• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

TheMionicDonut said:

what demo do you have?

That is map03 on the version i got.

Hmmm. I know the maps in the demo are maps 01, 09, 10 and 12 and I haven't looked at the demo in forever. I just assumed, wrongly as it turned out, they would be in that order. But having just downloaded and checked the public demo, you are right, they are not in that order at all.

Also, blob1024, you are absolutely correct. I have checked the backpack secret on that map, and it is not actually gettable in the demo version. This is something that was fixed quite a while ago, but we never actually updated the demo with the fixed versions.

In fact, the 4 maps in the demo have all been revised and had quite a bit of work done on them since it was released. Soz for the messed up backpack secret, and thanks for pointing it out. :)

On another note, since evolution has so kindly offered us a server, would it be prctical to make some type of alpha with the 20 some-ought maps that are sent in, so we dont have to wait for those last five or so before anything gets done. We have a testing server, apparently, the least we can do is use it :P

Also, for the TNS occasion, I threw in a couple extra hundred monsters for you on S&S. Don't forget the highlight reel when it comes around!

Was that backpack secret the one I had trouble with? Sorry if its right there in screenshot form, but I just got back from a 5 hour drive from a New Years event :p

I was looking for MIDI's for one of my own maps from another project, and stumbled across Jimmy's collection. There I found the TNT2 folder, and Dark Omen seems to be your title track, or was at least.

Spoiler

Sounds very similar to DN3D's XPLASMA.MID to me

TheMionicDonut said:

On another note, since evolution has so kindly offered us a server, would it be prctical to make some type of alpha with the 20 some-ought maps that are sent in, so we dont have to wait for those last five or so before anything gets done. We have a testing server, apparently, the least we can do is use it :P

We could probably do that, seen as I now have 26 maps. But before I ask Evolution to start the testing server I have to go back through each map and make sure they all will work with coop.

Eris Falling said:

I was looking for MIDI's for one of my own maps from another project, and stumbled across Jimmy's collection. There I found the TNT2 folder, and Dark Omen seems to be your title track, or was at least.

Yeah that was going to be either the title track or the intermission track back in 2009. We'll probably still put it in one of those spots since it's a nice ambient piece.

Coincidentally I just grabbed all the TNT 2 MIDIs from Jimmy's blog and I only remember two or three of them.

Please dont replace ALL the music. I like a lot of TNT's unique music, its part of the TNT charm. I would like all the music to be new or old TNT tracks though. *now has Deepest Reaches' theme in head after posting this*

Just my opinion on music there.

I'll be doing a lot of playtesting today, now that my holiday's over and I have the free time. I think I have 16 or 17 of them..

Ragnor said:

Please dont replace ALL the music. I like a lot of TNT's unique music, its part of the TNT charm. I would like all the music to be new or old TNT tracks though. *now has Deepest Reaches' theme in head after posting this*

I'll be doing a lot of playtesting today, now that my holiday's over and I have the free time. I think I have 16 or 17 of them..

+1 map 06 and map16 are my favorites.

Quick question guys: will the maps from the OLD demo be included? I really liked those maps, especially the second one. I was also wondering if they were still available for download?

Ragnor said:

There's already two remixed TNT tracks in the project, and I imagine we'll be getting some more. So I don't think you have to worry too much about that aspect.

Olympus said:

Quick question guys: will the maps from the OLD demo be included? I really liked those maps, especially the second one. I was also wondering if they were still available for download?

Alter's Techbase T-5 will be included, and his hell map from the demo might be included (Kyka and I are working on an issue with a map-slot.) I can throw the original demo back up on the site once I get my FTP client setup on my new PC.

EDIT: Here are the maps from the original demo.

Whoo said:

EDIT: Here are the maps from the original demo.

The lighting in the first two maps is very weak IMO: almost every area is very bright (light level 192 or higher) and the lighting differences are barely noticeable. map03 is a lot better in this aspect. Also I'd say that the gameplay on map01 is rather silly: you get SSG to fight against mostly weak monsters: imps, zombies, demons... It's sooooo easy. And the arch-vile on the exit is pointless I think: you can easily kill him from a safe spot and he can't attack you or ressurect any monsters unless you're really careless. Map02 is cramped and confusing... Map03 is overall okay I guess but the cyberdemon "battle" is a chore... Or are you supposed to just skip him? But that is luck based I think.

