Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

Over Two Hundred Dead In Brazilian Nightclub Fire

A recent fire in a crowded Brazilian nightclub named Kiss broke out when a band was playing. The fire might have been started by a flare that the band had lit. This news is just horrible and it's incredibly tragic that all those people have died.

Read these news articles for more info:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/01/27/brazil-nightclub-fire/1867777/
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/01/brazil_nightclub_fire_leaves_2.html

NiTROACTiVE said:

A recent fire in a crowded Brazilian nightclub named Kiss broke out when a band was playing. The fire might have been started by a flare that the band had lit.

♫ Some stupid with a flare gun burned the place to the ground! ♫

/riff

I'm going to assume a fat and bald American gringo with a history of violence started the fire somehow during his last trip to Brazil.

The jokes must be funny because this happened in a "third world country", or do similar jokes on the holocaust and US school shootings count too?

As noted in the NJ.com article, a quite similar incident happened in my country a few years back.

We had one in my country about 12 years ago too. Everyone was acting very upset. But I still don't really feel anything as I have nothing to connect me to these people. Shit happens and it's of course a tragedy for anyone who are even remotely involved, but why this incident is reported on anywhere other than Brazil is beyond me.

OK there are two things that irk me about this whole thing - 1)I get that the bouncers are tasked with making sure people aren't trying to skimp out on their bar tabs, but from the sound of it this wasn't some minor fire that people were using as an excuse to not pay. Surely the security could've seen that and not kept people blocking the door (even if it was only for a few minutes)? 2) Why in the hell was there only one exit?! Surely you can't run an operation such as a nightclub and have an evacuation plan that rests on hundreds of people leaving through only one door?

Whilst GreyGhost's "Fire" might be a better song, I think this trumps it in the relevance stakes at least...

kristus said:
Shit happens and it's of course a tragedy for anyone who are even remotely involved, but why this incident is reported on anywhere other than Brazil is beyond me.

Someone would probably say it's a national issue, stated as such, moving even the president to act. That it's only natural that you'll see news about it internationally, especially when similar issues happen elsewhere perhaps highlighting global problems we can all warn each other about, but...

But my apologies, I tend to forget that what happens to brown people in the southern hemisphere is of no concern to the tall, pale skinned and gold haired descendants of the mighty viking lords, who faced dragons and slew giants!

Don't feel special. I'm just as uninterested in any random accident that I have no personal ties to. But you go on and hammer on that racism drum if that makes you feel better.

myk said:

the tall, pale skinned and gold haired descendants of the mighty viking lords, who faced dragons and slew giants!

*Puffs chest*

Kirby said:

Why in the hell was there only one exit?!

It all comes down to money, more exits = more bouncers = lower profits.

myk said:

But my apologies, I tend to forget that what happens to brown people in the southern hemisphere is of no concern to the tall, pale skinned and gold haired descendants of the mighty viking lords, who faced dragons and slew giants!

Unfortunately, the news media seem to take a perverse delight in presenting me with at least three disasters per day. While I can still sympathise with the people involved, being bombarded with images of human suffering (and the inevitable over-reporting of major disasters) is desensitising.

No sign of dragons or giants down here in Oz apart from some bones, probably all slain by the brown people.

Kirby said:

OK there are two things that irk me about this whole thing - 1)I get that the bouncers are tasked with making sure people aren't trying to skimp out on their bar tabs, but from the sound of it this wasn't some minor fire that people were using as an excuse to not pay. Surely the security could've seen that and not kept people blocking the door (even if it was only for a few minutes)? 2) Why in the hell was there only one exit?! Surely you can't run an operation such as a nightclub and have an evacuation plan that rests on hundreds of people leaving through only one door?

From what I had read in firsthand accounts, security thought there was a fight and barred exit for a few moments, then quickly realized the gravity of the situation and helped evacuate the building.

Five seconds~ can make a big difference in a fire spreading, and it probably cost some lives, but it's nowhere near some of the sensationalist reports I heard early on of them chaining doors and stuff o_O

Is very sad ... my condolences to their families ... ):
apparently happens in all countries... until the perfect, great, powerful gods, JAPANESE PEOPLE" have had their accidents...

myk said:

The jokes must be funny because this happened in a "third world country", or do similar jokes on the holocaust and US school shootings count too?

As noted in the NJ.com article, a quite similar incident happened in my country a few years back.

I think everyone is free to express his opinion even they are trolls jokes... but I think it is cruel... anyway my condolences to their families Too... D:

In my country, a similar accident happened too some years ago... It was one of most unfortunate accident of history of my country... and as always our government done nothing until today.

myk said:

I don't know how you derive racism from indifference.

While my condolences go out to all those affected, and 200+ lives is a lot of losses, I don't see why it's international news either. I wouldn't expect a similar tragedy in some nightclub in the UK to be known about all over the world, regardless of the skin tone or social or economical rank of it's patrons.

eargosedown said:
but it's nowhere near some of the sensationalist reports I heard early on of them chaining doors and stuff o_O

In the Cromañon incident here, the doors really were chained or locked to keep out people that wanted to join the show without a ticket.

Darkhero said:
I think everyone is free to express his opinion even they are trolls jokes...

I prefer as much expression as possible but there's also a sense of decency in public commentary. What if a relative or friend of a person who died in the incident visits Doomworld? Thus, when I'm not involved in the discussion directly, I often send offensive commentary about sad incidents to Post Hell.

DoomUK said:
I don't know how you derive racism from indifference.

I don't think I did, but rather mocked the indifference in context. Indifference itself isn't racist, but indifference in the face of racism or indifference that verges on belittlement can further it and form cushions where it may rest. Racism isn't just the racist extremists, it's also a society giving them elbow room and silently acknowledging their actions and thoughts. Racism is what racism does, and we don't need to be fully aware of it to participate to some degree. Case in point here, since I'd argue from previous instances that you're unlikely to see such jokes in some thread about a tragedy in central or western Europe or the US, and no one was likely thinking "I'll be called a racist" when they posted above while they could be thinking twice now about the impact of ridiculing such an incident across the ocean in another region.

I wouldn't expect a similar tragedy in some nightclub in the UK to be known about all over the world, regardless of the skin tone or social or economical rank of it's patrons.

Try to imagine what editors would do. There can be tons of reasons this can appear on the Internet (that already makes it available to the world) and then be carried to overseas publications. News sites and papers are full of articles about grave incidents from all over the place. Sleazy tabloids may do it for morbid reasons, but others do it because of empathy or, like I noted above, social and political relevance. People saying they don't understand why this would be posted about as international news are arguably projecting their personal and individual lack of empathy, rather than making sense about what we can expect in the news. I didn't see any good reason why this news is irrelevant other than vague and individualistic indifference.

that racism jab was silly, but i sympathize with your reasoning, myk. which makes me feel bad for posting this...

kristus said:

Don't feel special. I'm just as uninterested in any random accident that I have no personal ties to. But you go on and hammer on that racism drum if that makes you feel better.

CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE WHITE SCUM!