Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
45th Parrallel

Doomworld Team map making project

This the official development thread for the Idea I posted about a few weeks ago.

This community project is all about team work over the internet (of all places) you and your team mate who is randomly picked for you will hopefully will make and complete a map which slot you get is also randomized

Things you should know about the maps

Your maps must be in limit removing format and be Boom compatible (-complevel 17) (allowing you to use the transfer sky action)
    Custom textures are allowed
    The level progression will be reversed Doom 2 level progression (Hell,City,Techbase)
    The texture pack for this project will be the Community Chest 4 texture pack unless someone else has another suggestion
    Custom music is allowed (why wouldn't be)
Map Slots
Map01: purist & marysson & SteveD http://www.mediafire.com/download/scr4lkziinitcrh/dwprojectAGX.wad
Map02: Phobus & cannonball
Map03: Sgt Dopey & Obsidian
Map04: Joseph Lord & Malinku
Map05: FractalXX & The Mionic Donut
Map06: Impboy4 & dobugabumaru
Map07: SteveD & PhantomTMac
Map08: Pottus & deimosoft

Mappers
Sgt Dopey
purist
Phobus
FractalXX
Malinku
marysson
Joseph Lord
cannonball
Obsidian
SteveD
dobugabumaru
TheMionicDonut
Impboy4
PhantomTMac
Pottus
deimosoft
doomkid92

If there's anything that you would like to know or I haven't specified it please post in this thread so I can suss it out.

That's a shorter deadline than I expected, it might put people off and will almost certainly need to be extended from my experience of community projects.

That said, I'll join anyway. I will either make something small or let my mapping buddy do all the work :-)

One flaw with the project outline is that Sky Transfer specials aren't compatible with Boom itself (being an MBF feature, IIRC), but basically every Boom-compatible port does allow for it.

I like this idea enough that I want to sign up. It's a bit different and should hopefully be interesting enough to keep me going through the creation of at least one half of a map (assuming I and my partner take roughly equal parts of the map-making process, that is!)

So the really easy (ideally) stages would be set in Hell, and the really hard (ideally) stages would be techbases.

Gotta admit, that's an interesting reversal. Has any other WAD done that?

Ok I'm in for this

Joseph Lord said:

sound interesting sing me up!

Hopefully the person who I get paired with will be singing off the same hymn sheet :P

Shadow Hog said:

So the really easy (ideally) stages would be set in Hell, and the really hard (ideally) stages would be techbases.

Gotta admit, that's an interesting reversal. Has any other WAD done that?

Memento Mori 2.

I'd be happy to join up, too. I'm probably not familiar to most of you here, but my Elfkill map is up on Newstuff now, and my old maps Disraeli (Doom 2) and Elfstomp (Doom) are on idgames, along with the Realm of Chaos megawad, where I did 7 maps.

This sounds like a fun project. I've never done a collaborative map before. I'd like to try it.

Not Jabba said:

To some extent, also Vile Flesh.

Vile flesh was more tech -> hell -> Earth City
Also MM2 was sort of all over the place, there were tech levels late on in episode 1 and some hell levels in the later episodes.

cannonball said:

Also MM2 was sort of all over the place, there were tech levels late on in episode 1 and some hell levels in the later episodes.

Individual mappers stuck to the theme to greater or lesser extents, but "Hellish -> Tech base" was the intended progression.

I can probably go down with this, Though don't expect promises that i'll be posting progress everyday. I can only do so much. A texture pack I'd like to suggest dopey is the Darkening E2 set. Seriously, that pack deserves to be used more often since it has such a cool variety of techbase textures.

Impboy4 said:

I can probably go down with this, Though don't expect promises that i'll be posting progress everyday. I can only do so much. A texture pack I'd like to suggest dopey is the Darkening E2 set. Seriously, that pack deserves to be used more often since it has such a cool variety of techbase textures.

I don't expect people to post progress on their maps once a day, they should post progress at least once or twice during the duration of this project. IIRC some Darkening E2 textures are in the CC4 texture pack. Also added!

sgt dopey said:

I don't expect people to post progress on their maps once a day, they should post progress at least once or twice during the duration of this project. IIRC some Darkening E2 textures are in the CC4 texture pack. Also added!

I'm actually talking about using the whole set though. I'm not really comfortable with compilation texture packs that well. i'd usually stick with one set instead of a bunch in one.

Okay guys it's the 20th of January which means this project has officially started the map slots and who's got them will be put into the original post shortly