The 2011 demo is a LOT better. :)

Just finished Mionic Donut's Map 24. It is...brutal, in a single word. Took me nearly all day to complete on UV. In the last room I eventually just said "fuck it" and cheated for that last room, just to get the map done. I did find some errors and things that done seem they should be that way, and I think some gameplay should be a bit more balanced. I'll send him a detailed report tonight that wont spoil everything for anyone reading this thread.

I saw the "controversial" bumpmapped textures Kyka was worried about in this level, and tbh, for most of the level I didnt even really notice them, they blend in really well.

Also, about the textures in that map...was it intentional using the "TnT" lights on the forklift? The n on it sinks into the ground making it look like a sad crying face ie T_T...which actually served to warn me about an ambush >_>

With that old demo available again, I'll have to give that a try! I missed the chance back when it was first released

Memfis said:

The lighting in the first two maps is very weak IMO: almost every area is very bright (light level 192 or higher) and the lighting differences are barely noticeable. map03 is a lot better in this aspect. Also I'd say that the gameplay on map01 is rather silly: you get SSG to fight against mostly weak monsters: imps, zombies, demons... It's sooooo easy. And the arch-vile on the exit is pointless I think: you can easily kill him from a safe spot and he can't attack you or ressurect any monsters unless you're really careless. Map02 is cramped and confusing... Map03 is overall okay I guess but the cyberdemon "battle" is a chore... Or are you supposed to just skip him? But that is luck based I think.

The 2011 demo is a LOT better. :)

Map 03 is still in the current set of maps, although it has had a fair amount of work done to it. The cyberdemon is no longer there, it was tedious to fight in that position, from the bottom of a flight of stairs with little room to manoeuvre. Plenty of other gameplay and level tweaks.

Map 01 *may* be in the current set, or at least as I understand it is still in consideration. It too has been massively reworked, with a huge arena fight added to the end and lots of gameplay changes besides. You get a single barrel shotty really near the start, instead of having to wade through lots of low tier monsters with a double barrel shotty.

Thanks for the comments, I pretty much agree with what you have said.

Ragnor said:

Just finished Mionic Donut's Map 24. It is...brutal, in a single word. Took me nearly all day to complete on UV. In the last room I eventually just said "fuck it" and cheated for that last room, just to get the map done. I did find some errors and things that done seem they should be that way, and I think some gameplay should be a bit more balanced. I'll send him a detailed report tonight that wont spoil everything for anyone reading this thread.

I saw the "controversial" bumpmapped textures Kyka was worried about in this level, and tbh, for most of the level I didnt even really notice them, they blend in really well.

Also, about the textures in that map...was it intentional using the "TnT" lights on the forklift? The n on it sinks into the ground making it look like a sad crying face ie T_T...which actually served to warn me about an ambush >_>

With that old demo available again, I'll have to give that a try! I missed the chance back when it was first released

Yeah, both of mionics maps are epic, and I really like them, but they lean pretty hard in the 'brutal' gameplay department.

Seeing as you are a tester, if you like I will send you the newest version of maps 01 and 03 of the old demo, seeing as they are both in the mix. (You will already have map 03 actually, it is map 15 in the maps I sent you. I'll send you an updated version with map 01 of the original demo included.)

And glad you didn't mind the bumpmapped textures. Provided they are used carefully and appropriately, I think they can work pretty well.

And in regards to the tnt lights on the forklift, well that is mionic waiting for me to get some wheel textures to use on the sides of the forklift instead. :)

I really enjoyed the original demo, all three were great, bugs excluded. Good to hear everything there wasn't scrapped.Map 1 was the best one, amazing hell theme with brilliant visuals. Map 2 needed a lot of work, couldn't even exit the level, but aside from that it was great.

EDIT: Map 3 was very confusing in its layout, but aside from that, only complaint from that old build was the cyberdemon (with no real appropriate weapons to fight him with) and the random level exit. Adding this last bit now due to my phone being useless and not letting me write the Map 3 part earlier

Regarding the Map02 collaboration... can you please credit me as Adrian Hanekom and not DeathevokatioN? My nick is just a stupid name I picked on the spot when I registered here. It is in Darkreavers hands and should be done soon, only a few tweaks to the gameplay are left to do if I recall correctly.

Considering making a smaller, simpler map (See: Mayhem2012 map04) for map06 if headway isn't shown on the current map06 maker. Will wait for the go-ahead for that though, since people get busy this time of year (And process did say about a month 2 weeks ago, and I dont want to jump any guns)

FEAR NOT KYKA!

