Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[name_withheld]

Help with level theme/traps/design etc.

Well the level's name is The Hell-hole (it's for my megawad I'm making) and I'm having trouble coming up with ideas for a level. With this problem I ask you, the Doom World Forum members, for things you'd like to see in this level. I think it should be a Hell based level as the name implies, in the previous level you have to enter a portal of flames to exit the level. I was thinking the level should be a giant pit with the exit hidden on one of the ledges or down a the bottom after a Baron/Knight filled maze. Well add your ideas when you give a crap or have a chance.

Some top traps i use time and time again :
Linedefs that trigger a closing door behind you, and open a door in front filled with nasties.
Floors that drop as you cross em.
A linedef that opens a door on the otherside of the level, making you wonder where the hell all those bloody demons came from when you return.
Number one, though, has gotta be the teleporting monsters. use it when people least expect it and scare the shit outta them.

That sounds pretty good to me. How about something like in Icarus where the monsters were in pits where there were no side def textures (this made the floor flats cover the pit giving the illusion of solid ground) and they would just spring up out of no where when you crossed a certain line def tag that raised the floor in the pits?

That's why I don't like making hell themed levels, when they're their base/city themed it's almost impossible to run out of ideas.

KingKill33 said:

That sounds pretty good to me. How about something like in Icarus where the monsters were in pits where there were no side def textures (this made the floor flats cover the pit giving the illusion of solid ground) and they would just spring up out of no where when you crossed a certain line def tag that raised the floor in the pits?

Hmm I've always felt this trap was a little unfair because there's no chance of guessing that it's there or preparing for it.It's fine if you play the map over because you know it's coming but if you don't know it's there on first play through and it's well implemented you're dead.Having said that I've played many maps with this trap and enjoyed them in the end after the first play through.Have a look at Sniper.wad in Newstuff #78 or look at my page for a link and demo,this trap is used several times.
What happened with JumpPort btw.

There's nothing wrong with a trap that surprises people, like that trap could. If you know it's coming, that makes it boring, IMO. Part of the fun of the game is that you don't know what's coming.

Jump Port is almost finished having it's gun~monster ratio tweaked. I just thought of a trap, you take a small room where the entire floor is the pit trick with the floor set at a nice distance down, and have a volcano like thing in the center of the room with the floor at the bottom set up a little higher than the other floor. When you pass a certain side def the room will look like a volcano is erupting, filling the room with lava, is this trick possible and if so would it look good?

KingKill33 said:

Jump Port is almost finished having it's gun~monster ratio tweaked. I just thought of a trap, you take a small room where the entire floor is the pit trick with the floor set at a nice distance down, and have a volcano like thing in the center of the room with the floor at the bottom set up a little higher than the other floor. When you pass a certain side def the room will look like a volcano is erupting, filling the room with lava, is this trick possible and if so would it look good?

It might (I'm really not sure about this) be possible in vanilla Doom, although it'd most likely look like shit.

However, I'm positive it's possible using the floorchange ACS scripting commands in ZDoom.