Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Z86

Hellbound - Updated

wow that map 14 video! I was going to wait for this project to be finished before having a go but after seeing that I'm not sure I can wait

Just finished up to Map 13 (going to save map 14 for later!).. this is just spectacular! If id had made a Doom 3 with the original Doom engine, this is what I would've wanted to see. Maps 10-13 are particularly epic. Whatever you're doing, don't stop!

Just played through the demo, bloody excellent stuff. Really love the details and the convaluted layouts. Looking forward to the next half!

Some great architecture and design, and brutal stuff so far; in fact your penchant for impromptu slaughterfests late/midway through maps tends to be a bit jarring. That aside, it's been very enjoyable. Keep it up!

Hehe, yes, mid and/or end map monster onslaught seems to be my thing. MAP16 and 17 contains quite a good example of this. So far most of those are mixed monster teleports, so you can cause some infighting.

Happy new year everyone!

Though I estimated to be finished towards the end of 2012, looks like it is not the case. Before the holidays I wanted to upload a new video but for some reason it was cut down to 4 minutes, so I stopped bothering with it.

Instead I took some new screenies from the new maps.

MAP24: City of Pandemonium (Done)

MAP25: Bastion of Void (Done)

(Continued)

MAP26: -Name Pending- (WIP)

MAP27: Crimson Abyss (WIP)

MAP28: The Black Citadel (Done)

Springy said:

Yes, looking great as per usual not long now until release I assume?

I'd guess a month or so until open beta (see progress percents on Pg1 - yes, I update those :) ), then it depends on how much bugs I left in the maps till final.

I'm also willing to alter gameplay if some maps turn out to play badly during beta, but I hope it's not the case.

I have just finished playing the 15-lvl demo, and I have to say I am quite impressed by this. Level design is top-notch, and some of the maps are literally crying for more.

My personal highlights were the early 2-3 levels with their dark urban atmosphere. A really good start into the mapset.

However, the jewels in my opinion so far are maps 12, 14 and 15. The "Power Station" is really incredibly huge and spreads the action over several floors. Excellent lighting at work here (also in general btw).
"Doom District" must be one of the best Doom II city levels I have ever played. The street view is simply amazing, and the indoor exploration of that huge UAC building belongs to the definite highlights of this demo. I also liked the bursts of enemies teleporting in on the streets which felt like true urban combat. Don't miss this one, it's a must-play!
"The Vault" deserves its name for sure. You have to unlock these huge side wings with their multiple chambers, great looking stuff.

About the custom HUD, I agree with the small white lights on top of the numbers being a bit distractive. I suggest to either remove them or at least change colors (e.g. light blue maybe).
Also, a custom soundtrack might fit really well here. Some of the tracks you provided are actually great, especially those from Duke3D, but somehow I always think of the Duke levels when listening to those songs, so it could help to have something more original. However, the general mood of the soundtrack (dark) should be preserved.

I don't doubt the other half of the WAD will be of similar quality, and I am looking forward to playing the rest. Can't get enough of these city maps btw, if only there were more... :) Already Cacoward material, I'd say.

This project pleases me. In deep and wonderful ways.

KiiYiiKiiA said:
This project pleases me. In deep and wonderful ways.

O_o

Yes, it please me also. Its my favorite project right now cause it seems to capture the spirit of Doom II Reloaded, which is one of my favorite wads of all time.

Does it have to be limit-removing? I was already in high spirits there was going to be another great brand-new megawad I could play in Chocolate Doom, and the OP sort of burst my bubble :/

Please, make it at least Chocolate Doom-compatible, that is, the savegame limit could be exceeded but please keep the wad within the other limitations. It'd be awesome.

Feniks, I don't think these maps would be capable of running within vanilla's constraints without having to make major layout changes and ripping massive amounts of architecture out of some or all of them. I don't think it's really reasonable to expect the author to do that, though the thread title is slightly misleading.

If the author had to cut down large maps like "Doom District", it'd be a shame. The level lives from its huge outdoor areas and fights. I guess sacrificing Chocolate Doom compatibility is inevitable to achieve this kind of quality.

So why is he calling it "vanilla mapmaking" if it was intended to be limit-removing at the beginning? If anything, he should've called it traditional rather than vanilla.

There seems to be lots of open areas indeed, but then again, I've only watched the videos so far...

And I don't really care if they're limit-removing or anything, I can play through them in another port or just pass them over (I just prefer ChocoDoom to any other engine). The thing is, the thread title says it's for vanilla and there is, at least for me, a hell of a difference between vanilla and limit-removing, even though Doom2+ exists.

Some pretty impressive maps here. Some good city themed levels too especially MAP14. Looking forward to the final version for sure.

NightFright said:

Some of the tracks you provided are actually great, especially those from Duke3D, but somehow I always think of the Duke levels when listening to those songs, so it could help to have something more original.

An original soundtrack, or some new original songs might be a good idea but its up to the author. I hear lots of ROTT and Duke3D songs in megawads.

Feniks said:

So why is he calling it "vanilla mapmaking" if it was intended to be limit-removing at the beginning? If anything, he should've called it traditional rather than vanilla.

It only uses vanilla actions and triggers. The thread title states "limit remover" or well limit removing which in all cases means that visplanes and segs have gone well over the limits. I don't see an issue with the title :P
Looks great this project does. Looking forward to playing it.

After reading through this thread, this has now become my second most anticipated release :D

Ive been waiting for Doom 2 reimaginings or remakes or so forth for a while now, this looks great.

Sorry I have a bad habit of calling limit remover wads vanilla. This is definitely a limit remover (almost all maps contain possible visplane limit exceedings now).

Also I updated the progress. I had a busy january and did not have the time and creativity I thought i'll have, but i'm in the finish line now. All maps are at least started, and most of them are nearly complete. Most work will probably go into MAP29 from now on.

Just tried maps 01-04. This is definetly awesome, looking forward to the real deal.

How is progress going on this? I've been looking forward to this one for a while. Keep up the fantastic work.

I'd say considering it's supposed to be his Magnum Opus, you need to give him time to polish it. :)

One thing is certain, though: I'm gonna drool over it once it's ready...