Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Shadow Hog said:

How are you supposed to get into that, anyway?

Well, count speed dynamics in DooM physics...

It will. I remember when I had a bunch of issues with Doom when I was a kid, trying to get it to run.

The easiest, best way in my opinion to do this, is with PrBoom+. Just google that, download it, then put your Doom IWADs in the folder you put PrBoom+. Then just run PrBoom+'s exe and voila! You're done.

The original DOOM was made for DOS and VGA (320x200 pixels, 256 colors).

To still play it like a man, you can run it in a "DosBox" emulator ("D-Fend Reloaded" may help you creating a matching environment).

But if you are a boy who prefers it funky and cool, use modern source ports with 3D graphic accellerator support via Direct3D or OpenGL. Risen3D or GZDoom may belong to the currently most elaborate engines with support for high resolutions, shading effects, high-res textures, 3D meshes for monsters and decorates, ...

LigH said:

The original DOOM was made for DOS and VGA (320x200 pixels, 256 colors).

To still play it like a man, you can run it in a "DosBox" emulator ("D-Fend Reloaded" may help you creating a matching environment).

But if you are a boy who prefers it funky and cool, use modern source ports with 3D graphic accellerator support via Direct3D or OpenGL. Risen3D or GZDoom may belong to the currently most elaborate engines with support for high resolutions, shading effects, high-res textures, 3D meshes for monsters and decorates, ...

Play it like a boy and get Doomsday Engine, why settle for less :)

There could be a battle between the dissimilar twins, DoomsDay and Risen3D... but not here. Except for surprising differences, matching this topic. ;-)

Or you can play it like an old man with an old computer via actual DOS and no emulators slowing it down. :P

I'd recommend Chocolate Doom if you want a port that's pretty accurate to the original Doom. ZDoom if you want to play higher end mods, and for multiplayer either ZDaemon, Zandronum and Odamex.

Maybe this should go in the Confessional thread, but I cannot understand why people would want to play a game in its native format if that was crude and blocky. Doom 2 looks like crap if I run it without a source port. It's like watching a film from the 70s and enjoying it more when it's blurry and the sound is hard to hear, rather than enjoying the remastered version in HD. Just escapes me. :P

Source ports definitely look better, but it still has a certain je ne sais quoi that's fun to dabble in every once in a while.

(Also think source ports play better, personally, but I can respect those who think otherwise.)

MajorRawne said:
It's like watching a film from the 70s and enjoying it more when it's blurry and the sound is hard to hear, rather than enjoying the remastered version in HD.

Doom is like Star Wars. Sure, the Blu-Ray sounds great and looks even better, but I'll always prefer my bootleg copy of the LaserDisc with analog-sourced SD video and Dolby Surround stereo sound since the lightsabres and X-wings are the right colour and Han shot first :-)

I concede the point, it's purely a personal preference that things are new and shiny, I wasn't trying to insult people who like it old-school :)

Eris Falling said:

I just found this HOM in MAP02 of TNT: Evilution. And yes, I actually died in this map.

Interesting. That looks more like a deliberate (or accidental, I've seen those too due to BSP errors) deep water effect. TNT does have some such effects (e.g. at the end of MAP31: Pharao), which I only recently noticed.

I think this is definitely what it is. I took a look in DB2 and found that the pool is made up of about 3 sectors. To me their properties are kind of odd.

Anyway, they all have different floor heights, so I took comparison screenshots, kept as links to keep the anonymous moderator happy.

The main (and only?) sign is the position of the backpack. It does appear slightly sunken in the original.

Original

Modified

It's quite clearly a deliberate deep water effect, and if you didn't die in the pool the camera would never have lowered enough to see a HOM here.

CODOR said:

since the lightsabres and X-wings are the right colour and Han shot first :-)

Perhaps the reason the colours were changed was because they weren't the desired colours in the first place. :P Also I think Han did shoot first regardless of the version, they just made the rodian shot in reflex from being shot.

Edit: Sorry my post seemed to have posted a second time while I posted an edit to the first.

Gez said:

It's quite clearly a deliberate deep water effect, and if you didn't die in the pool the camera would never have lowered enough to see a HOM here.

Not even the lower FWATER* flat. Since Memento Mori, it is proven that a "flawless" DW effect can be obtained by self-referencing sectors.

MajorRawne said:

Maybe this should go in the Confessional thread, but I cannot understand why people would want to play a game in its native format if that was crude and blocky.

That doesn't bother me. Certain bugs do though, which is why I seldom go near doom2.exe.

Doom 2 looks like crap if I run it without a source port.

Eh, the blocky visuals are quite useful for the game's primitive effects -- the software renderer's pseudo-'depth fog' looks like shit if you play in a high resolution; the shading bands just seem too clear if using anything above 640x480.

_bruce_ said:

Looks like a texture from Blood.

Da HOM???

Revenant even looks taller than baron or hell knight but actuly its same tall as zombieman,imp,sargent,commando,pigs etc or marine as it can cross smallest "working" doors,even

Zahid said:

Revenant even looks taller than baron or hell knight but actuly its same tall as zombieman,imp,sargent,commando,pigs etc or marine as it can cross smallest "working" doors,even

Archviles are also only 56 pixels high, even if they look like 72. The more stunting fact is that Lost Souls are also as "tall" as them, despite the fact you wouldn't expect them be.

MrrCaliber said:

Doom's level geometry is perfectly static - vertices do not move, z coordinate notwithstanding - it's not really there, as you may know. This simplicity is the epitome of its efficiency. They would have to tear down and rewrite everything to make those wolf3d doors work. Thus, "abandoned in the mists of time". And polybjects were nothing more than another hack, albeit a very elegant one.

Seems like making a Thing that reacted to player actions would have been a pretty easy thing to hack in.

qoncept said:

Seems like making a Thing that reacted to player actions would have been a pretty easy thing to hack in.

It was certainly not. It was like near to rewriting the source code, or at least creating mobile x and y coordinates. One would ask how the hell doors worked in Wolf3D, but it was only an animation, rendering the door "cube" passable when finished and solid when the closing animation started. "Simple" like a punch in the face.