Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darknation

Horse DNA found in UK Tesco Burgers

Jodwin said:

Reindeer is delicious.

I can buy that. I always imagine reindeer to be a more flavorsome meat than regular venison for some reason.

LOL - actually thats not funny......Wonder what else goes into them, the odd cat or two, maybe a rat and a missing dog!!

I always buy from my local butcher and buy stuff he personally makes who I trust very much!

I read that horse meat is very lean and high in protein, so it's cool with me. Fact is, if "horse burger" was an option, I'd not shy away from eating it.

I've never eaten horse meat in my life. I believe it's frowned upon around here to eat horses.

Probably the work of militant vegans, though they'll have to do more than substitute one animal protein for another to frighten me into becoming a herbivore.

Kangaroo tastes nice.

Horse meat is a common delicacy in Italy -but not one you can afford all the time, it's more expensive than pork or beef. It's very lean and dark, which is perfect for people like me who hate excessive fat on meat, but will put off those that live for it.

Sfilacci di cavallo... mmm ;-) (fried stripes of dried horse meat)

You can buy a sandwich meat in Sweden called hamburger meat (hamburgerkött), which is smoked horse meat.

Poor Charlie. he never should have gone to Candy Mountain.

The only issue here is meat products are supposed to contain the thing they say they do. Same goes for all foods of course.

Horse is delicious. People in Alberta get offended if you tell them you eat it, but Alberta is one of the biggest exporters of the stuff. We send it to Europe and Japan in huge quantities. When I had some raw horse in Japan it was probably from here.

I seriously have no idea why some countries (my own one included - as is clear from the article) are so squeamish about eating horse meat. We are quite happy to eat other dumb herd herbivores. Horses aren't particularly special IMO and I'd happily eat their meat. In fact, just over the wall from my house, is a field with a horse. Maybe I should pop outside, shave off a strip and grill it. Mmmmm nom nom.

I know a horse enthusiast that is all in favour of eating horse meat too. She says that many horses in the UK have a very traumatic journey across to France where they are slaughtered for meat anyway. Much better to do it here and not put the animal through additional hardship.

Aliotroph? said:

Horse is delicious. People in Alberta get offended if you tell them you eat it, but Alberta is one of the biggest exporters of the stuff.

I get offended when some Asian people tell me that they eat dog meat or cat meat and that they consider it delicious. The reason is because I've obviously had those animals as pets to take care off for my whole life so far.

The meat is from the horses that didn't win Olympic medals.

What else are they good for though nowadays, really?

Hindus hate your Big Macs, made from Sacred Cows (aka, pretty much every cow in India, if not the world).

Enjay said:

I seriously have no idea why some countries (my own one included - as is clear from the article) are so squeamish about eating horse meat.

When I learned that I'd eaten an equine steak, I was less repulsed by the idea than indifferent about it. I just thought it was a crap steak, regardless of what animal it had been hewn from. So based on my one-off experience of horse meat, I can't say I'd recommend it. But not because I'm above the idea of eating horse.

There are, of course, things I wouldn't put anywhere near my mouth even if I was on the verge of dying from starvation; they say tarantulas and scorpions and other insects are quite delectable to eat, but I'm happy to let other people enjoy them.

Maes said:

Horse meat is a common delicacy in Italy -but not one you can afford all the time, it's more expensive than pork or beef. It's very lean and dark, which is perfect for people like me who hate excessive fat on meat, but will put off those that live for it.

that's all cool... but its taste sucks. this is why people usually prefer pork or beef over, like, rabbit. it's dry and there's no real taste to it. oh, but it's DIA, feel the health! in the past it used to be the poors who ate horse meat, because they couldn't afford beef. except in those times horses were aplenty and they kept breaking their legs all the time, so they had to be put out and their meat sold for next to nothing. nowadays it's a rare meal, cause you're probably eating poor snow-white daisy that used to ride children in a zoo for 10 years before she had an accident that broke her leg.

GreyGhost said:

Probably the work of militant vegans, though they'll have to do more than substitute one animal protein for another to frighten me into becoming a herbivore.

Kangaroo tastes nice.

So does ostrich.

dew said:

that's all cool... but its taste sucks. this is why people usually prefer pork or beef over, like, rabbit. it's dry and there's no real taste to it. oh, but it's DIA, feel the health! in the past it used to be the poors who ate horse meat, because they couldn't afford beef. except in those times horses were aplenty and they kept breaking their legs all the time, so they had to be put out and their meat sold for next to nothing. nowadays it's a rare meal, cause you're probably eating poor snow-white daisy that used to ride children in a zoo for 10 years before she had an accident that broke her leg.

Don't you just love it when Dew comes along and makes a bunch of shit up and post it as they were facts?

j4rio said:

pony pic

I bet those would taste like cotton candy or marshmallow.

I'll prefer horse as a salami. In my opinion, tastes a lot better than pork salami. Never tried as steak.

As for canines and felines as a food, I got bit of reservations for it. Wouldn't mind to try those, if I got the chance.

As for more about selling food as other than it is, about over month or two, but some company tried to sell dyed pork as a beef meat. And there was like ton of it. Still, I need to find news about that... :P

.:edit:.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19975127

kristus said:

Don't you just love it when Dew comes along and makes a bunch of shit up and post it as they were facts?

which part deserves your cruel scoffing, almighty kristus? horse meat was always known as lesser quality cheap stuff from forced slaughter, at least around here where horses were used for labour. that changed in the 50's when commies confiscated all the agricultural land and just forced using tractors. horses became just racing animals and the typical horse salami became rarer (still thought as lower grade meat, though). i don't really care if you don't believe it.

re: meat taste, well. go choke on it if you like it so much...