Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agentbromsnor

An idea on how to make realistic doors

I'm cursed with the Doom modding virus. With that, I mean that I've become so adapted to working with the Doom engine, that sometimes when I think of things like interiors I can stop but wonder how such a thing could be created in a 2,5D envirement.

So today I thought of another thing. We all know that there's a limit to using polyobject doors, because the ceiling must always be at the same height as the door. But I thought about this: how about making a 3D floor above your door that connects to it, and put the 3D floors oppacity to 0?

Would something like that work? I'm just thinking out loud here!

You can make a polyobject out of two-sided lines, and give them a midtexture. Add the 3Dmidtex flag. And there you go.

Obsidian said:

I...guess it could work. It'd look a bit nasty if you viewed it from above though.

Thats true, but you could at least make it look good for large doors. For example, you make remake the doors in the first level of Blood, instead of the silly looking Doom door they used in ZBlood.

Gez said:

You can make a polyobject out of two-sided lines, and give them a midtexture. Add the 3Dmidtex flag. And there you go.

So you're suggesting a polyobject with 3D midtextures..?

I swear it's earlier than ZDoom 2.6, since that Doom Center map had it for the McDonald's building, and I was playing that on an earlier version of GZDoom like a year or so ago.

Nevertheless, it's a handy feature, and probably the best way to go about it.

It's been possible to use 2S lines and textures like MIDBARS on polys for a long time but Gez is describing flagging them as a 3D mid tex as well and that is newer.

You can also use portals to get the same effect. Though if you see from on top of the portal, you would get a HOM. Though to my knowledge there are no linked portals in ZDoom so it should be a non issue. But it would limit the freedom of the level designer in how you can layout the scene.

It had them flagged as 3D mid-texture, too; you could not go through that door without opening it.

I think it was using Line_SetIdentification, though, which certainly was less convenient than UDMF, where you just check a flag.

Software mode only though, apparently:

This is how those polyobject doors render in GZDoom. Weird thing is, normally the pit in the centre displays correctly. New SVN being a tit, perhaps?

Everything works fine for me in GZDoom r1500+. In older revisions, the 3D midtexes are rendered this way because since they lack the double-sided flag, they are drawn with the function used to draw one-sided lines.

Enjay said:

It's been possible to use 2S lines and textures like MIDBARS on polys for a long time.

Indeed, even Vanilla HeXen can do that.

Gez said:

Everything works fine for me in GZDoom r1500+. In older revisions, the 3D midtexes are rendered this way because since they lack the double-sided flag, they are drawn with the function used to draw one-sided lines.

Tried it with r1504 and the doors render correctly. The pit is still screwed up, though. I've posted that as a possible bug over on R667.

Shadow Hog said:

It had them flagged as 3D mid-texture, too; you could not go through that door without opening it.

It wouldn't be much use as a door if you could go through it without opening it.

You can still make blocking see through poly doors without using 3Dmidtex lines. The difference is that the line blocks for its full height rather than just the height of the texture. As Vermil said, that goes right back to vanilla Hexen. For a good Doom/ZDoom map that uses a number of midbars sliding and pivoting poly doors you could do a lot worse than check out this map:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11115