Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. T

The Hobbit

188DarkRevived said:

The idea of humans crossbreeding with elves always seems to get me excited.

First catch your elf.

Spoiler

Santa doesn't count, he's a fake!

GreyGhost said:

First catch your elf.
Santa doesn't count, he's a fake!

Eww. Why the heck would I be after Santa's slaves? Even if they were real they're still far too short for me, despite me not being a particularly tall human.
Anyways, the ones that I had in mind are the Sidhe elf amazons from Heretic2. I control one of them almost every time that I play online, and she often pwns the others on the frag list.
She's been caught by me slightly over a decade ago.
So yeah, it's all good. Thanks.

Finally got around to seeing it. Liking the extra humour they've put into this one, gives it an overall lighter tone than the doom and gloom of LOTR. Didn't mind the CGI, but I preferred the cockney goblins from the original trilogy, they just seemed more sinister somehow.

It seems to suffer from the same slight plot hole as the first trilogy in that

Spoiler

if you can summon giant eagles that can carry you over long distances, why didn't you just do that to begin with?

Thought wizards were supposed to be intelligent.

Also, what's up with that sled? It's cool, but I can only assume there's some magic involved there unless friction works rather differently in Middle-earth.

DooMAD said:

Also, what's up with that sled? It's cool, but I can only assume there's some magic involved there unless friction works rather differently in Middle-earth.

Must be the wabbitses.

DooMAD said:

Also, what's up with that sled?

That was my favourite part of the whole film! I hope I see that funky forest-dwelling man with those hyper/high rabbits again in the sequels.

DooMAD said:

It seems to suffer from the same slight plot hole as the first trilogy in that

Spoiler

if you can summon giant eagles that can carry you over long distances, why didn't you just do that to begin with?

Or just get them to drop you off somewhere that doesn't involve a death-defying climb to get down from.

I'm with fraggle, I didn't think it reached the heights of Lotr, really.

The scenes in Bilbo's home just dragged on for too long. An hour into the damn film, they haven't even started. Oh, they're making a mess of Bilbo's home. It's funny, I get it. Next please.

The relationship bwteen Bilbo and the Dwarf king wasn't impactful, and Gandalf was a strangely subdued influence. it just rolled from fight sequence to fight seqence with precious little emotional impact, certainly nothing to compare to Frodo et al in Lotr, or Aragorn and Arwen.

When I look at Martin Freeman, I see Tim from The Office. It's like he's busted into a film set. Sorry bro, I like you and all, but...

But the scenes with Gollum were excellent, and the fights with the goblins were worthy. I'd give it 3/5 stars.

Do you know what really bothers me?
The fact that the company New Line Cinema has put so much effort into making film adaptations of the LOTR novels while putting so little effort into making film adaptations of Mortal Kombat games.

I mean, they recklessly rushed through the storyline of 3 whole games and tried to squeeze it all into only 2 films.
They never showed how Princess Kitana's mother Syndel was resurrected from the dead by Shao Khan and possessed by some other entity.
They never showed how Shao Khan killed Stryker and Kabal, despite showing Shao Khan bragging about this deed to his Elder God father.
And Sheeva never even got the chance to fight Liu Kang in Shao Khan's dungeon. She got lamely killed off by being squashed under a falling cage shortly after greeting him.
And Nightwolf just appeared out of nowhere and disappeared just as suddenly as appearing.

Compared to the LOTR films, that was such reckless and non-passionate production. I actually wish that they put more effort and stretched those old films to 3 hours.

188DarkRevived said:

The fact that the company New Line Cinema has put so much effort into making film adaptations of the LOTR novels while putting so little effort into making film adaptations of Mortal Kombat games.

I mean, they recklessly rushed through the storyline of 3 whole games and tried to squeeze it all into only 2 films.
They never showed how Princess Kitana's mother Syndel was resurrected from the dead by Shao Khan and possessed by some other entity.
They never showed how Shao Khan killed Stryker and Kabal, despite showing Shao Khan bragging about this deed to his Elder God father.
And Sheeva never even got the chance to fight Liu Kang in Shao Khan's dungeon. She got lamely killed off by being squashed under a falling cage shortly after greeting him.
And Nightwolf just appeared out of nowhere and disappeared just as suddenly as appearing.

Compared to the LOTR films, that was such reckless and non-passionate production. I actually wish that they put more effort and stretched those old films to 3 hours.

The first Mortal Kombat film is a classic, STFU

The second one, however, is probably one of the worst films ever made. Oh well.

188DarkRevived said:

So many people complain about film adaptations of video games, but it's not like screen writers are working with quality material in the first place. Mortal Kombat's story and characters are silly and hammy and shallow, much like most other games that have been translated into films - do you honestly expect them to be cinematic masterpieces, let alone if they followed the games' stories even more faithfully?

The most hilarious examples are people who moaned about Resident Evil (the film) having nothing in common with the game. Like watching someone walk down corridors solving absurdly cryptic puzzles for 9 hours is a model of a good movie.

You can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear, as they say.

