Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

What do you get when you mix Godzilla, Doom and OMF 2097? Pacific Rim.

Hmm interesting I'll keep an eye open for this film, also did I hear Glados saying pilots ready to connect around the 1 minute mark?

Yes, it's the same actor. And they made her sound like Glados for the trailer as a cameo sort of thing.

I'll watch it just because Guillermo Del Toro. Seems like an odd movie for him to do though, aside from the fact that he made the extradimensional monsters lookin' all Lovecraftian. Maybe if he gets enough dough from this they'll finally let him do At the Mountains of Madness.

Oblivion takes precedence over this one for me. I'm just not ready to pay to see a 2013 version of Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (even if GLaDOS is involved).

Nomad said:

I'll watch it just because Guillermo Del Toro.

Pan's Labyrinth was enchanting and enjoyable. But this is also from the guy who directed Blade 2, Mimic and the Hellboy movies. I can't see this being anything other than a very expensive but equally dumb summer blockbuster with wooden characters and CGI all over the screen.*

*Unless that's the whole appeal. In which case, don't let me ruin everyone else's fun.

When I saw the first few minutes of the trailer at Hobbit, I thought it was the teaser for Godzilla. After all that is being made by Legendary as well. I got my hopes up. Don't know if I'll see Pacific Rim in theaters but looks like a decent rental. Maybe it will inspire a Gundam movie to be made, but I won't hold my breath.

I rarely watch movies because I want to be mentally or intellectually challenged. I watch them when I want as little challenge as possible.

When I first heard about this movie, it sounded like some guy was trying to repackage Neon Genesis Evangelion for the gritty US crowd.

DoomUK said:

Pan's Labyrinth was enchanting and enjoyable. But this is also from the guy who directed Blade 2, Mimic and the Hellboy movies. I can't see this being anything other than a very expensive but equally dumb summer blockbuster with wooden characters and CGI all over the screen.*

*Unless that's the whole appeal. In which case, don't let me ruin everyone else's fun.

I haven't seen Mimic, but I've enjoyed all of his other movies--including Blade 2 and the Hellboy movies. You should watch The Orphanage if you don't think he's capable of doing a "good" movie.

Nomad said:

You should watch The Orphanage if you don't think he's capable of doing a "good" movie.

Ah, but he only produced that. Technically not a del Toro movie.

Like I said though, I enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth. It's not that I'm anti-del Toro.

The thing I'm not too sure about is that the pilots of the mechs seem to be controlling them by remote control, nice and secure in a location well away from where the mechs actually are. While that makes sense from an "if I was doing that job I'd want it that way too" perspective, it does mean that the pilots are remote from the danger of the battle. No risk to the characters = less engagement of the audience IMO. I wonder what, if anything, they will do to address this?

Well, I mean, if they lose a fight, bazillions of people get monsterbliterated, so they could very easily play up on that.

Pretty much, the stakes are high. Not because they might personally die during the fight, but because they can't respawn. Though I am sure there will be things exploding in the hangar they are fighting from so that there will be tension that way aswell.

Creaphis said:

This is now Hollywood. You might as well enjoy it.

I essentially enjoyed Prometheus and The Dark Knight Rises; two very recent movies that Hollywood has churned out. It's just that for every well-made blockbusting extravaganza that has a little more substance to it than "stuff happening on the screen", there's a dozen movies which are exactly that. Maybe Pacific Rim doesn't turn out to be what I expect, but I don't have my hopes up.

The robots need to be more...intimidating or even scary looking. I still remember when The Terminator was horrific to every extent of the word.

A machine that didnt stop, didn't sleep and will always find you. Especially when it has Arnold's face on it.. Slowly inching up those steps right behind you as hydraulics work over-time in the knees and ankles. In general it was just really fucking scary to see the T-800 in all it's chassis glory.

Robots used to be scary, now subconciously they're associated with the "Transformers" style hero of the Earth. Personally I think this really devalues the essence of machines in movies and nearly all the time it really plays down the entertainment and excitement. Almost as if there is a Comic-Book childish, outlook towards machines instead of the gritty-horror as the example mentioned above.

Plus even just in the plot alone it could add that bitter-sweet irony of being allied and in control of something that terrifies us as an audience.

But eh, that's just me and my two cents.

Whoa, was that a rocket punch? Colour me interested.

I'm not really expecting much, but even if it's totally disappointing that's still at least 10x better than the latest Transformers movies.