• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fluffles

Tablets

Fluffles said:

replacing most types of computers.

No thanks.

The future is probably Graphene. Great, bendy computers. Why the hell do we need that?

using tablets for everything seems like an ergonomic catastrophe to me. work stations, home cinemas or gaming rigs an pocket-sized smartphone computers... i don't see tablets being useful at all in these tasks, even with experimental setups like the asus padfone.

Really? even with an 1.9ghz-3ghz dual core i5/i7 processor, 8GB RAM, an alright graphics card, 128GB SSD, usb ports, hdmi, full windows 8 OS? pretty much means you could play doom ports on the go with just the full windows 8 OS on itself. I'm really interested in the way this is going, only things which do concern me is it would definitely require insurance and the price of that first tablet (£700-£1000) at the moment.

I never got a tablet because I never saw a reason to. I have a laptop already and I don't really see what a tablet can do that my current computer can't.

That's pretty much like asking if all cars in the future will have automatic transmissions, and manual will die out. It won't, because certain applications demand it, and certain drivers prefer it.

Palmtops came and went... PDAs came and went.... Tablets are just a rehash of those concept, and occupy the equivalent nice. They sure have their uses, but just like you can't replace proper professional bench tool with a lighter, more limited "home" version suitable for the odd job or as a backup, you can't expect a tablet to do everything a home computer does as efficiently.

If they do "become the norm", that will only be through some sort of dual or multi-mode functionality. Primary mode will be portable touchscreen, but there will have to be some standardized office docking interface for serious work -effectively turning them into regular desktops when not on the move, with access to better screens, better keyboards, more suitable input devices etc.

Then again, data syncing already makes such a scenario obsolete -why putting all of your eggs in one basket and carry around your one and only computer?

Also, at technology parity, if in the future you'll be able to put functionality and performance X into a tablet or notebook, a desktop of similar cost will always have the potential for 10X -simpler to manufacture, easier to upgrade and service, and easier to connect to external devices that you might need.

TL; DR: Tablets will always be a "for the rest of them" product.

fluff: but that's doom, you can play doom on your... fridge or something. modern FPSs and MMOs? don't think so! also whenever you do anything GPU-costly you burn through your battery power, so you'll end up plugging it into the grid. and then you might as well get a proper keyboard and a nicer screen and goddamit mouse would be so good right now, etc.

i actually think the modular system is a way to go. i've done away with a tabletop PC and i just plug my notebook to an external screen+keyboard as i'm not that much of a modern gamer. i'm just not so sure about the time frame for tablets to replace that notebook in the center of my rig.

Yeah I was exactly the same when I saw all types of tablets just floating about, all of them with shitty unique OS which arent compatible with barely anything and are limited use. But once I saw this one just made me change how I thought about tablets really.

dew said:

fluff: but that's doom, you can play doom on your... fridge or something. modern FPSs and MMOs?

Can now man, most games it'll play very well. I stated doom mostly because I'd love to play doom on it haha. The tablet I linked is literally designed for new game fans and will play the majority of new games

That's partly why I'm so interested is how good the hardware is in such a small form factor

Fluffles said:

replacing most types of computers.

WRONG! People will not be robbed of freedom of choice, and they are conscious of the fact that a screen which can sit by itself on top of a table or desk is much more efficient and ergonomic and productive than a screen which needs to constantly be held inside sweaty palms.

When we moved from floppy disks to optical disks and flash drives, that was a totally different story. Back then the transition was actually a beneficial evolution. :p

dew said:

i actually think the modular system is a way to go. i've done away with a tabletop PC and i just plug my notebook to an external screen+keyboard as i'm not that much of a modern gamer. i'm just not so sure about the time frame for tablets to replace that notebook in the center of my rig.

I've got an Asus Transformer with the keyboard dock, which I think is sort of what you're talking about when you mention modular systems. Honestly, I use it fairly often. But, it depends on what I'm working on, too. It's become a sort of supplemental tool for me, a quick mobile way to access my centralized data. I'll take it with me to meetings to take notes, on trips to keep myself entertained (with movies, mainly), or use it as a portable Netflix device. But I can't see it ever replacing my laptop, or especially my desktop, regardless of OS.

I don't see tablets replacing computers. The small screen is a killer feature. If they're too big (like detachable laptop displays) they become less portable and more vulnerable.

I'd rather see them replace paper, if battery doesn't become a hindrance. They're very good for reading documents, because I can sit in the same place I go when I read books.

printz said:

The small screen is a killer feature. If they're too big (like detachable laptop displays) they become less portable and more vulnerable.

Aside from the performance of the system itself, this is definitely the clincher. Until tablets (that can perform as well as desktops) have holographic projectors that make monitor size a redundant issue, at least.

