Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aubrey Hodges

Official DOOM Playstation Soundtrack Release

Doomhuntress said:

question: the last track of the PSX Soundtrack, Club Doom, is it the work of someone else, or is it an alias of yours?

Not an alias. Danny Lewis was a coworker (level designer) at Midway and an electronic music hobbyist. I love his music so I included a track in Doom and quite a few tracks in Robotron X.

-Aubrey

Ragnor said:

Ive never heard anything from Quake 64 though, so I cant say "definite purchase"

Honestly, at the risk of sounding a little sycophantical, if you like Aubrey's other work then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't check out his Quake 64 score. I'll always have a soft spot for Trent Reznor's work on PC Quake, but it's a really tough call.

DoomUK said:

Honestly, at the risk of sounding a little sycophantical, if you like Aubrey's other work then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't check out his Quake 64 score. I'll always have a soft spot for Trent Reznor's work on PC Quake, but it's a really tough call.

you can also stream the entire album on Bandcamp when it's released, to see if it's worth a purchase or not. but the little i've heard of the Quake 64 soundtrack seems to be on par with the PSX one, so i don't think i'd be disappointed in buying it.

I practically grew up on Doom/Final Doom for the PS1, and always wanted to play Doom 64 (And now that I can on D64EX, the 360 controller doesnt work on it on W7!), but with Quake, I have never played the game to completion on any format (My computers always disagree with some aspect of it or any of its source ports, and even then theres the "must have disc in tray for audio") so it wont have the same feel to me, I have very very little Quake 1 experience. No matter how good it is it wont feel the same as the Doom ones to me, since I wont have mental images to match the music, so its not a "definite purchase"

Ragnor: DarkPlaces (and possibly others) support using ogg for the cd tracks so you don't need the disc in, just the files in the right place.

I typically lurk, but I've been refreshing this thread and his bandcamp page to see when the Quake tracks go up, the Doom PSX score will definitely be part of my Christmas requests.

Dark Places, Quakespasm, and DirectQ all support using external music. There is also a build of Fitzquake that can, but that's pretty redundant with Quakespasm (which is based on it). I think ProQuake can as well now.

For Quake 2 (since that soundtrack will also be released), KMQuake2 and Yamagi Quake 2 both support external music. So for both games, you have your flashy engines and your authentic engines to choose from.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Dark Places, Quakespasm, and DirectQ all support using external music.

Well that's good to know that there's other Quake engines for folder music support rather than just Dark Places, as much as I liked Dark Places I have gotten tired of the permanent GL mode and want to be able to play Quake in it's original software mode without sacrificing the folder music, but I don't know if the others you mention use software mode though, I should look into them.

Playing the psx doom with that soundtrack was like walking in hell. One of my favorite sountrack, with quake and silent hill :)

Avoozl said:

but I don't know if the others you mention use software mode though, I should look into them.

From what I've seen it is rare for a Quake port to use software rendering. The ones mentioned are OpenGL and D3D respectively. That said, Quakespasm is much more conservative than Dark Places in terms of effects. It's kind of a shame since the Intel GMA in my tablet can't really run anything in OpenGL at the monitor's native resolution (1400x1050), but something like ZDoom can run just fine.

How are you doing the Doom 64/Quake 64 Soundtracks? Do you still have Hi quality mix downs, since the original tracking was lost with Midway? Or are you using midi ripped right from the roms, like with Doom64 EX? If so are they going to be remixed at all?

Blzut3 said:

From what I've seen it is rare for a Quake port to use software rendering. The ones mentioned are OpenGL and D3D respectively. That said, Quakespasm is much more conservative than Dark Places in terms of effects. It's kind of a shame since the Intel GMA in my tablet can't really run anything in OpenGL at the monitor's native resolution (1400x1050), but something like ZDoom can run just fine.

You might have success with DirectQ, it's recommended over OpenGL ports for Intel's chips. (TyrQuake still has a software renderer, but doesn't support external music.)

Dragonsbrethren said:

You might have success with DirectQ, it's recommended over OpenGL ports for Intel's chips. (TyrQuake still has a software renderer, but doesn't support external music.)

I use Kubuntu so Direct3D is out of the question. :P I did try TyrQuake, but that doesn't support anything other than 320x200 from what I could tell (at least on Linux).

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I've had no luck with TyrQuake on Linux either. (I really wanted a software rendered port; I still use WinQuake on Windows. We need Chocolate Quake!)

I hope to see the other soundtracks available soon. I'm especially looking forward to having a high-quality version of the Quake 64 theme.

Had to take a little break for the holidays but I will be back on the tasks starting tomorrow! Final DOOM and DOOM 64 are currently on my plate. I am also working on bonus content for the current release. Sorry this is taking a little longer than expected but I want to ensure that the releases sound their best and are worth buying.

