Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MarkAnthony89

Inovative Ideas for Community Projects

Longest Maps Ever community project? Great. Mining Fecality 2: Around the World.

The idea of banning starbase and hell themes sound the best for me.

I don't really think banning of those themes will work for a project. It will severely hurt the amount of mappers who join because everyone else is so used to making Hell and base maps.

Impboy4 said:

I don't really think banning of those themes will work for a project. It will severely hurt the amount of mappers who join because everyone else is so used to making Hell and base maps.

If they can't step out of their comfort zone at least once, what are they really worth? :P

EDIT: Just as some ideas off of the top of my head that aren't "Hell" or "Tech Base": Castle; Cave; City; Sewer; Airport; Space Station; House; Haunted Mansion; Police Station; Hospital; Jungle; Desert; Village; Dockyard; Warehouse; Mine; Hotel; Sports Stadium; Wild West; Countryside; Ruins; Nightclub; Metal Hive; Winter...

The list goes on. And on. And on. Think of any game you've played. It probably wasn't just made up of UAC techbases and Hell, unless it was Doom 3. I'm confident I've played all of those ones I've listed in mods for Doom 2 already, to one extent or another.

Phobus said:

Potential idea: Have a community project that bans the themes "Hell" and "Techbase" from being submitted and then has texture sets be open?

Couold be fun, though I think it would be a good idea for anyone doing it to try and put together a texture wad before hand - one of the reasons people make Hell and techbase levels is because Doom mostly has Hell and techbase textures.

Maybe something like:

"Your home city has come under attack from terrible monsters. You must defend your home, then seek out the source of these creatures: a strange temple at the heart of a dense jungle."

maps 1-11 city
maps 12-20 outdoor environments
maps 21-30 ancient ruins
maps 31-32 ???

Phobus said:

A lot of those ideas don't look like ones that would take off easily, mostly because of the gigantic projects they'd be or niche appeal being a problem.

Of course, most of these ideas would involve lots and lots of hard work but it would be worth IMO.

Phobus said:

Ideas 3 ("Say My Name", would be my title) and 8 (a homage-fest) would be pretty enjoyable for the masses AND not take forever to do, IMO, although 2 is definitely the most interesting, seeing as it'd be a "forced innovation" project. If you want to see 5 in action, just look at half the maps that turned up in the Community Chest projects - everybody going for their magnum opus resulting in hours and hours and hours of play time.

Thanks for your feedback but I can't agree with you when you compare 5th idea to the Community Chest projects ´cause VERY few of the maps from the community chests are SO HUUUUUUUUGE and the 5th idea is every single map is HUUUUUUUUUUUGE including even map01.

kmxexii said:

Not to rain on your boundless enthusiasm but the community is not suffering for any shortage of interesting ideas for community projects. All of the real difficulty comes from making your aspirations manifest in the map editor..

Well I know, and I´ve only noticed the number of community projects currently being worked after creating this thread, consider this thread as a supply of ideas, if any author wants to start a community project this may be a good thread for him/her to check out.

BaronOfStuff said:

As for my own idea for a community project, something along the lines of Ultimate Simplicity's general approach to maps would do just fine; classic-style gameplay, but taking full advantage of ZDoom's flexibility for mapping features.

That's also a good idea IMO but that was already done with Zpack, my intentions with this thread is creating brand new ideas that have never had put in practice.

Ribbiks said:

I like idea #5, mostly because I think a collection of maps with 8-hour par times would be hilarious. I'm imagining a HR 'the descent' spoof with a floor that slowly lowers from +65000 to -65000

Good to know that at least someone likes this idea, of course some think it would be boring but no doubt it's an interesting idea and for doomers who just LOVE doom 2 (like me) a 50-hours megawad would be awesome. :P

Katamori said:

I strongly recommend the 2nd and the 6th ideas. I'm the fan of unique ways.

Good feedback, 2nd and 6th would really amaze many doomers IMO.

Scypek2 said:

The idea of banning starbase and hell themes sound the best for me

With all respect and no offence, don't you think some of these 8 ideas (or at least 1) are more interesting or innovative? But ok banning starbase and hell themes might sound interesting too, I'll add it to the main post if I can.

Hey guys! I've just updated this thread and now any of you can post your own ideas but they have to be creative and brand new, just post in this thread and I'll add it to the first post including the author's name near his/her idea.

CHEERS! XP

BaronOfStuff said:

A map that would take this long to get through with only 200 enemies would bore me -- and perhaps anyone else -- to fucking tears. 5 - 8 hours in a Speedrun? Jesus Christ. I'm no fan of Slaughtermaps (if anything I simply can't stand the mindless nature of them), but something that needs several hours to get through casually would by default require at least 3,000 or so (probably many, many more) enemies distributed throughout to keep it remotely entertaining. If I wanted to just run around and occasionally get into a fight, I'd go outside for a jog in a shitty area of town, not play Doom.

Actually you'd need a hell of a lot more than that. The two massive slaughtermaps I played recently took around 40 minutes without Doom God skills or advance warning of what was coming. There were 4,600 monsters in one map and about half that in the other.

There are a couple of UV-Max players on Youtube who have done these maps in less than 15 minutes. To keep a player occupied for hours would be out of the question for Doom's limits, unless of course you took all the BFGs, ten thousand cell packs and fifty megaspheres out of the maps.

MajorRawne said:

To keep a player occupied for hours would be out of the question for Doom's limits, unless of course you took all the BFGs, ten thousand cell packs and fifty megaspheres out of the maps.

Or you can make a map with some REALLY cryptic secrets needed to find the secret exit. :D I have a demo of me playing map31 from Reverie for the first time and it is 3 hours long... And the map is not that big really, you can max it in 15 minutes if you learn where everything is.

MarkAnthony89 said:

Good feedback, 2nd and 6th would really amaze many doomers IMO.

That's sure, a lot of similar maps would be necessary.