This is like how they said the PC would kill the mainframe. Didn't happen. Business types can't tell the difference between a flat market and a declining one. This is because they're mostly just stupid. They said PCs were dying 15 years ago when sales numbers stopped growing geometrically. They were obviously wrong and forgetting to take into account that most people who wanted a computer already had one.

"Most computers" is a naive way to describe PCs too. "Most computers" are web servers and embedded devices. That will likely be true until the death of civilization as we know it, and probably for a long time afterwards too.

I think tablets will replace PCs for a lot of people. Those will mostly be the people who only used PCs for simpler tasks. This has already largely happened with phones in some places. I think I met one person in Japan who owned a laptop. Everyone else was content with their phones.

Just like headphones "killed" the home stereo .... NOT.

Tried a number of tablets. Seen loads of people using tablets. Thought the tablets were all a bit shit and unsuited to my needs.

Let's be honest here:

As long as tablets come with toy OS's (yes, that means iOS, Android and Windows RT) that's exactly what they are: expensive toys - good enough to play the occasional game or do some internet surfing - but that's really all.

Worse, unless Apple and Microsoft don't give up to try to lock users into their own little niche there's very little chance that tablets (and smartphones) will ever become productive devices.

I think those full Windows tablets are the first ones ever to do it right: Putting a fully featured computer plus operating system into such a small device. Unfortunately the first generation is far too expensive to become a success.

Bottom line: Unless something changes dramatically they won't kill the home computer. Sure, for casual users they may work as a replacement but there's still enough people out there who need more from a computer.

Exactly, tablets are shit with things like iOS and unique android OS's but now the first one with a proper windows 8 OS, starting at 1k dollars. in the future this will definitely decrease and could make it possible that laptops can be replaced by something smaller instead of some peoples need of having a tablet, laptop, desktop, smart phone.

I'm completely pumped that a cool tablet like the new razer one is coming out as I've always wanted to play all my fav games on the go or maybe at work ;).

Graf Zahl said:

I think those full Windows tablets are the first ones ever to do it right: Putting a fully featured computer plus operating system into such a small device. Unfortunately the first generation is far too expensive to become a success.

And how do you expect to manipulate the desktop interface without needing extra materials that turn it into a 10.6" laptop, weak enough not to overheat? Not to mention that there are tons of good Windows programs designed for keyboard and mouse, not touchscreen gestures. Sounds like "less is more" case here.

Isn't Android free? Maybe you can turn that into the fully featured computer you want, as long as you accept the processor power and user interface limitations. Why don't I see the same proliferation of free software for Android tablets as I see for GNU/Linux (desktop)? Maybe there isn't such a big demand as on computers for free software… maybe that's why limited-rights markets like iOS are doing pretty well.

Windows Tablets will suck regardless along with their Apple equivalents. Not to mention WinRT is a giant joke to force you into switching to C#/.NET from C/C++/Java/Pascal.

Also, using a touch screen really hurts my fingers. Imagine tapping at a screen for 10 hours a day. Not to mention tapping sucks, it will take you much longer to do something useful than with a standard keyboard/mouse. And if you say "Who's going to tap at a screen for 10 hours a day?", well imagine working at a store which uses a touch screen interface.

Fluffles said:

I've always wanted to play all my fav games on the go or maybe at work

And exactly how you plan doing it without proper controllers? Soon you'll realize that only point & click games "work" well with tablets, unless of course such games are your (only) cup of tea.

If you say "touch-screen controls will get better, there will be no need for dedicated controllers" or even "I will get used to whatever control scheme is used", you're just deluding yourself.

And if you say "I'll add a keyboard/mouse/gamepad as needed", then you pretty much degenerate into the "just short of a desktop" scenario described above.

Maes said:

And exactly how you plan doing it without proper controllers? Soon you'll realize that only point & click games "work" well with tablets, unless of course such games are your (only) cup of tea.

And even tap-to-click is not enough, because such point-n-click games depend on mouse-over feedback, so whenever I'm in TeamViewer, DOSBox or crippled Ubuntu installation, I use the entire screen with the same identical behaviour as a laptop trackpad.

Speaking of this, I wonder if Linux distros downloaded from Google Play Store work the same way as on the computer, or are they just proof of concept. Most of them require me to root my tablet, which I think voids the warranty.

Fluffles said:

Really? even with an 1.9ghz-3ghz dual core i5/i7 processor, 8GB RAM, an alright graphics card, 128GB SSD, usb ports, hdmi, full windows 8 OS? pretty much means you could play doom ports on the go with just the full windows 8 OS on itself. I'm really interested in the way this is going, only things which do concern me is it would definitely require insurance and the price of that first tablet (£700-£1000) at the moment.

And that has nothing to do with ergonomics...

Desktops and laptops aren't going anywhere. They fill completely different purposes, and that's enough for their survival.

