Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Christoph

Alien Vendetta music

You could always break out SLADE and extract it yourself, although you might have an issue if it's all in MUS format. (Does a converter for that on x64 even exist? All I can ever find are the old DOS-based ones that refuse to run. SLADE plays 'em, but won't convert 'em AFAIK.)

Most of Alien Vendetta's music comes from other games. From av.txt...

There is one new track in AV, running on map 20 (see author credits in section 6.2). The rest of the midi files were picked from the following sources - Ultimate Doom: Map02, 03, 05, 07, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 23, 27 & 28, Doom2: 26, Duke Nukem 3D: 10 & 31, Final Doom: 17 & 18, Rise of the Triad: 06, 25, intermission & story tracks, Heretic: 15, 19, 21, 24 & 29, Dwango6: Intro track, Other sources: 01, 04, 08, 09, 22, 30 & 32.

The soundtracks for those titles are pretty easy to find. Maybe someone else can identify the "other sources" that a handful of levels use.

Shadow Hog said:

SLADE plays 'em, but won't convert 'em AFAIK.)

Select the mus lumps, and then Audio->Convert MUS to MIDI.

MAP20 is an original song created by Chris Laverdure. The rest are taken from various games.

Gez said:

Select the mus lumps, and then Audio->Convert MUS to MIDI.

I swear I've tried this and gotten no such contextual menu. I'll give it another go when I get the chance...

Shadow Hog said:

You could always break out SLADE and extract it yourself, although you might have an issue if it's all in MUS format. (Does a converter for that on x64 even exist? All I can ever find are the old DOS-based ones that refuse to run. SLADE plays 'em, but won't convert 'em AFAIK.)

Use Dosbox.

Or SLADE 3.

Or heck, even ZDoom.

Back on topic, there are only four three unidentified songs in AV:

• MAP08
  • MAP09
  • MAP30
  • Text screens
The MAP09 song sounds very familiar to me. I must have heard it in other wads. The text screen song has some metadata that tells it was converted from a MUS lump by WinTEX; but it doesn't come from an IWAD. Either it was borrowed from another mod, or it was for some reason converted to MUS and then back to MID.

I was just thinking about adding a mus2midi command to EE's console the other day... now I have a good excuse (feature parity :P ). There's a dump lump command, but that would output raw MUS if used on a MUS lump, which is no good :P

Okay, yes: SLADE definitely has a MUS->MIDI converter built into it, and I am a giant fool for not noticing this earlier. Fair enough. Thanks for setting me straight, though.

(Also AV's music is all MIDI format so this side-topic was entirely pointless. Sorry!)

Songs in AV, excluded the music from IWADS.

Map01 Music: Seems to be from The Last Ninja 2, but music name is unknown.
Map04 Music: Sorry I dunno.
Map06 Music: "Excalibur" from ROTT
Map08 Music: Sorry I dunno.
Map09 Music: Sorry I dunno.
Map10 Music: "Plasma" from Duke Nukem 3D
Map15 Music: From Heretic E2M3
Map19 Music: From Heretic E1M1
Map20 Music: "Fight the Logic If You Can" by Chris Laverdure. It's an original song, therefore you can only found the midi but not the song with lyrics
Map21 Music: Actually it should be "Grove" from Hexan, but similar music in AV can't be found in Youtube
Map22 Music: "Briefing" from Descent II
Map24 Music: Seems to be from "The Last Ninja 2". Actually I don't think the info from Doom Wiki is correct as I can't found the song.
Map25(Demonic Hordes) Music: "You Suck" from ROTT
Map29 Music: From Heretic E1M4
Map30 Music: Sorry I dunno.
Map31: "Future Military Conquests" from Duke Nukem 3D
Map32/25(Valley of Echoes): From Heretic E1M9 & "Enter Sandman" by Metallica(1st release of Map32)

Yeah, this is told on the Doom Wiki page I linked to. The songs for maps 8, 9, and 30 are the only remaining mystery. Any other map in AV has its song identified already.

Gez said:

Go here: http://lastninja.lemon64.com/music_midi.php

get the Christer Holm pack, listen to ninja2.mid in the mid_holm.zip.

Thanks - that was more along the lines of what I was looking for (in fact that is the particular track I'm especially interested in). However, when I play the midi, it doesn't have music (just silence while playing). I don't know if this is a problem on my end or with the midi itself - other unrelated music files ran just fine, but not that one. Not sure why or what the problem is, or if anyone else has the same problem.

Christoph said:

I don't know if this is a problem on my end or with the midi itself - other unrelated music files ran just fine, but not that one. Not sure why or what the problem is, or if anyone else has the same problem.

When you play the MIDI with what?

I've listened to it with Foobar2000 and SLADE 3, it played okay in both cases.

My comp has Linux Mint, so I've tried running that midi with Gnome (which won't even play it), Banshee, and MoviePlayer (both of which play it but with no music). I could try playing it on a windows comp and see if it works...

Speaking of Slade, is that at all compatible outside of Windows?

EDIT: Apparently ALL of my midis don't seem to run properly on this comp anymore - not sure what happened. I'll try running them on another comp in the meantime.

Christoph said:

Speaking of Slade, is that at all compatible outside of Windows?

It should compile on Linux and Mac OS X too.