Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schwerpunk

[RELEASE] Monochrome Mapping Project (latest fix August 1st, 2013)

started right now a map for the project, my eyes are burrrning! don't know how long it will take.

Cacowad said:

started right now a map for the project, my eyes are burrrning! don't know how long it will take.

Great to hear you're taking a stab at it! And at the rate my psych. prof. is handing out assignments, you may very well be done before me. :P

If you get some interesting teaser screenshots in the meantime, feel free to post them along with the title of your WAD, if you have one yet, and I'll update the OP's 'pending' table.

currently my map is really messy so i think i can call it "monocromatic chaos".

p.s. there is a way to take screenshots from DB2? i can't see any key to do it.

You can use the printscreen button to copy it to the clipboard, then paste it into a pain program to be cropped and whatnot. There may be a dedicated screenshot button, but I haven't any idea about it.

thanks membrain!

here we go, a very WIP image from DB, since quite no details are implemented and a lot of rooms aren't still done, there isn't much to see... later when all the layout is done i will post some more interesting images.

edit: there are secret levels planned?

Cacowad said:

thanks membrain!

here we go, a very WIP image from DB, since quite no details are implemented and a lot of rooms aren't still done, there isn't much to see... later when all the layout is done i will post some more interesting images.

edit: there are secret levels planned?

1) Looks great so far.
2) Damn, but you work fast!
3) Re secret levels, none planned so far, but only because no one [else] has brought it up so far. In fact, the idea of packing these into some some of minimegaWAD came up only recently, and still hasn't been fleshed out, so I'm taking a tentative view of these things until we get some more interest/commitment.

I look forward to seeing your progress on this beautiful bowl of a black&white spaghetti! :3

P.S. added your entry & screen to OP under pending.
P.P.S. I realized yesterday that the link to my unfinished level (WhiteRoom) is actually the same file I'm working on in my Dropbox folder, so if you download it, and the playerstart is in a weird room with lots of colour tests all around, you know it's just schwerpunk being weird again. :P
P.P.P.S. Here's an update on my map:

Obviously, the giant arrow is for mapping purposes only, so I don't forget what I'm doing.

I'm considering making a map for this, though I wouldn't want to be listed on the front page until I can at least make something to show off.

Enzo03 said:

I'm considering making a map for this, though I wouldn't want to be listed on the front page until I can at least make something to show off.

There's no pressure to put up a pending notice or even give a heads-up; I just offer so that you guys can show off your progress, and so that other mappers can see what's in the tubes. The only time I might require it is if you wanted to contribute to the megaWAD, which is still being hashed out anyway.

If you want to stay low-key until you have something presentable, I completely respect that.

Hi there,

I have adapted my dada wad to fit this project :). Click the link below:
download
It has a lot of custom textures and the map is saved in Hexen format due to the use of slopes. I hope this does't give any problems. Anyways the map hasn't been playtested yet.
Let me know if you have any comments.

I've been resisting the temptation to do redo a Virus map in the style of this project for a few days now - glad somebody else broke and did a remake first! :P

Scientist: I haven't played through your WAD yet (again, heh), but it's fine with me if people want to reupholster old maps that they think fit with the theme of this project. Oh, what do you call this version of the WAD?

I'm considering adding a third category to the OP for these entries. Thoughts, anyone?

Scientist said:

Hi there,

I have adapted my dada wad to fit this project :). Click the link below:
download
It has a lot of custom textures and the map is saved in Hexen format due to the use of slopes. I hope this does't give any problems. Anyways the map hasn't been playtested yet.
Let me know if you have any comments.

This is one of the coolest maps I've ever played, and I think the graphics are what make it. The sense of vertigo makes what is otherwise a straightforward and easy map challenging.

schwerpunk said:
Oh, what do you call this version of the WAD?

It is okay if you call it dada.

RogueLeader said:
This is one of the coolest maps I've ever played, and I think the graphics are what make it. The sense of vertigo makes what is otherwise a straightforward and easy map challenging.

Thanks! You're right; it is gimmick wad :).

if i don't find any way to accomplish what i want to do using acs, may i eventually use decorate? i promise no monster/item/decoration/etc. will be replaced.

oh, well, it was going to be a surprise, but since i posted it in doom editing it is not anymore, so here we go.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/62892-binding-a-monster-to-acs/

i was going to do it in acs, and i am near(?) to it's solution. i have an alternative already done in decorate (just the time to trascribe the pseudo-code), but this solution will be supported only by zdoom.

Jaws In Space said:

I thought this sounded like a fun project so I made a very small map using mostly shawn textures. It's for vanilla Doom 2 Map 1, it includes multiplayer & deathmatch as well. I call the map Control Center. It can be downloaded here http://www.solidfiles.com/d/0596bc9b2b/

Just finished playing it on HMP. It's fun, but health & ammo balance goes from nice and tight in the beginning, to over-saturated near the end. Other than that it feels great, and leaves the player wanting more.

