Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SkySplatter

Water Question.

Hello, i want to get into mapping for Doom and i'm not sure if it's a
simple question but i might as well ask it anyway. on some wad's such as "Wrath Of Cronos" and some maps on IoP, there are liquid textures that have the effect of quake with the swirly look and what not, is there a special effect i'm missing or is it a completely different texture?

different texture most likely, though I didn't check the wads you mentioned. when in doubt load up slade/xwe/etc and poke around.

Some source ports (notably: the whole ZDoom family, SMMU, and Eternity Engine) have Quake-like swirling textures as a special effect. In SMMU and Eternity, this is achieved with an ANIMATED hack, while ZDoom offers two types of warping through ANIMDEFS.

However, it is possible to achieve a marginally similar effect, as Doom allows you to add extra frames to it's texture animations by using letters as the suffix of the texture names. Check out the liquids in Back to Saturn X for example. The speed of the animation however, cannot be modified in Doom without the aid of a source port that allows it.