DoomUK said:

So many people complain about film adaptations of video games, but it's not like screen writers are working with quality material in the first place. Mortal Kombat's story and characters are silly and hammy and shallow, much like most other games that have been translated into films - do you honestly expect them to be cinematic masterpieces, let alone if they followed the games' stories even more faithfully?

The most hilarious examples are people who moaned about Resident Evil (the film) having nothing in common with the game. Like watching someone walk down corridors solving absurdly cryptic puzzles for 9 hours is a model of a good movie.

In most cases this is an accurate observation. However, I'm betting that a film adaptation of the Heretic & Hexen series will be 100% flawless and accurate. In fact, it might even turn out to be better than the LOTR adaptations. The storywriters of that series have worked really really hard to make the final product be not as shallow or abstract as that of many other videogames.
Grrrr. If only the proof could already be presented in the form of some finished films. Damn those directors for not picking up the idea.

I don't think it's that video game movies need 100% accuracy. It's that they need to at least feel like they take their source material seriously.

The first Mortal Kombat movie did this. Liu Kang was a great fighter with personal motivations, and Shang Tsung was an evil bastard. The fate of the world hung in the balance of their fight.

The second one was like a fucking Power Rangers episode. It didn't even try; it was like they let retards drool over the script until it was runny and ruined just to make sure nothing quality survived into the actual shoot. Then the director had the actors jump around like monkeys and hoot like gorillas. The result was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Don't tell me you can't see the difference, and it cannot be to blame solely on the source material, considering both of these movies pull from the same universe. MK2 and 3 are very dark games, even if they have a lot of stuff that's cliche and a bit corny. Writers and directors who aren't total amateur hacks would know that to create a good movie, you work out that kind of stuff in the mix and keep what's compelling.

They just don't respect the source material they are working with enough to bother. That, or, they're just too sold on their own shitty ideas and want to replace the video game's canon with them.

Quasar said:

The second one was like a fucking Power Rangers episode. It didn't even try; it was like they let retards drool over the script until it was runny and ruined just to make sure nothing quality survived into the actual shoot. Then the director had the actors jump around like monkeys and hoot like gorillas. The result was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

There are some movies even Christopher Lambert will say no to.

Quasar said:

MK2 and 3 are very dark games, even if they have a lot of stuff that's cliche and a bit corny. Writers and directors who aren't total amateur hacks would know that to create a good movie, you work out that kind of stuff in the mix and keep what's compelling.
They just don't respect the source material they are working with enough to bother. That, or, they're just too sold on their own shitty ideas and want to replace the video game's canon with them.

YES! YES! YES! This is pretty much exactly what I tried to express in that previous post that I made up here. I just lacked the effective wording to make this thought seem more obvious to other readers.

Not all videogames have worse storylines than novels do, its just that some people are too stubborn to give them the equal amount of analysis that they deserve to get.
Tom Hall's "Doom Bible" can rival the efforts of people who published sci-fi novels. But the film directors didn't even want to look at it, did they? Hmph.

neubejiita said:

I do not remember this scene from the book.
img

I should imagine not; books are mostly words and very few pictures.

Quasar said:

MK2 and 3 are very dark games, even if they have a lot of stuff that's cliche and a bit corny. Writers and directors who aren't total amateur hacks would know that to create a good movie, you work out that kind of stuff in the mix and keep what's compelling.

There was a web series that was pretty amazing.

I watched The Hobbit, finally.

Complaints:-

• Bad pacing, unnecessary padding. Story took too long to get going, some other scenes didn't feel like they were driving the story forward.
  • The references to Sauron and stuff diminishes the effectiveness of Smaug as the story's antagonist. Should have at least been left until the third film before people started talking about an even bigger threat than the one that was being surmounted.
  • I'm not anti-CGI at all, but there were some really nasty digital effects. Particularly some of the stuff in the goblin cave.
Otherwise, I enjoyed it. I think some people are being far too negative about it. Perhaps I'm being influenced by the fact I'm a sucker for fantasy stuff, especially that which is as rich as Tolkien's universe, but it's very far from being a bad film.

I didn't really have a problem with the pacing. I enjoyed the beginning of the film quite a bit. My only real complaint is the over the top scenes where rock monsters are quaking about and people are somehow not falling to their doom (and yes, the final scene in the cave troll was a bit much). The over the top scenes rob the viewer of the sense of danger and risk --since if they can survive that, they can survive anything and there really isn't anything to worry about at all for the safety of our heroes. Contrast that to the first half (really the whole film) of FOTR where every time I watch it I'm so concerned Frodo isn't going to survive to Rivendell and will he be permanently affected by the morgul blade? Of course, LOTR is a better story than The Hobbit, so only so much criticism can be put on PJ, but lose the over-the-top scenes from the Hobbit and it would be a more compelling film.

I liked the film, BUT...

1) Found the start slow
2) The giant rock people seemed a bit over the top and I got confused what was actually happening at a few times during that scene.
3) The guessing game between gollum and Baggins was really really drawn out, I was almost cringing when they started yet another pointless guess question. One would have been enough!

I was also a little ensure about the giant rabbits, they were cool, but almost felt like I was watching something from Narnia!

I have no problem with CGI, but some bits were a bit too obvious!