Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

I am donating my Crusher map to the Nova newbie project since there was only one crusher in it and that needed to be taken out because it was crap. The rest of the map was quite good, I just couldn't fit any crushers into it.

I've started a new crusher map which actually lives up to its name. Screenies to follow shortly. Thanks for your patience chaps :)

MAP25 transferred to Glenzinho.

Glad to know MAP31 hasn't been forgotten. From what I can gather from other people, and screenshots of TNT2, Xasermaps are of a very high-quality.
Honestly, I think WOLF3D textures are cartoony anyway, aside from the Nazi Imagery.
Let's face it, the imagery and the troopers are all you really need for a Wolf-themed level anyway. Anything else is just a really shitty looking brick texture.

While we're on the subject, the map is now a thing:

Here's to hoping a new unshitty brick texture is okay, instead. :P

Xaser said:

Here's to hoping a new unshitty brick texture is okay, instead. :P

Looks great and I'm looking forward to playing it, however custom textures have not been approved for this project (at the moment at least)

They need 'em for the map to work. I got a "maybe" regarding using 'em for the secret map, so I figured I'd go ahead and flesh out the facade as potential leverage or something. :P

Xaser said:

...so I figured I'd go ahead and flesh out the facade as potential leverage or something. :P

Well, I hope it works, because It's a pretty fine brick texture! :p

Xaser said:

They need 'em for the map to work. I got a "maybe" regarding using 'em for the secret map, so I figured I'd go ahead and flesh out the facade as potential leverage or something. :P

Someone has to break the rules :P Go for it, and looking forward to the map.
Oh our project leader might not be commenting on here for some time :/

Er - why was our fearless leader losered?

EDIT: Beaten to it.

EDIT 2: Feedback on Map 04, The Focus.

Nice to play a quick, relatively simple blaster after playing dozens of massive slaughtermaps. The map is the right length and I managed it without dying on UV. That said, I am quite a poor shot, Imps nearly always take 2 shotgun hits for me to kill, so I found the ammon balance quite poor and nearly ran out twice. The lava maze at the end... well it only took 30 seconds to navigate, but it is full of Lost Souls and I was down to 1 or 2 shotgun shells when I exited the map. Not a fan of mazes, but lava mazes... not my preference unfortunately.

All in all it was a decent map, just a couple of annoyances.

I was thrown into Losers for constantly breaking the image filesize limit. I thought it was 500KB, turns out it was 200. Not going to make that mistake again.

I'll make an exception for the custom-texture rule for Wolfenstein :) Those screenshots look pretty cool to me, and Jimmy's music track for it sounds badass.

Thanks for all your feedback on my map. Probably the most important thing I came to know (from one of the Czech playtesters) are problems with the final battle, which:
1. Don't open exit door if you choosed a bad shortcut before.
2. Is way too difficult

I will fix that (and maybe change some other things) and upload a second version tomorrow.

Please take screenshots rather than uploading a whole new WAD to check the changes.

Anyway

Link to a 216KB img, so my ass isn't losered again.

Basically...

This is better, but that brown texture clashes horribly with the rest of the room.
Liquid ceilings don't make any sense.

Those key doors shouldn't use that texture. However, you could get away with making them pillars I think.

What do you mean make detail?

Eris Falling said:

This is better, but that brown texture clashes horribly with the rest of the room.

I disagree, that brown texture adds some color contrast, which is nice (single color rooms are not cool usually). And doom had some liquid ceilings I think?

Memfis said:

I disagree, that brown texture adds some color contrast, which is nice (single color rooms are not cool usually). And doom had some liquid ceilings I think?

I think Some of Sandy Petersen's maps had liquid ceilings

cannonball said:

Sandy Petersen

Heh. Maybe that's who this is?

Well, maybe the brown doesn't clash horribly, but it just looks odd to me.
It's still a bland room though. Still needs a lot of work. This isn't as bad as the last map though, so let's not give up on it yet.

The Citadel - Second version

Final battle altered so it's a lllllllllitttttttttle bit easier and - most importantly - always possible, no matter which way there you choose.
Also I used autoalign-textures-feature on one wall in the underground section, and now it looks better as a whole!

Changes are so little that it's probably not worth replaying for those of you who already played the first version.
You can consider this a final version if no other bugs appear.

Memfis said:

And Doom had some liquid ceilings I think?

The first liquid ceiling encountered is the star-shaped arena of Phobos Anomaly.

cannonball said:

I think Some of Sandy Petersen's maps had liquid ceilings

That says a lot. ;) Personally I would avoid liquid ceilings unless you're going for a hellish or surreal effect. They look weird in a normal map.

Eris Falling said:

Dude, fuck logic.
:P

Anyway, if laziness ain't gonna grip me, I might as well release preview wad of the map layout in next week.
I guess.

others said:

[DISCUSSION ABOUT LIQUID CEILINGS]

Maybe they don't make any sense, but I don't agree they are always bad. I believe they can be used to give your map a special character, or to create some special visual effect, especially if it's connected with some sort of lighting effect. Here are some examples of liquid ceilings in my map, and I don't find them a mark of bad/old-school/reprehensible design. All the sectors are glowing or flickering.

Just a small question:
Does vanilla allow any "3D" stuff? Or does it just allow for certain textures? I just made a non-walkable catwalk, and Choco crashed on me. :/
It's not important, so I can scratch that, if need be.
Shot for the case.

CorSair said:

Just a small question:
Does vanilla allow any "3D" stuff? Or does it just allow for certain textures? I just made a non-walkable catwalk, and Choco crashed on me. :/
It's not important, so I can scratch that, if need be.
Shot for the case.

Use STEPLAD1 or STEPTOP instead.
Because vanilla doesn't allow multipatch textures as middle textures.

Earlier I said:

I might as well release preview wad of the map layout in next week.
I guess.

Scratch that.
Alpha preview

NOTES BEFORE YOU START DOING ANYTHING:
Because it's still alpha, and I need to do some thinking about placement of stuff, this does NOT contain monsters, locked doors, keys and items.

Also, you need mudwater.wad. :P

But I still would like to have some thoughts. Does it even look Refueling Base? Does the texturing even look correct?

Thanks in advance. :)

Hey, I hope everything goes well with this project so far...
I could create another map, if any of them are abandoned at the moment, or if any of you have too much work finishing several maps.

My map looks arse compared to some of these... but that's because I am building it without any details at all since I get bogged down with that stuff. Detailing will come after I upload the alpha.

If anyone can give me any pointers on 3D briges, as I'd like to include one or two :)

What difficulty level are we aiming for?

Joseph Lord said:

Here is map23 and 24 in the same wad. I added a sorprise factor in map24, i hope not break any rules :)

Is Map 24 even remotely possible to complete? I mean, there doesn't seem to be enough ammo for a start... if you can complete this from pistol start, please show me via way of demo.