Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xfing

KDiZD feedback 5 years late

Hey guys!

I know it's a bit late, but I registered only a while ago and they only just activated my account so I can post. I'd like to offer my feedback on the project.

It was fantastic and succeeded in most ways you hoped it would. The gameplay, the secret hunting and most of all, the wonderful scripting, technological advances and aesthetic value made this one of the most enjoyable Doom wads I've played.

If there's one thing I'd like to nitpick at, it's the many new monsters included. I know the more the merrier, but you could have at least gone with one kind of black imp instead of three. That made me feel like you threw in anything you could come across. Well, it could definitely have an in-universe explanation about demon diversity or something, but it did seem a bit weird to me.

Anyways, cheers and good luck with TSoZD!

Xfing said:

Hey guys!

I know it's a bit late, but I registered only a while ago and they only just activated my account so I can post. I'd like to offer my feedback on the project.

It was fantastic and succeeded in most ways you hoped it would. The gameplay, the secret hunting and most of all, the wonderful scripting, technological advances and aesthetic value made this one of the most enjoyable Doom wads I've played.

If there's one thing I'd like to nitpick at, it's the many new monsters included. I know the more the merrier, but you could have at least gone with one kind of black imp instead of three. That made me feel like you threw in anything you could come across. Well, it could definitely have an in-universe explanation about demon diversity or something, but it did seem a bit weird to me.

Anyways, cheers and good luck with TSoZD!

Just a suggestion: try not to bump old threads. See the date below the last post on here? Try making a note of that next time you post so you don't accidentally "necrobump" a thread. I like the enthusiasm though. :)

Well, I'm sorry. You're right about necroing. But on the other hand I didn't feel it was appropriate to create a new thread just to say what I had to say about the project... especially since this is the release thread. Well, I'll be more careful from now on :)

OFF: I could never understand, what's the problem with the "resurrection" of old thread...seriously, why does it hurt to anyone? No offense.

Katamori said:

OFF: I could never understand, what's the problem with the "resurrection" of old thread...seriously, why does it hurt to anyone? No offense.

yeah this about sums up how i feel about it. "just because old" isn't an adequate reason to bump. especially on a forum with as few members and posts as this one, personally i think it's ok

Tango said:

yeah this about sums up how i feel about it. "just because old" isn't an adequate reason to bump. especially on a forum with as few members and posts as this one, personally i think it's ok

Spoke from my heart! I received my first annotation for this and I was like "Dafuq?". Later, for the same type of warning which involved deleting my post in the "worst WAD cliches" thread, I became furious, because it was a question and I wanted to get f*ckin answer on it, but that damn rule... meh.

I think because it's annoying to reread stuff you've read years ago, when the thread is listed in the top 5 of active topics. And for me, someone who missed this thread years ago, I thought this was some kinda of elaborate joke until I read the posting dates. I was not amused.

Katamori said:

I suspect Doomworld is a necrophobia hotspot. It's an insidious ailment that can remain dormant for years and often only becomes evident when a member's promoted to forum moderator.

What's wrong with starting a new thread and including a link to the old one?

GreyGhost said:

What's wrong with starting a new thread and including a link to the old one?

Unnecessary abstraction, IMO. May as well keep the discussion within its original context.

Sometimes we have entire months of seeing the same boring threads (no offence), so really a few of the more interesting topics getting bumped from the grave for newer members to discuss them isn't going to hurt anyone.

I was quite amazed when I played Knee Deep in ZDoom. My impression wasn't tainted by any community drama or controversy. I only observed the final product. I really like when something I played when I was little, and further fantasized on how to enhance, became eventually for real. Also I see why it looks bad for others, but I like the chaotic level design and detail in all those maps. Not everything has to be tidy, especially in haunted moon bases. I admit the replay value is low though, so for now I'm looking forward to The Shores of ZDoom.

And now they split the thread without explaining anything. I smell a conspiracy that only gggmork can expose.

Memfis said:

And now they split the thread without explaining anything. I smell a conspiracy that only gggmork can expose.

In the form of a pyramid of rotating caco's no doubt. I do think that reading old threads that were bumped is a bit annoying and it's really annoying if a user just bumps to say "lol download is down like upload it back" or something along those lines, but if a user feels that something is wrong and needs to tell someone who is part of the project (who hasn't provided contact details for bugs etc) then I feel that it's necessary to a degree.

40oz said:

I think because it's annoying to reread stuff you've read years ago

I think it can be interesting to re-read threads I 've read years ago. I usually don't remember all the stuff I read years ago.

Tetzlaff said:

I think it can be interesting to re-read threads I 've read years ago. I usually don't remember all the stuff I read years ago.

Who sees it how... I've already said my personal opinion about this.

Nevertheless, back to topic: I've always been keen on these kind of stuff that takes loads of massive detailing and aesthetism/elitism. Since I've played both Claustrophobia series, I already know what to make myself up to. And here came the boom. No puritism, no ignorant level design (best example: non grid-fitting tile edged by some sort of dirty texture), just pure awesomeness. On the point of the congestion and that decoration may block you whilst fleeing from a horde of powered-up imps I agree, but routine players still have the way how to dodge situations like this. Absolute favourite.

I recently played this wad for the first time and thought it was pretty damn cool. Not keen on some of the monsters maybe, but overall it was a fantastic job I thought.

Then I looked up some old threads about it and found some pretty childish drama that surrounded the project at the time. Weird...

I can't even play it well, the difficulty is just ridiculous to me. Too many non-Doom features too. I like the looks though.

Ok, since the thread got separated there's no hurt in discussing the wad again.

Well apart from what I mentioned earlier, like 3 kinds of black imps (seriously, what the...), the wad is a lot of fun. The developers obviously did take great pride in it, but considering the amount of work that must have gone into this one can't really blame 'em. I wonder if all of the enemies and weapons will be making a return for TSoZD. - I hadn't been fond of the Grenade Launcher at the beginning, but after finding out it can end a Baron in three shots I took an immediate liking to it. The rifle was fantastic, definitely the strongest weapon I ever saw in Doom after the BFG.

The level designs themselves strangely reminded me of the game Strife - at least the automap look did, probably due to the high detail. Also, with a wad such as KDiZD one definitely had to spend a lot of time in follow mode on the automap, so the images definitely stuck. Most of the level designs were cool, even the terribly draggy e1m3 was fun in its own way. I'm worried, however, about some aesthetic choices, especially towards the end of the wad. Phobos Anomaly looked too hellish for episode 1, and I just wonder whether TSoZD will set themselves apart as more hellish still (not to mention Inferno itself when it comes).

Katamori said:

I'd say (or I've considered as a mod) that the main issues are people talking to members who are dead, gone, or may have changed their minds about what they said a long time ago, and the "new threads" function being flooded by "I already read this" threads that are uninteresting or confusing to people looking for current debates and comments.

While there's no hard rule on bumping threads and perhaps "a month" is a good general gauge on when a thread starts getting moldy, it depends on the topic or subforum, the necessity or urgency of a new reply, or whether it's a news comment (being more liberal on those encourages people not strictly in the community to comment or join in).

One legit way to refer to old threads without risking these issues is to make a new thread but include a link to the old one in the first post. People can refer to the old posts and maybe even quote some stuff from them without replies being encouraged systematically.