Jodwin said:

And that has nothing to do with ergonomics...

Maybe with a direct brain interface...

The specs don't but whats different really is the whole able to use peripherals with this tablet, the whole multiple functions. Attaching a monitor to it with a proper version of windows.

It's basicly a powerful all-in-one pc in a tablet form factor which could mean you can hand hold your entire computer or laptop as a tablet.

It's just a brilliant idea which I've been waiting for someone to finally make.

I personally will love this piece of kit on my desk with a monitor, mouse and keyboard then just taking it around the house if I wanna use it as a tablet.

I'm such a weirdo how only I think this is a great idea haha

Aliotroph? said:

I think I met one person in Japan who owned a laptop. Everyone else was content with their phones.

I really really can't understand this attraction to tiny screens.
Whenever I go shopping for a new device then I always make sure that it has a wide and tall screen. My current laptop is 17.5" and I wouldn't dare in my sober state of mind trade it for a latest iPhone model.
And why the hell would I want to watch videos while standing outdoors at a bus-stop? How the hell is that even considered a convenience?
All that a phone is meant to do is allow you to talk and text. Period.

printz said:

And how do you expect to manipulate the desktop interface without needing extra materials that turn it into a 10.6" laptop, weak enough not to overheat? Not to mention that there are tons of good Windows programs designed for keyboard and mouse, not touchscreen gestures. Sounds like "less is more" case here.

Please read again what I said.

You may be right with this but that wasn't what I am talking about.
Tablets as they are pure consumer devices. All their UIs are so limited that you can't *produce* anything with them.

In other words: They are not suitable to replace a real computer. And as long as they can't do that it's pointless to say that they are the next generation of computing. They are toys - products you mostly do non-essential stuff with.

188DarkRevived said:

I really really can't understand this attraction to tiny screens.
Whenever I go shopping for a new device then I always make sure that it has a wide and tall screen. My current laptop is 17.5" and I wouldn't dare in my sober state of mind trade it for a latest iPhone model.
And why the hell would I want to watch videos while standing outdoors at a bus-stop? How the hell is that even considered a convenience?
All that a phone is meant to do is allow you to talk and text. Period.

Yet, for some people that's more than enough. Although very few people here on DW would settle on a phone or a tablet being their only smart device, there's a lot of people out there for whom it's more than enough. It's the people who use Internet for little more than Facebook and Email. When that's all you need, a smart phone is more than capable enough and there really isn't any point in investing money on anything else.

Besides, in the meantime, we have all kinds of other devices implementing clients to online services as well: Smart TVs, game consoles... I currently own three or four devices besides my computers that can watch Youtube videos (never tried if the 3DS supports those). Just try to imagine five or ten years forward...

There's no way that computer enthusiasts would settle for less, but for a lot of people even the current options for Internet use without an actual computer are more than enough.

Fluffles said:

It's basicly a powerful all-in-one pc in a tablet form factor which could mean you can hand hold your entire computer or laptop as a tablet.

Actually, if you strip a modern laptop of all of its peripherals (no keyboard, no big screen, no optical drive, no big battery), leave only the motherboard, get rid of the cooling system, severely underclock it/throttle it down so it doesn't cook itself to death and can work for a while using a fraction of its former battery capacity and finally cover it in a screen which is as big as the bare-bones mobo itself, then you'll get a tablet (or a netbook).

I fail to see how this can be "innovative" in any way. It sounds more like something that is done just because, well, it can be done, and nothing more, just because in some applications it's acceptable to trade all of the above (plus an inflated price tag) for increased portability.

I only think tablets will become the norm because reading documents, surfing the web, watching videos and playing games is what I think the majority of people are using computers for.

Maes said:

Actually, if you strip a modern laptop of all of its peripherals (no keyboard, no big screen, no optical drive, no big battery), leave only the motherboard, get rid of the cooling system, severely underclock it/throttle it down so it doesn't cook itself to death and can work for a while using a fraction of its former battery capacity and finally cover it in a screen which is as big as the bare-bones mobo itself, then you'll get a tablet (or a netbook).

I fail to see how this can be "innovative" in any way. It sounds more like something that is done just because, well, it can be done, and nothing more, just because in some applications it's acceptable to trade all of the above (plus an inflated price tag) for increased portability.

Well 1.9ghz isn't severly underclocked, most laptops run at 1.5ghz-3ghz and considering this tablet does the exact same as a laptop that's pretty cool. It's mostly showing how computers are when technology advances, the whole twice as small but twice as powerful theory. 90% of tablets are complete bollocks I do agree in general these tablets are rubbish and shouldn't even be brought. But when someone makes an extremely good tablet like this it will create a new line of tablets. It's like a small step to new technology which is actually useful.