Regards, -Aubrey

Purchased. :)

Playstation Doom was my very first experience with Doom back in '95 and Doom 64 remains one of my favorite versions of Doom. Your music always had a distinct style to it and really worked well. Thanks Mr. Hodges. :D

Looking forward to the Final Doom and Doom 64 releases!

I was wondering what was going on with the extra content and FD/D64. "Surely he hasnt forgotten about us?"

Still dont have the spare funds to buy this yet, but I will when the post-christmas shortages and millions of limited time only sales end.

Ragnor said:

I was wondering what was going on with the extra content and FD/D64. "Surely he hasnt forgotten about us?"

Just finished the Final Doom soundtrack mastering and it has been released for sale:

http://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/final-doom-playstation-official-soundtrack

Still have some work left on Doom 64 and the bonus tracks but I hope I am ready for the Doom 64 relase next weekend and the bonus tracks the following week.

Regards,

-Aubrey

Ha, I just asked about the bonus tracks in the FD soundtrack thread, only to get my answer here before I posted. I should pay more attention :p

I cant wait to listen those bonuses :)

Btw:

"All of the ingame music was created using the Sony and Nintendo tools. Basically they allowed me to load tiny little samples into a cheesy sampler and use my sequencer to trigger the samples. Once I completed a song I saved the sample bank for use in game with the midi file. Most of the songs fit into about 170-250k of memory. Funny thing is that the bad quality gave the songs a gritty quality that made the pieces seem scary...like really underground industrial stuff. Almost all of the samples came from recordings of weird objects mic'd really close. One for instance was a bee caught in a can. I almost got stung for that song! hehe
The music you were able to rip was used only in the menu. The game was too rough on the disc to allow streaming music during the game. Which...turned out to be a good thing after all."
src: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/42939-fun-psx-doom-stuff

Maybe it will be interesting to have some pictures, just for curiosity but also for the videogames soundtracks history.
Would be nice to see which machines produced such great audio tracks :)

Aubrey Hodges said:

Yes, I plan to release Quake64, Quake2 64 and Quake Arena for Dreamcast. The last 2 were released using my alter egos Ken "Razor" Richmond and "Razor" but they are still just me...it's a long story. hehe

-Aubrey

I've been living a lie! When I was 14/15 and obsessing over the N64 Quake II, I used to pore over the credits and think, "Gee, this Razor guy sounds A LOT like Hodges!" Can't wait for all your Quake scores; despite being a fan of NIN and the score that Reznor and Vrenna did for the PC game, I think I might actually prefer yours.

I noticed a problem with a DOOM 64 track: number 17, "Chrystalline Chaos" at 3:44 (according to iTunes), there's a really faint popping sound followed by two very noticeable pops in the following two seconds. Could this error be rectified? The game rips by Elbryan42 don't have these so I can't imagine they're in the original sound files.

Abnormal Freak said:

I noticed a problem with a DOOM 64 track: number 17, "Chrystalline Chaos" at 3:44 (according to iTunes), there's a really faint popping sound followed by two very noticeable pops in the following two seconds. Could this error be rectified? The game rips by Elbryan42 don't have these so I can't imagine they're in the original sound files.

Wish I could blame the conversion process but I can't...just an oversight during mastering. It's fixed and a new version is now downloadable. If your download link to it has expired let me know. I will make that one track free for awhile if necessary so everyone can re-download it. Let me know if that is needed. And...um....oops, sorry.

-Aubrey

Mistakes happen. I'm just happy that you've responded so quickly and fixed the flub. This is great. :) Downloads are still available to me so fetching now.

Can't wait for the album you told me about in the email, Journey Into the Secret Places, "which is the sister album to the Journey into the Dark Places release. Same idea but very relaxing and beautiful. Should be ready by the Spring." I loved Dark Places and will be all over a more mellow companion piece.

"Reflections of Veldra" is really good so I'll be happy to hear more acoustic music, too.

Quake 64 and Quake II N64 coming in February. :)

Abnormal Freak said:

Can't wait for the album you told me about in the email, Journey Into the Secret Places, "which is the sister album to the Journey into the Dark Places release. Same idea but very relaxing and beautiful. Should be ready by the Spring." I loved Dark Places and will be all over a more mellow companion piece.

"Reflections of Veldra" is really good so I'll be happy to hear more acoustic music, too.

Quake 64 and Quake II N64 coming in February. :)

"Journey into the Sacred Places" is the polar opposite of the dark ambient style. While the overall feel is still very unstructured, the feeling and emotion is peaceful, warm, uplifting and at times somewhat lonely. It is certainly more traditional than some of my other work but I think there are times when you need to experience a whole new world of texture and melody without all the rules constraining the creative process. I look forward to the reaction from you guys in particular. It'll be interesting to see who can immerse themselves in such a different vibe from my work and come out with the same appreciation for another side to my artistry.

All I can say is I am pouring myself into the work and I really like where it's going.

-Aubrey