Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darknation

itunes alternative

getting grief, gf wants to install itunes on the computer. have said no but promised to look into finding a program that wasn't a piece of shit malware aids infected pseudovirus. Alternatives that are not system resource hogs would be appreciated.

Do underground utilities that can do whatever iTunes does in order to transfer files to iThings exist? Fuck this 'you can't circumvent this' shit.

Depends on what you want to do that iTunes does. For simply downloading music, try Rhapsody or Spotify (though I guess both are just streaming music services, don't know if you can purchase from them).

For interfacing with an iPod/iPhone/iPad device it can get tricky. I use Winamp to manipulate my older iPod, but as far as I know you can only use iTunes for iPhones, newer iPod Touch devices, and iPads.

I don't use Apple products so I can't really say any more than that.

DoomUK said:

Why the twin tape decks?

The top one is the "good" one, a classic component deck (Aiwa AD-F330). The one at the bottom is more of a noname "cassceiver" (an amp/receiver/deck combo) without as many options or tape capabilities as the Aiwa, and thus I only use it as an amp or for listening to radio. I've got several other decks right now, this setup is actually from 1 year ago :-p

My main system right now is this:

occupying the same spot as the Aiwa + Linwood combo.

ah, should have clarified. just need to transfer music onto the ipod and convert MP3 to whatever shit format steve jobs farted out prior to his righteous pwnage by cancer.

darknation said:

ah, should have clarified. just need to transfer music onto the ipod and convert MP3 to whatever shit format steve jobs farted out prior to his righteous pwnage by cancer.

How old is the ipod? They've had mp3 support for quite a while now. Winamp should suffice just fine for this task in that case. I recommend the ml_ipod plugin over the stock one, though, it's a little more robust. I guess it works with iphones and ipod touches now but is limited.

Is there something about Winamp that makes it less-preferable than these others as an iTunes alternative?

Indeed. In Windows I just use Winamp. I like its simple "open and play files" feature. No media library fuss needed. I already have the music stored neatly in my system, thank you very much.

printz said:

Indeed. In Windows I just use Winamp. I like its simple "open and play files" feature. No media library fuss needed. I already have the music stored neatly in my system, thank you very much.

Winamp has a really convenient media library actually. I have around 700gb of picked and sorted mp3s, and navigating through folders would take like 10-25sec to do without using library. With library it takes about 2-4sec at most to add any album/song i want. And it's incredibly lightweight (i still use 3.x version though). [/offtopic]

'Billy' - lightest music player app I know of. If you want a portable app under 1mb that takes 2-5mb ram maximum when in use; and loads a colossal library in 2 seconds, then go with this. Throw a shortcut in the "Startup" directory. Obviously it isn't loaded with functionality though.

MediaMonkey or Winamp I know are good for syncing/transferring.
Tried Clementine as mentioned here. Installed and ran... using 90mb idle, brand new...

edit: typo + temp pic for comparison

I haven't had much trouble using Sharepod.

Honestly dn, I would just find a new girlfriend.

It's far less hassle than either installing itunes, or finding a decent alternative.

Since getting my iPhone a few years back I have hated iTunes with a passion. So much for Apple's 'It Just Works' philosophy...

I found the Copytrans Suite a few months back and I've never been happier. It's not a music library but it's great for getting full use out of your iPod. I highly recommend it.

For music, yeah, like others have mentioned, I just use Spotify though I do really like Last.fm too.

darknation said:

hah, she's selling it and buying a non-retarded mp3 player.

Thanks guys!

Awesome. :)

I never purchase through Itunes, Spotify, Amazon etc. as artists get sweet fuck all from them. Best bet is through their bandcamp page, website or directly from their label. Depends how much you care where the money goes (it's often cheaper too).

darknation said:

hah, she's selling it and buying a non-retarded mp3 player.

Thanks guys!

Hey pritch, he may have found the right one after all.