipse, and in fact Mocha Doom is organized as an Eclipse Java project, in case you were wondering. Factor in the built-in CVS support, and it's a winning team ;-)

Maes said:

and Mac OS on occasion)

Are you talking about that old Power Mac you mentioned in a blog? If so, it's cool that you found a use for it.

printz said:

Are you talking about that old Power Mac you mentioned in a blog? If so, it's cool that you found a use for it.

I wish... I had access to a (modern) iMac for a little while, and took that chance to fix a couple of things so that it would work on Mac too (BTW, it was really easy: the windowing subsystem and audio support for Java is much better on Mac than on most Linux distros, which are instead prone to a whole host of problems like no or limited audio, windowing & mouse control problems etc.).

With a G3 Mac, at most you can use Java 5, so it would not really be usable for development or testing (Mocha uses Java 6 features).

I've worked on a few bugs for Odamex. I used gcc, vim, grep, and diff.

For my personal/school stuff, I mostly use gcc/g++, vim, and valgrind.

printz said:

Why do the DRDTeam SVN builds have to be done with Visual Studio 2008?

They aren't. I do most of the (G)Zdoom builds and I use Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition.

Why? Because that was the advised method when I set things up and it still works. Given that building (G)ZDoom is all that I use it for, I feel no need to download gigabytes of new programs and go through the headache of setting everything up again if what I am using does the job correctly already.

Enjay said:

They aren't. I do most of the (G)Zdoom builds and I use Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition.

Why? Because that was the advised method when I set things up and it still works. Given that building (G)ZDoom is all that I use it for, I feel no need to download gigabytes of new programs and go through the headache of setting everything up again if what I am using does the job correctly already.

I didn't want to write names, but I wasn't referring to you in particular, but another person :)

Heh, I didn't even realise that you were referring to a person. I thought that you were querying a technical limitation or something. :)

Enjay said:

His question was relevant to my stating we want to move up to 2010, not down to 2005.

Gez has stated he does not have 2010 and will not install it because it "requires" registration. The code it wants is the same for everyone who registers it, however, and can be found as the top result of any Google search. Microsoft "cares" so much that they've never tried to DMCA it off the web, like they routinely do with other postings of license keys (even though a simple key cannot be protected by copyright as it is a string of characters that does not contain copyrightable information - doesn't stop their DMCA troll lawyers though).

Quasar said:

His question was relevant to my stating we want to move up to 2010, not down to 2005.

Gez has stated he does not have 2010 and will not install it because it "requires" registration.

Not to mention that it's legal — he's not warezing the Express edition by downloading it from Microsoft.

I work on Odamex, and this is my toolbox:

• Windows 7 Home on my PC.
  • Mac OS X 10.8 on my laptop.
  • Sublime Text 2 as my day-to-day editor.
  • The latest MinGW (as installed from mingw-get-inst) as my compiler.
  • Visual C++ 2010 for making sure Odamex still compiles with Visual C++, and for particularly hairy debugging.
  • Apple clang 4.1 on the Mac for obvious reasons.
  • gdb for the vast majority of debugging.
  • CMake for build automation.
  • gprof and gprof2dot.py for performance profiling.
  • TortoiseGit for version control, using the git-svn bridge.
  • SLADE 3 for messing with the resource WAD.

OS X 10.8 and Debian Wheezy.

gcc, make, vim. Subversion (hopefully moving to Git in the near future). gdb when it's helpful.

Python for scripting all kinds of things.

DOSbox, sometimes with mods (used this for PC speaker/OPL reverse engineering).

IDA pro occasionally.