Loved the teleporting-monsters area, and the little homage at the end. ;D

P.S. it's been added to the OP, along with a screenie I took -- bringing us to update #5!

thanks to gggmork now i can return to actually finish the map layout and gameplay, but since i have some exams pending i have to standby the progress for a while.

edit: a little screenshot, just to make you uderstand the size of the map, this is a "little" area near the (probably) end. it need a lot of work to make sure it look a little less weird and more playable.

Finally done. Took me a vast amount of tme to create, mostly because I had almost no free time recently. I named it "The temple of light".

It requires some gzdoom-based source port to run as the illumination consists mostly on dynamic lights. Not monochrome at all, although uses only two textures.

DOWNLOAD BUTTON

I *might* need to apply some changes to the difficulity levels (only monsters' behaviour differs them now) so feel free to post your suggestions.

@Da Werecat: You're right, I forgot to finish this corridor up. I'll upload the wad with corrections and post the link here as soon as I can.
Also, I'm not happy with the sky. It was meant to be more realistic, but it was destroying the frame rate.

Added sawd and Da Werecat's entries to the OP, bringing us to Update #6!

Cacowad: I can empathize with school getting busy. I've got four exams on one day next week. Which has definitely cut into my Doom Building/playing time to the point where I'm happy if I can just keep up to date with this thread.

Da Werecat: I just check out your entry very quickly, because I had to see how the textures came off. I gotta say, it works. It really, really works.

sawd: I checked out your temple, and after dying the first time, I'm really digging the scarce ammo/health so far (HMP). It's amazing how much you communicate with just a bit of colour. Great use of textures, too.

Just played through the newest entries. Pretty impressive stuff!

@Jaws In Space: I really liked the unique rooms and sense of inside and outside that your map represented. It felt like an early entry in an Iwad, but was sufficiently challenging. One thing I will echo is the lack of ammo in the beginning and overabundance at the end. It also felt a wee bit on the linear side. That's not a bad thing, inherently, but the rooms kind of felt like a string of challenges rather than a coherent whole. Still, good show!

@sawd: Your map was definitely an interesting one. I loved the way you used the skybox and dynamic lights to give the entire map a very particular ambiance. The rooms past the red key door, especially, were incredibly atmospheric and also had the most unique architecture and gameplay in the whole map. One issue I noticed was a distinct lack of ammo at the beginning that was so bad that I ended up having to punch several demons to death, and I'm fairly good at conserving ammo. The flow of the map was quite good, but I would recommending just scrapping those winding hallways. They don't really give the monsters time to shine, and end up being kind of a slog. Once again, though, these are pretty minor issues that can be fixed really easily. Great work!

@ Da Werecat: I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but your map may be the strongest entry I've seen in this project. The ammo and health balance is tight, the fights and puzzles are interspersed very well, and the design of the map is aesthetically pleasing. I took roughly eleven minutes through it, and I felt that the progression was really good. I liked how you seemed to start in a base, but eventually ended up on a bunch of rooftops. Great use of limited textures to create a sense of place. The final fight was also surprisingly challenges, especially after having taken on the mancs in the last big fight. I will say, though, that the map did have a bit of trouble with slowing down between fights. Perhaps interlinking a few more areas together would help with that, but really, as with the other two entries, that's a minor niggle.

Ok, my map linked earlier (unfinished) could be used as a "hub", but not a hub technically as I'd probably simply use:
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Teleport_NewMap
and a global scope variable:
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Scope

So like, start in map 1 (or whatever number) in my hub. From there you can teleport to maps 2 3 or 4 (other people's zdoom maps) etc in any order, pistol starting each as normal. Only zdoom maps could work due to ACS. When exiting you'd warp back to my hub and maybe the light of that particular teleporter would be turned off since that map was completed (using the global variable to do so).

I don't want to "force" the hub on anyone of course, so if you map is zdoom and you WANT to opt into having your map accessed from mine as a pseudo hub, as described above (if possible/can figure it out), then let me know.

Your map can be its own isolated map, or entered from and exited back to the hub (when all maps are completed probably a new warp opens that goes back to the rest of the individual zdoom maps. But this is all zdoom stuff, maybe boom maps etc would need a separate wad.

Or if few interested in that, I could just make mine an isolated map too.

@gggmork:
When linux jams, it freakin' jams. And doesn't even print a fancy blue screen. What makes me dislike your map a bit.
Nevertheless, I like your idea of hub, but bear in mind that if someone hasn't made their map in zdoom format, they'd need to reorganise all the linedef actions in their maps in order to insert the teleport_newmap action (as different formats' action numbers and possible arguments vary). I'd sign up for the hub. But please, don't insert a >100 sectors grid in such huge open space.

Also, I have a brand new version of my map, with the most severe problems (missing textures and door, overpopulation of tight corridors, etc) repaired.

I just played through yours and the lights were nice looking and I like the decorations at the end and it was fun. Yours is for gzdoom only (had little icons instead of colored lights if run in zdoom). Maybe you ran my map in gzdoom instead of zdoom which might explain the slowdown/crash. If I run mine in zdoom 2.5.0 it works fine, just a bit of slowdown when lots of flats move at the same time.

The only other map I played of these is scientist's and that was really cool looking. Simple but well done so all the animation matches up