Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MarkAnthony89

How do I make my own doom 2 videos

well one option is to use video capture software like fraps, and just record your entire screen as you play. Or you could make a .lmp, and record video while playing back the demo. Apparently Prboom+ can output video directly, though I haven't tried that myself, there should be a few threads around here about it.

MarkAnthony89 said:

Hi! Does anyone know how to record doom 2 while playing?

Note - I'm not talking about ".imp" files.

Those are .lmp, not .imp

Your best bet would be some commercial screen grabbing software.

Ribbiks said:

like fraps

That's what I use and it works well for me. The unregistered version does put text on the video saying that unregistered fraps was used but I registered ages ago so that doesn't bother me.

You can also try the DOSBox recorder if you're running doom2.exe. That does wonders.

BloodyAcid said:

Your best bet would be some commercial screen grabbing software.

Do you mean the original Doom2.exe?

Well, But I succeeded in recording while playing. The format is ".lmp"

I know that it may sound crazy but is there anyway to convert .lmp files to video format?

Screen grabbing software usually lags your PC a bit and might make your movements in-game a bit awkward. This is why it's sometimes more convenient to record a demo (.lmp) of yourself playing, and use the screen grabbing software on the playback of said demo.

Mordeth said:

Screen grabbing software usually lags your PC a bit and might make your movements in-game a bit awkward. This is why it's sometimes more convenient to record a demo (.lmp) of yourself playing, and use the screen grabbing software on the playback of said demo.

For a less demanding game like Doom, I don't think most software would pose to be a demanding problem. (I get a full 60FPS with software 800x600 fullscreen on a 1920x1080 monitor, so I guess it's fine)

MarkAnthony89 said:

Well, But I succeeded in recording while playing. The format is ".lmp"

I know that it may sound crazy but is there anyway to convert .lmp files to video format?

I know that you have things sorted but, just to clear this one up, no there isn't a way to "convert" the lmp files.

The reason is that the lmp is not a video. It is a record of the key strokes and so on each tic. That's why it is so small compared with a video - there is no video-like data present, no sounds, no pictures etc. When you play the lmp back, Doom is just running the game but using the demo to provide the instructions for what to do in the game world. This also explains why demos can go out of sync if a different game engine is used or the map has been altered etc.

To "convert" an lmp, the best way is to play the demo and have fraps (etc) running while the demo is playing. That's not really a conversion as such but it achieves what you were asking about.

Enjay said:

To "convert" an lmp, a popular way is to play the demo and have fraps (etc) running while the demo is playing.

FTFY.
PrBoom-plus has a video capture system - see above.