I now have time to begin testing your large set of maps. Sorry if youve been waiting for feedback for a while now, there are unpleasant issues at home that stop me putting in a lot of time and concentration into any one thing, and I need that if I'm going to be looking for things that could use improvement or so forth. Just got enough time the other day to play Mionic's map, I gave that one priority due to being a single map (which took half the day to do :p)

Im playing them in GZDoom, with strict Doom compatibility (unless I should be on normal Doom compat), with Doom Expanded loaded (it doesnt change gameplay). Map 1's flesh tunnel looks really awesome with Expanded btw, give it a look :p. Did Map 1 get any edits after I tested it previously? I think the start area switch has stairs to get to it now, but maybe Ive already forgotten if it had those or not before.

TheMionicDonut said:

Considering making a smaller, simpler map (See: Mayhem2012 map04) for map06 if headway isn't shown on the current map06 maker. Will wait for the go-ahead for that though, since people get busy this time of year (And process did say about a month 2 weeks ago, and I dont want to jump any guns)

PC will get his map done. Unless something extreme happens.

Ragnor said:

FEAR NOT KYKA!

I now have time to begin testing your large set of maps. Sorry if youve been waiting for feedback for a while now, there are unpleasant issues at home that stop me putting in a lot of time and concentration into any one thing, and I need that if I'm going to be looking for things that could use improvement or so forth. Just got enough time the other day to play Mionic's map, I gave that one priority due to being a single map (which took half the day to do :p)

Im playing them in GZDoom, with strict Doom compatibility (unless I should be on normal Doom compat), with Doom Expanded loaded (it doesnt change gameplay). Map 1's flesh tunnel looks really awesome with Expanded btw, give it a look :p. Did Map 1 get any edits after I tested it previously? I think the start area switch has stairs to get to it now, but maybe Ive already forgotten if it had those or not before.

I AM NOT FEARING! :P

No seriously, thanks my man. All good on the timing thing too. I am still finishing several of the maps anyway.

And yes map 01 has had several edits, based on findings from a couple of the other testers and myself. (I think the stairs were the same though.) I'll send you a newer version of all the maps in the next day or so. It might save you a bit of work, so you don't have to find bugs that have already been found. :)

cheers and thanks for your work.

[edit] And because everything starts to go all lord of the flies if I don't post a new screenie every now and again... o_0

I did finish map 1 again, and I noticed it was a lot easier. Expanded actually makes me use the chainsaw a lot more, probably because it now ALWAYS gibs. I never really used it at all before.

Spoiler

Please re-add the old TNT logo on the room in the final room, where it did this cool trick where it faded away after you moved. Currently it just pops out of existence.. Also, please assign TNT's Last Call music track to this level in the final build, for obvious reasons

Aside from that, since I need to pistol start/idfa every map due to the ordering, I did a quick IDCLEV through. Here are some observations that may no longer be relevant

Another of the maps I played previously, you forgot to put the spawn point back at the beginning of the level, unless its now confirmed to start you behind a wall of monsters, by the exit, near a massive red key ambush :p

I see the other barbed wire textures are used on Map 11 now. Xaser will be happy. They do kind of fit in with the level more due to the rock everywhere, but the edges look odd. The bit where the tear in the wire was pretty hard to see before, one of the things I like about that refined wire (which could probably have those green bits darkened a little in places, to look more like the leaves most peaople see them as). I still cant get that backpack, the ledge seems even further away now. The archvile has indeed been uncheesed, no more foot sniping!

One of the maps had a glaring ugly spot that should be refined, there was a random bloodfall in a pool of water. If this is to be done, please make it reminiscent of Habitat, where the liquids were made to fuse together for a cool looking effect.

I had fun with your Green Map (which I had entirely forgotten about. I was skipping through a through Hell levels, then suddenly a techbase, thought "wait, a techbase this far?" then noticed EVERYTHING was green. Major "Oh." moment), although I didnt get far. Found a few secrets already too. Also, im still calling it Terminus Veridian in my head :p

Could you include a text file in future stating which maps are which, to make the level skipping less tedious?

Which E1 map is that screenshot from?

I'm sorry I'm taking so long guys, but I will have this done before I start my next semester on the 14th. So here is a lonely shot, as well as another pic of the layout. Everything is a lot more connected now, but there is some more connectivity I want to add as well as some more personal testing before I send it out. I want this map to be a lot more non-linear than my usual fare =P.

