Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Berserker Quake 2 source mod.

So I came across this pretty nice Q2 engine mod called Berserker Q2. It's by a russian guy, the website is in russian and you can't sign up on the forums. It's as if they built a fortress of solitude around themseleves. Anyway, I'm trying to find out more information about it. But it's difficult. I can't seem to find a way to contact the developer and the documents are in russian for the most part so it's hard to penetrate even with a bit of Google translate.

What I am curious about is the modeling and map aspects of the mod. So I am throwing this out there to anyone interested in helping me find out about this one. I think it features Md3 and ASE model support. But I can¨'t say for sure. They are in the forums looking at making high quality models for it. Which makes me think that they would have a proper model format in store for this. Md3 would work, but it's hardly optimal. Then there's the maps format. They've made the lighting process a seperate entity since they made a new lighting engine. And that alleviates a lot of the issues you would have working with the Q2 map format. But there's still vis limits in compiling the maps to run. So it should point towards them accepting a Q3 or D3 format for the maps. Though I can't find any indications towards this.

Anyway, here's the website of the mod: http://berserker.quakegate.ru/
Scroll down to the bottom to find the downloads.

I love how he thinks he can trademark his name on the very bottom below the downloads..

Err, there's a shitload of screenshots showing off the visual effects. Sure they're only 640x480, but it's not like they are omitting any details since the resources of Q2 are pretty low res.

Vanilla q2 in gl looks better than this. I can never understand why people want to go over the top with and think that the bump mapping and ugly shadows work well with low res and low poly models/maps and textures. It's just unnecessarily garish.

I tried this mod only a few years ago and I can agree with the models and their textures looking bad but I don't agree with the map textures looking bad, they actually look quite good, however I haven't yet downloaded the newest updates since then so I am unaware of any further changes.