..and the current layout:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q17/Kassman_01/tntshot3_zps6d57260d.png

Well, damn. You keep this up, and you just might beat me to release! :P

...Not like that's hard, mind you. I'm slow. D:

Infernal Carrier is pretty much locked in as favourite map already.

Then again all the best maps seem to be the E2 ones. The sky makes all the difference...

kyka is still a miracle worker. really happy with what you're doing to it bud

Ragnor said:

I did finish map 1 again, and I noticed it was a lot easier. Expanded actually makes me use the chainsaw a lot more, probably because it now ALWAYS gibs. I never really used it at all before.

Spoiler

Please re-add the old TNT logo on the room in the final room, where it did this cool trick where it faded away after you moved. Currently it just pops out of existence.. Also, please assign TNT's Last Call music track to this level in the final build, for obvious reasons

The tnt logo still just fades away for me. I do like the idea of using last call on the first map too, though I think we are going for all new music.

Aside from that, since I need to pistol start/idfa every map due to the ordering, I did a quick IDCLEV through. Here are some observations that may no longer be relevant

Another of the maps I played previously, you forgot to put the spawn point back at the beginning of the level, unless its now confirmed to start you behind a wall of monsters, by the exit, near a massive red key ambush :p

Ooops. Yeah I did fix that. All the other testers got the correct start, but I sent you a version with some 'fixes'. Forgot to remove that start though.

I see the other barbed wire textures are used on Map 11 now. Xaser will be happy. They do kind of fit in with the level more due to the rock everywhere, but the edges look odd. The bit where the tear in the wire was pretty hard to see before, one of the things I like about that refined wire (which could probably have those green bits darkened a little in places, to look more like the leaves most peaople see them as). I still cant get that backpack, the ledge seems even further away now. The archvile has indeed been uncheesed, no more foot sniping!

The backpack secret should be fine. I'll send you a new version of all the maps soon anyway. On the newest it is fine anyway. :)

One of the maps had a glaring ugly spot that should be refined, there was a random bloodfall in a pool of water. If this is to be done, please make it reminiscent of Habitat, where the liquids were made to fuse together for a cool looking effect.

Ummm. You might want to be a bit more specific than just 'one of the maps...' :P

I had fun with your Green Map (which I had entirely forgotten about. I was skipping through a through Hell levels, then suddenly a techbase, thought "wait, a techbase this far?" then noticed EVERYTHING was green. Major "Oh." moment), although I didnt get far. Found a few secrets already too. Also, im still calling it Terminus Veridian in my head :p

That map is probably gonna get redone to be more in hell style. If this proves to be too difficult, (read: if I can find the time) then it might get moved. I am playing with new themes for it atm.

Could you include a text file in future stating which maps are which, to make the level skipping less tedious?

I had done this, though I apparently forgot to include it for you. Sorry about that. Next one will have that.

Which E1 map is that screenshot from?

Currently in the map 08 slot, a map by Tango, which I am doing some finishing touches to.

lupinx-Kassman said:

I'm sorry I'm taking so long guys, but I will have this done before I start my next semester on the 14th. So here is a lonely shot, as well as another pic of the layout. Everything is a lot more connected now, but there is some more connectivity I want to add as well as some more personal testing before I send it out. I want this map to be a lot more non-linear than my usual fare =P.

[image]

..and the current layout:

[image]

Looks really good. Has this chaotic hellish thing going on which is pretty effective.

Tango said:

kyka is still a miracle worker. really happy with what you're doing to it bud

Wait until you see the spaceship.

Thanks heaps my man. Just fyi, it is finished now all except for difficulty settings. So in a few days, that will be another map done. I'll send it to you when it is done.

How is that testing thing going along?

After getting some other things taken care of (See: going back to school) I am going to revisit map30. I will probably rework the puzzle and add on to the delightful south-west wing.

Kyka: Ha, yeah, map number for that bloodfall would be handy. I wasnt paying attention as I was skipping through everything. I'll get back to you on that once I have the updated set. The TNT logo just popped out of existence for me as soon as I moved, wonder if it was a bug. In the demo, the fading away bit was incredibly awesome.

The music thing, is it even fully decided yet? A mix of original TNT, TNT inspired and TNT remixes would be ideal for me. The original intermission theme, Legions of the Lost, is irreplacable to me. I assume its still in, since the new picture for the intermission is very similar :p (provided its still going to be used in the final)

Ragnor said:

...The original intermission theme, Legions of the Lost, is irreplacable to me....

I second that! ; )